Community Message Boards

Thread: Lime Basil Bundt Cake

Lime Basil Bundt Cake

Last night at Supper Club we had a summertime meal and the actual dessert was a fruit salad. I decided that we might need a little bit more so I braved the heat in my kitchen from the oven and made the bundt cake...we absolutely loved it! I coated it at least 3-4 times with the lime glaze. So if you have an over abundance of basil and want to do more than pesto this is something you should try!!
    Thank you to Laura for sharing this wonderful recipe on your blog!!

Lime Basil Bundt Cake (found on blog The Spiced Life)
    Cake recipe very closely adapted from Kiss My Bundt; Glaze recipe by The Spiced Life

For the cake:
    1/3 cup basil leaves, minced
    1 1/4 cup whole milk (I used 2% by necessity)
    2 1/2 cups (315 g) AP flour
    2 1/2 t baking powder
    1/2 t salt
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    1 3/4 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1 t vanilla
    1 T lime juice
    zest of 4 limes

For the glaze:
    juice from 4 limes
    sugar to taste, about 1-2 cups

Mince the basil finely and then add it to the milk. Set it aside and let it steep for 10 minutes at a minimum, to let the basil oil mix with the milk.

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter and flour a 9 inch, 10 cup bundt pan. Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.

Beat the butter and lime zest in an electric mixer until creamy, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the sugar with the mixer on medium speed, and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes more. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Beat in the vanilla and lime juice.

Alternating ingredients, with the mixer on low speed, mix in the flour mixture and basil milk in 4 and 3 additions, respectively, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake for about 40 minutes, you will know the cake is ready to come out when a cake tester comes out clean or with only a few crumbs attacher, and the sides of the cake have begun to pull away from the pan. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.

While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. I like a tart glaze, so I used the remaining lime juice from the 4 limes. Mix this with a cup of sugar and bring to a boil in a small saucepan. Taste, and if you want it sweeter, add more sugar. Let boil for 5 minutes and then remove from the he

After inverting the cake onto a cooling rack, brush the warm cake with the warm glaze. I brushed on about 3 layers; the tart-sweet lime glaze is my favorite part so I like a good layer of it! Cool before slicing.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.-Proverbs

Wow - this sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Hey thanks, I am glad you liked it!
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Oh, wow, this sounds delicious! I have a bumper crop of basil this year and have made many batches of pesto. Thanks for sharing it.

Gaye
    Calm.Healthy.Sexy. The Life You Really Want

I made this cake yesterday. Wow, it is delicious!! I love the subtle basil flavor and the lime - so good! My limes were really big, so I used the zest from 3 limes in the cake and the juice for 3, plus about 1.5 cups of sugar for the glaze. I'd never made a glaze before and expected it to be thick and white, but it was thin and clear. Brushed on several coats of glaze for a nice tang. The recipe said to turn the cake out on a cooling back and brush the glaze on the warm cake. Make sure to put a plate or something under the cake on the rack or you'll have a mess on your counter. I shared with neighbors and co-workers and everyone loved it. Highly recommend.

I made this cake for a department picnic yesterday and it also won rave reviews. The basil flavor was very subtle--if I hadn't known it was in there, I probably wouldn't have noticed. The green flecks are very pretty within the cake, though. I omitted the glaze due to concerns about stickiness and yellowjackets and just dusted powdered sugar on top instead. This was a keeper!
    Alicia

So glad I read all the reviews. My reading brain didn't process this as something I would enjoy. Must try

I made this cake for a tailgate dinner yesterday. I actually have the book it was printed in, so I was able to compare the published vs the very closely adapted (Laura enhances the vanilla in the one above). I followed the more vanilla since I have a tendency to be generous with vanilla anyway and it was not too much. I used the lime zest since I didn't have lime oil and saved a generous pinch of the zest for the glaze (my limes seemed large). The flavor is still lime-basil (but softly -- not too strong, not sharp or tart) and then a moist, buttery cake. Nice texture on the cake too.

I can see this cake at home with a brunch or luncheon as well as afternoon snacking or a not too heavy evening dessert -- but it is not something you need to have a special occasion to make.

Why am I not surprised you also have the book, Beth?
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I was trying to remember if it was one we knew we both had. We got some good ones. I see you just posted about another cake from a book I have. I will have to try it, but I am craving carrot cake and pumpkin lately. Looks like I may need to satisfy a spice fix first.

Feel like I have not had many cakes up lately so not sure which one. I DID however just find an all bundt monthly blogging event I am pretty excited about. I also just made 3 bundts this past weekend--an earl grey chocolate (original recipe at shutterbean, adapted from real simple I think), a banana covered in chocolate ganache (I hate banana so I did not try but DH said was amazing, original recipe from my baking addiction) and last, my favorite, a citrus glazed spiced zucchini cake that I adapted from Martha Stewart. The theme this month for the bundt event--which I just found so I will be posting late--is zucchini so that one will be posted soon. And oh yeah in case you cannot tell it was carnival weekend and I learned the hard way don't write zucchini on the outside of the box unless you want your cake to be picked last in the cakewalk lol. The first 2 cakes went quickly but that poor thing sat there a long time. And it was soooo good. Silly kids.

Next month the theme is pumpkin and I am sposed to post on oct. 3. I think I am going to do Regan Daley's orange soaked breakfast pumpkin cake which I have not made since my kids were babies.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Here is a link to the September BundtAMonth if you are interested in finding loads of links to bundt cakes.

http://bakerstreet.tv/2012/09/bundta...ni-bundt-cake/
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Thanks. I am ready to do some baking, but just when I thought I was going to have a little time, I got some new things plopped in my lap. It may be a while yet, but I'll be reading when I can and may join in (behind the scenes most likely) later.

Do share the pumpkin orange cake -- sounds yummy. And do I know what you mean about putting zucchini in the name of anything. Silly kids (and some grown ups)!

Beth I just made the orange pumpkin cake and it is scheduled to be posted on Oct. 3 (not typed yet). I will do my best to remember to come share when it is typed.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Look forward to it. I'm making chex mix and cookies for the weekend's marching competition. I need to make something new for fun.