Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Recipe for Pasta Fasule

ISO Recipe for Pasta Fasule

We had lunch today at Zio's Italian Kitchen and I ordered the "Pasta Fasule Soup". It was outstanding!! When I searched for a recipe online I kept getting Pasta Fagioli. This is very similar to that but it was made with red lentils instead of beans. Does anyone have a specific recipe for this soup, or should I just substitute the lentils for the beans.

TIA.

I don't have a recipe for it, but I would sub the lentils in.

*Fasule* is the Italian pronunciation of Fagioli (beans & pasta.) You can substitute any legume you choose for the beans. There are probably as many variations of the recipe as there are housewives in Italy, depending on their family's taste, and availability of seasonal ingredients.
    Pinterest recipe instruction: "2 Pita Pockets cut in half length-wise". Actually, I cut mine crosswise - I'm such a rebel.

I agree with Lea. My Italian MIL taught me one way many years ago. I now have my own methods. Will say I've never heard of lentils in the soup. It's always some type of bean.

Here's a CL recipe for it -- the reviews gave it 5 stars. I haven't tried it, myself, but it's a start!

Pasta e Fagioli

Cooking Light OCTOBER 2000

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
    6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
    1 1/2 tablespoons bottled minced garlic
    1 cup water
    1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
    1 cup uncooked small seashell pasta (about 4 ounces)

1/2 cup grated Romano cheese, divided
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
    Minced fresh parsley (optional)
    Crushed red pepper (optional)

Preparation

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until browned, stir-ring to crumble. Add water, broth, and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta, 1/4 cup cheese, oregano, salt, pepper, and beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 minutes or until pasta is done. Let stand 5 minutes; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Garnish each serving with parsley and red pepper, if desired.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Check out Giada's Lentil Soup recipe. It looks like pasta e fagioli to me but with lentils.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaHamm View Post
    *Fasule* is the Italian pronunciation of Fagioli (beans & pasta.) You can substitute any legume you choose for the beans. There are probably as many variations of the recipe as there are housewives in Italy, depending on their family's taste, and availability of seasonal ingredients.
    Well, no: "fasule" is classic American/New Jersey "Italian". The Italian pronunciation of fagioli is fagioli (totally phonetic language, after all, right?). But yea - I wouldn't get hung up on dialects or this person's recipe or the other's. They're all variations on pasta and beans - you just have to keep searching and experimenting.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

This is one from Michelle Scicollone and is her grandmother's recipe. It was published in the Soprano's cookbook. It's one of my favorite renditions.
    Picking a simpler sample recipe, I tried that old-time stick-to-the-ribs mainstay of the economical Italian home cook, Pasta and Beans, or Pasta Fagioli (which, in the Neapolitan-American accent, comes out sounding like "pasta fazool.")

The recommended pasta for this is ditalini, a very small, short variety of macaroni, but most kinds of small pasta will work. Some other Pasta Fagioli recipes produce a soup-like dish, but this one results in a mixture that is quite thick.

PASTA FAGIOLI

8 ounces (1 cup) dried cannellini or Great Northern beans OR 3 cups canned beans, rinsed and drained

1 celery rib, chopped

2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed

1/4 cup olive oil

1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped fresh tomatoes or canned Italian peeled tomatoes

1 teaspoon tomato paste

1/2 cup water

1 small dried peperoncino (chili pepper), crumbled or pinch of crushed red pepper

Salt

8 ounces ditalini or spaghetti or other pasta broken into 1-inch pieces

If using dried beans, put them in a bowl with cold water to cover by 1 inch, and let stand for at least 4 hours, or overnight, in the refrigerator. Add more water if necessary to keep the beans covered.

Drain the beans and place them in a pot with fresh water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Cover the pot and cook until the beans are very soft, about 1 hour. Add more water if needed to keep the beans just covered. (You can substitute 3 cups canned beans, rinsed and drained.)
    Karen

Here is a baked version from Weight Watchers magazine that we enjoy. Numbers are WW points

Baked Pasta e Fagioli
    WW - 6

Makes 6 main dish servings

8 oz. small shells or elbow macaroni (about 2 cups) (12)
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes in puree
    1 T olive oil (3)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed with press (more for me)
    2 cans (15 oz) canellini beans (8)
    pinch crushed red pepper (1/4 tsp. ground black pepper for those who don't like it hot)
    1 pound fresh spinach, chopped, steamed and squeezed dry
    1 cup shredded Italian cheese (8)
    32 slices low fat turkey pepperoni (4)

Preheat oven to 400. Heat large covered saucepot of 2 cups of chicken stock water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and cook 2 min less than label directs. Drain and save stock and return pasta to saucepot.
    Drain tomatoes, reserving puree. Coarsely chop. Drain and rinse the cans of beans. Mash one of the cans into a puree.
    In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over med. heat until hot. Add onion and celery and cook 9-10 min. until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 min.
    Stir in tomatoes with their puree, beans, broth and pepper; heat to boiling over high. Reduce heat to med.; stir in spinach.
    Add bean mixture, reserved pasta water and 1/4 cup Romano cheese to pasta in saucepot and toss until well mixed. Transfer pasta mixture to 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish Sprinkle with remaining Romano. Bake 15 min. or until center is hot and top is golden.

Nutritional info from original recipe with regular pasta:
    Each serving about 350 cal., 20 g protein, 65 g carbohydrate, 6 g total fat (2 g saturated), 12 g fiber, 7 mg. cholesterol, 945 mg sodium.

I grew up in Brooklyn thinking it was pasta pejewel

Thanks everyone! I think Canice is right about me having to experiment. A lot of the recipes are very similar with a few tweaks to each one. I think starting out I'm going to sub the lentils. I think Giada's Lentil Soup will be my start. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I got this recipe from the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper years ago. It is without a doubt the most requested soup I make. Yum

SAUSAGE FENNEL SOUP

1 can (28) ounce plum tomatoes with juice
    4 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
    1 tsp. olive oil
    1 pound hot or sweet italian sausage, casing removed (I use sweet)
    2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into 1/2 dice
    2 medium to large onions, cut into 1/2 dice
    1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
    6 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1 can (15 1/2 ounce) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup cooked bowtie pasta

1. Drain tomato liquid into a bowl. Cut tomatoes into 1 inch pieces and place into bowl with the liquid. Set aside.

2. Mince the garlic. Chop the onion and the fennel & parsley. Set aside. Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and cook till browned, 6 minutes. Keep stirring it as it cooks.

3. Transfer sausage to a sieve and drain well, pressing on the sausage with a rubber spatula to remove all the fat. Return sausage to pot over medium heat and add fennel, onions, parsley and garlic. Cook uncovered till veggies are tender but still al dente, 12 minutes.

4. Add chicken broth and tomatoes with their liquid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a very slow but steady simmer, and cook COVERED for 30 minutes. Add the beans and pasta and cook only till they are warmed through and the flavors come together about 10 minutes.

Enjoy!