Community Message Boards

Thread: Lunch Ideas for House Guests

Lunch Ideas for House Guests

Ok, so here is the deal. My inlaws are coming for a week over the 4th. DH & I typically eat a late breakfast and a big dinner and skip lunch, but that doesn't work well with my older inlaws. I'm trying to think of some easy but tasty lunches since we'll be in and out most days (something that can be assembled in a short amount of time). I'm even leaning towards some heavy appetizers to have early afternoon with a glass of wine. Besides the typical deli meats/cheeses to make sandwiches, please inspire me to come up with some good ideas. TIA!

Egg salad could be an option as well. How about deviled eggs and a salad. Soup? Roasted tomato soup, fresh mushroom soup, or cream of broccoli? All can be served with a salad and crusty, toasted, garlic bread. Soup can also be made ahead. BLT's, meat loaf sandwiches[make ahead and refrigerate--I love meatloaf sandwiches], wraps with precooked chicken and... Meatball subs[make ahead] Cobb salad?

I like the heavy appetizers, but to me that =a lot of work for lunch.
    Last edited by vbak; 06-23-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Can you find out what your in-laws usually eat for lunch at home? If they don't normally eat a heavy lunch, sandwich and salad fixings may be all you need -- especially since it's for a whole week, not just one special day.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Thanks for the replies so far. It's suppose to be in the high 90s so I'm not hip on soup. I know my MIL loves different salads, but my FIL likes more heartier fare so please keep the ideas coming.

How about getting some salmon from Costco and poaching it ahead to serve cold. Your MIL could have it flaked on her salad and your FIL could eat it more like a steak with some other sides.

MaryMac, I love that idea. I'm also envisioning it with some chive cream cheese, tasty crackers or crostini & white wine. Thanks!

I would also ask what they would like; I do this with all my guests, even for dinner/breakfast so people enjoy what they eat.

Poached fish was a great idea.
    Grilled chicken breasts (can be made into a sandwich or diced into salads).
    Having eggs on hand for quick scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, and you could even make a quiche that can be microwaved or eaten cold.
    Some people like lunch meat, so having beef, turkey, pastrami, etc. would make things simple. You could make big chef's salads with lunch meat diced up.
    Fruit and veggies on hand and maybe a nice dip to go with.
    Heartier juices like tomato juice.
    I love sardines, so if someone had that on had it would be great.

Do they eat tofu? Marinated diced tofu or fake egg salad would work. Grilled tempeh as a sandwich filling or diced for salads.

If you live in an area with nice restaurants, make sure to leave them the opportunity to dine out if they enjoy doing that.

Have fun!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quiche and a salad is a light lunch I really like.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

How about grilling burgers? If they are getting up there in age they probably have trouble digesting beef later in the day, so noonish would be a good time for them to have burgers.

Thinking about the heat I would go towards lighter fare.

Gazpacho, my husband (this is one of his only recipes) has a great recipe that we all love. Let em know if you would like me to post it. Serve with Italian Bread. My favorite hot day meal.

Fruit Salads, always feels nice on a hot day. Maybe pair this up with Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad and/or Egg Salad. Serve with Bread, wraps and crackers so everyone can eat as much or as little as desired.

If it is in the 90's then the host and the guests would be more comfortable without the oven on!

Don't know your folk's palate.
    What about taco salad. You can precook the hamburger and heat that with the corn in the microwave before tossing all the ingredients.

I have served leftovers as a bed for eggs in a Mexican breakfast:

Taco Salad

Bag of tortilla chips
    1/2 lb. hamburger
    a box frozen corn
    1 small can kidney beans, drained
    8 oz. shredded cheddar
    1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
    1 small onion, diced
    2 tomatoes, chopped
    1 t. cumin
    1 t. oregano
    1/2 t. salt
    1 T. chili powder
    avocado, peeled and sliced
    3-4 garlic cloves minced
    1 small can sliced black olives
    1 small bottle Catalina dressing

Recipe

Cook corn according to directions.
    Saute crumbled hamburger.
    Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
    Drain fat. Return to pan and add spices.
    Put aside small amount of lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and all avocado slices for garnish.
    Combine all ingredients except salad dressing. Toss.
    Add salad dressing just before serving. Toss.
    Garnish with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and avocado.
    Can be served cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    Can you find out what your in-laws usually eat for lunch at home? If they don't normally eat a heavy lunch, sandwich and salad fixings may be all you need -- especially since it's for a whole week, not just one special day.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    I would definitely find out what they normally eat for lunch. Older can also mean "set in their ways"

Quote Originally Posted by DCook View Post
    I would definitely find out what they normally eat for lunch. Older can also mean "set in their ways"
    or not being able to eat certain things, or .............. Yes, please ask them for their likes and dislikes. I would not know what to do or say if someone served me squid salad for lunch

DH makes a MEAN grilled cheese sandwich

In either case, hope you have a nice visit. Please let us know the outcome, ok?

How about frittatas? They're hearty but not too much so, and they can be made ahead of time and served warm or at room temperature.
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post

or not being able to eat certain things, or .............. Yes, please ask them for their likes and dislikes. I would not know what to do or say if someone served me squid salad for lunch
    Hey speak for yourself. I'm an oldie myself (70), and I'd love for someone to serve me a squid salad!

But then again, what would you do if you asked your guests what they liked and they chorused back, "Squid salad! Definitely squid salad!"? Hee hee.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Guess I'm feeling silly today...

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    Hey speak for yourself. I'm an oldie myself (70), and I'd love for someone to serve me a squid salad!

But then again, what would you do if you asked your guests what they liked and they chorused back, "Squid salad! Definitely squid salad!"? Hee hee.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Guess I'm feeling silly today...

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    #1 Your still a baby

#2 I would point them in the direction of the closest seafood restaurant.

Wow, thanks everyone for the great ideas. You've give me some inspiration. Every time they visit I ask for preferences and get the "oh, dear don't bother" response and then inevitably they give me the "I'm famashed" look early afternoon. Then I always feel rushed to come up with a quick solution which usually means going out to lunch, eating more than we would at home and then nobody is all that hungry for the big dinner I planned & prepped for.

Wel it's cooled down here in Central NY and hope you are having some relief in Mo/KS. So I am going to suggest a tasty, lovely presentation for any luncheon salad you might choose. Just that little extra "I was thinking of you folks" touch:

Salad Bowl Puff

Ingredients:
    Cream Puff:
    2/3 cup water
    1/4 cup margarine
    1 cup Bisquick
    4 eggs
    Ham salad filling:
    1 pkg. frozen peas
    2 cups cubed cooked ham
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
    2 T. chopped onion
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 1/2 t. prepared mustard
    Heat oven to 400.
    Generously grease pie plate.
    Heat water and margarine to boiling in 2-quart saucepan. Add baking mix, all at once.
    Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1 1/2 min.
    Remove from heat.
    Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; continue beating until smooth. Spread in pie plate (do not spread up side).
    Bake until puffed and dry in center, 35-40 min. Cool. Just before serving, fill with Ham Salad Filling. Cut into wedges.
    Ham salad:
    Rinse frozen peas under running cold water to separate; drain. Mix in rest of ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hrs.

Substitute with any comparable salad

pasta salad?

A nice pasta salad to be used either as a side w/ a sandwich or on top of lettuce might be fun. Make it as light (just veggies) or as hearty (meats / cheese) as you want, depending on how you think they might be eating.

Lunch

Along with the tuna, and egg salad ideas..........my favorite this time of year is ham salad.