Community Message Boards

Thread: Single hung windows..do screens let in bugs?

Single hung windows..do screens let in bugs?

Am planning a major remodel of a 100 year old log cabin and am trying to decide on window choices. We like the idea if the Andersen single hung that only has 1 screen. My concern is that we are in a VERY buggy north woods setting and will have windows open all summer long (not hot enough for AC). Will noseeums and black flies find their way in? Any personal experience appreciated.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

Single hung looks just like double hung but top window doesn't move. Therfore you only have one screen...in the bottom... and at the top of the screen there is a seal (foam I think) where screen meets upper glass. Advantage is you only have to look thru one screen and in winter you move it up so view is clear and you don't have to store screens. Hope that makes sense. My concern is that foam might not seal well. We currently have sliding patio doos that seal in a similar way and in the summer bugs just march through it. I am hoping that since window is smaller it might wok better.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

That's all we've ever had and they work fine. I didn't even think they made the other kind anymore

I have them, and they work fine. Of course, I am in Missouri and not dealing with the hordes of biters that you are. (I love Missouri!)

Black flies won't make it in--no-see-ums, maybe. They are little!

We have wood double-hung windows in our (mostly) restored 147-yo home, and they are heavy to raise. We put the same kind (new Marvin double-hung) in an addition, and I really wish I had just scrapped the "historically accurate" and went with casements. They're so much easier to open, especially as I get older!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Our double-hungs are 40-year-old Pellas, and they worked well until one of the ropes attached to the spring mechanism broke on each of them. We have one fixed and are waiting for the guy to come do the other; it made a huge difference to the ease of operation but it wasn't an easy job.

Casements have their own issues; some of ours are hard to open, or to close completely, especially after they've been open or closed all season.

Yet another instance of the "grass being greener on the other side..."

I guess that I should figure out how to fix the heavy wood double-hungs, they're original to the house; having the ropes would help, but that's yet another project and quite a daunting one.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)