Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to Do with Watermelon?

What to Do with Watermelon?

Our cantaloupes fizzled out but our watermelons are going great guns; I'm not sure what to do with all of this bounty. They're sweet as sugar but there's only so much watermelon one family can eat. I've tried dehydrating them in the past, but they're kind of funky that way. Ideas?
    Chacun à son goût!

What they did at parties at my previous job was to halve them, cut slits into the flesh, and pour vodka over them. Keep real cold, and carve our cubes to whoever wants them.

So, throw a party...

That's funny! Somehow I don't think it would go over well around here, though, and I don't like vodka myself; wine's about as high in alcohol content as I go.
    Chacun à son goût!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Watermelon Sorbet

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------

5 pounds seedless watermelon, cut into small chunks (6 cups)
    1/4 cup sugar
    Grated peel of 1 lime
    Pinch salt
    1/2 cup light corn syrup

Directions

Using a blender, puree the watermelon; you will need 4 cups watermelon
    puree.
    In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup watermelon puree, the sugar and lime
    peel to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves;
    season with the salt. Pour in the remaining 3 cups watermelon puree, then
    whisk in the corn syrup until incorporated. Pour the watermelon mixture
    into a 9-inch metal cake pan and freeze until firm, about 4 hours or
    overnight.
    Let the frozen watermelon soften at room temperature for 5 minutes.
    Using a butter knife, break up the frozen puree into 2-inch pieces.
    Transfer the pieces to a food processor in batches and pulse until smooth.
    Store the sorbet in a freezer-safe container for up to 1 week. Let stand
    for 5 minutes before scooping.

Replace the corn syrup with sweetened condensed milk to make ice cream.

Source:
    "Everyday with Rachel Ray-June 2007"

I would trade them with someone that has a overabundance of something they are trying to get rid of that you want. This is done quite often in our area.

That's a good idea, but we only know one other couple who has a garden like ours, plus we're organic and most other people don't bother with that.
    Chacun à son goût!

Here are two popsicle recipes. I tried the first one and will try the second one

http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2012/...popsicles.html

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...elon-popsicles

Other ideas:
    Watermelon salad (usually with feta)
    Watermelon salsa
    Watermelon Agua Fresca (and I bet you could freeze this and defrost it when you want to have a taste of summer in the middle of the winter)
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Here are a few different recipes with different ways to use watermelon. I really love the Eating Well Watermelon Gazpacho.

Chilled Watermelon Soup
    We added fresh lime juice for tang and honey for extra sweetness. If your watermelon is good and sweet, omit the honey. For a pretty presentation, garnish with watermelon balls and fresh mint sprigs. | Southern Living JULY 2003
    Yield: Makes 4 cups
    · 4 cups seeded watermelon cubes
    · 1/3 cup apple juice
    · 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    · 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
    · 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    · 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
    · 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    Process first 5 ingredients and honey, if desired, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill 1 hour. Serve in individual bowls with a dollop of yogurt.

Watermelon Gazpacho
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/wa..._gazpacho.html
    From EatingWell: August/September 2005
    The delicate flavors of cucumber and watermelon go hand in hand to create a sweet-and-savory chilled soup, perfect as a first course on a hot night.
    6 servings, generous 1 cup each | Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes
    Ingredients
    · 8 cups finely diced seedless watermelon, (about 6 pounds with the rind) (see Tip)
    · 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
    · 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
    · 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    · 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
    · 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
    · 2 tablespoons minced shallot
    · 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    · 3/4 teaspoon salt
    Preparation
    1. Mix watermelon, cucumber, bell pepper, basil, parsley, vinegar, shallot, oil and salt in a large bowl. Puree 3 cups of the mixture in a blender or food processor to the desired smoothness; transfer to another large bowl. Puree another 3 cups and add to the bowl. Stir in the remaining diced mixture. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
    Nutrition Per serving : 116 Calories; 5 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 4 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 18 g Carbohydrates; 2 g Protein; 2 g Fiber; 296 mg Sodium; 345 mg Potassium
    1 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
    Tips & Notes
    · Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
    · Tip: Melon selection & storage: Look for symmetrical unblemished melons, without flat sides, that have a creamy yellow spot on the bottom indicating ripeness. At 92% water, this fruit should feel heavy when you heft it. Precut melon flesh should be dense, firm and appear moist. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or keep in a cool, dark spot. Cover the cut surface of melon with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Watermelon Gazpacho
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
    Ingredients
    · 1 large tomato, pureed
    · 1/2 serrano chile
    · 2 cups cubed fresh watermelon
    · 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    · 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    · 2 tablespoons minced red onion
    · 1/2 cucumber, seeded and minced
    · 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, plus more for garnish
    · Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    · 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    Directions
    In a blender, puree the tomatoes, chile, and 1/2 of the watermelon. Pour in the red wine vinegar and olive oil and pulse. Add the onion, cucumber and dill and season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Pour into chilled bowls and sprinkle with dill, feta, and remaining watermelon. Serve.

And for something completely different, but very nice if you like goat cheese:

Herbed Goat Cheese-Melon Party Bites
    Southern Living AUGUST 2012
    Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings
    · 1 small watermelon
    · 1 (4-oz.) goat cheese log, softened
    · 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    · 1/2 teaspoon salt
    · 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    · Garnishes: fresh basil and freshly ground pepper
    Cut half of watermelon into 1-inch-thick slices. Cut slices into 25 rounds, using a 2-inch round cutter. Scoop just enough melon from tops to form indentations, using a melon baller. Stir together goat cheese, 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil, salt, and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper. Spoon into indentations. Chill 1 to 2 hours. Garnish, if desired.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

Thanks, those look like some good ideas! Any thoughts about how to save some for winter?
    Chacun à son goût!

WATERMELON and RED ONION RELISH

Serves 4-6

1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
    1 C cubed watermelon, (about 1/2-inch cubes), chilled
    2 Tbsp EVOO
    1 Tbsp champagne vinegar*
    1 Tbsp chopped mint or chives
    1 Tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
    1 tsp finely minced jalapeno
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Prepare a hot grill, or preheat the broiler. Grill or broil the onion slices for 3-4 minutes per side, or until evenly charred. Chop the onion slices into 1/4-inch pieces.

In a large bowl, combine the all ingredients. Toss, taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed. Cover and refrigerate unmtiol well chilled.

Serve cold, straight from the fridge. for a wonderful crunchy contrast to tender meat or vegetables hot off the grill.

*You can substitute another flavorful vinegar here.

WATERMELON MARGARITA

Makes 4 powerful drinks

A 2-lb chunk of watermelon (about 1/8 of a watermelon), rind removed and flesh cut into chunks

1 lime

Coarse salt

9 oz high quality tequila, such as Patron Silver

2 oz Cointreau

4 oz fresh lime juice

1 oz Simple Syrup*

For garnish, reserve either 4 small chunks of watermelon, or remove 4 strips of zest from the lime. Cut lime into quarters and set aside.

Set a strainer or colander over a bowl. With clean hands, squeeze the remaining chunks of watermelon over the strainer to extract the juice-- you'll need 3/4 C of watermelon juice.

Rub the outside rims of 4 martini glasses with the lime, then invert each glass into a container of coarse salt, or onto a plate of coarse salt, to coat the rim.

Put the watermelon juice, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and simple syrup into a large cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Cover, and shake vigorously for about 20 seconds.

Strain into prepared cocktail glassers and garnish.

*Simple Syrup

Makes about 3 Cups

1 C sugar
    2 C water

In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and water, and briong to a simmer over medium heat, stirring and swirling the pan to dissolve the sugar. Dip a pastry brush in hot water and wipe down the sides of the pan to dissolve any sugar crystals clinging to the sides. Simmer for two minutes without stirring, remove from heat and let cool. (The syrup keeps for weeks in the refrigerator, anmd is good for sweetening bar drinks, iced tea, or can be used in many desserts.)

Variation: For Mint Simple Syrup, add a large bunch of mint to the hot syrup. Once cooled, cover and let syrup infuse for at least 2 hours in the fridge, then strain the mint from the syrup.

All recipes taken from Frank Stitt's Southern Table

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Thanks, those look like some good ideas! Any thoughts about how to save some for winter?
    "To freeze watermelon: Chop the melon into small cubes (or balls). Remove all seeds. Then, flash freeze on a baking sheet, and transfer to freezer bags." You could use this for Smoothies.

In the freezer section of the grocery store you can find bags of mixed cantaloupe, honeydew, green grapes and watermelon. They are in a light simple syrup, and served *just thawed*. (I used to freeze this melon mixture, but haven't in a long time, only because I forgot about it.)

Make Watermelon Sorbet (recipe from Epicurious)

8 cups cubed (1 inch) watermelon, seeds and rind discarded
    1 cup Simple Sugar Syrup
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Puree the watermelon cubes in a food processor. Measure 4 cups of the puree and place in a bowl. Add the Simple Sugar Syrup and lemon juice and stir well. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...#ixzz23p06ekDD
    My new favorite saying: "Her cooking' was so bad that the flies got together and fixed the hole in her screen door."

I wonder whether you can freeze it without the simple syrup. One of the things I like about fruit is that it doesn't need sugar, especially if I'm trying to avoid it!
    Chacun à son goût!

The frozen melon isn't swimming in syrup, it is just enough to barely coat the fruit. I can't really answer your question, because I always added that small amount, without questioning it. (My attitude about recipes was much different in those days!)
    My new favorite saying: "Her cooking' was so bad that the flies got together and fixed the hole in her screen door."

I tried the chilled watermelon soup. It is delicious and very refreshing.

Not tried and true but if you google preserving watermelon, I found recipes for watermelon jelly, watermelon wine, pickled rinds and dehydrated watermelon.

You can try them all if you have a HUGE overabudance!

I saw these on Punchfork and thought of this thread.

Watermelon and Feta Skewers

What a wealth of things to do with watermelon! Thanks, everyone!
    Chacun à son goût!

What a wealth of things to do with watermelon! Thanks, everyone!
    Less than two large watermelons would "do" everything mentioned so far, so what are you going to do with the "bounty"?
    Last edited by Gumbeaux; 08-17-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Watermelon makes a great salsa, especially when paired with canteloupe and/or pineapple. Add some jalapeno, mint, and/or basil and lime juice. Great with grilled fish pr meats. I've also cut chunks or made melon balls with the basil and/or mint as a salad or light dessert.

You can also make Aqua Fresca with watermelon. While we make lemonade, in Mexico they make refreshing drinks of just about any fruit. Here's one from Whole Foods that doesn't add sugar.

Watermelon Agua Fresca

Ingredients:
    6 pounds seedless watermelon, cut into 2-inch pieces
    2 cups cold water, divided
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
    1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
    Ice cubes
    Lime slices and mint leaves for garnish (optional)

Method:
    Cut the watermelon flesh from the rind. In a blender, process half the watermelon pieces with 1 cup of water until smooth. Pour through a strainer into a pitcher. Repeat the process with the remaining melon and water. You should end up with about 8 cups of juice. Stir in the lime juice and agave. Pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish with lime slices and mint.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    Less than two large watermelons would "do" everything mentioned so far, so what are you going to do with the "bounty"?
    You WOULD point that out....

I have no idea. I may try to freeze some.
    Chacun à son goût!

Can't remember if you do canning. Would you be inspired by Watermelon, Green Apple and Pink Grapefruit as a combination? It is the only canning recipe I can remember seeing the pulp part of the fruit in. You can make pickles with the rind....

We had watermelon and pumpkin plants that went crazy until we had a couple of very wet weeks and we lost a lot of the plants just as they were about to set. We have had a few watermelons, but I have critters eating them before they get large and ripen. I thought we might have your problem but we have yet to have anything come inside the house. I was even more excited about the Cinderella and Fairy Tale pumpkins. Will try again next year for sure.

Beth, would that drink keep in the refrigerator, or does it have to be drunk immediately? Sounds really refreshing.
    Chacun à son goût!

We were posting at the same time, Beth. No, I don't can.

I lost my squash to squash bugs, and then they went and colonized my cucumbers and cantaloupes. I saw them in the watermelons this morning, and right now the vines look a bit limp, but that may be because I was moving around in them. I still think the melons will ripen. But if they don't that will take care of some of my problem.

You need to do something to keep the critters out!
    Chacun à son goût!

Years back a friend sent us a watermelon salad she found in Glamour magazine attributed to Stephanie Izard, a Bravo Top Chef winner. We really liked the combination of flavors.

Watermelon, Arugula and Feta Salad

In a small saucepan mix 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 tbs. honey; simmer and reduce until syrupy, 6-7 minutes. Cool. Toss 4 cups seeded and cubed watermelon with arugula leaves; drizzle with vinegar reduction. Top with 1 cup crumbled feta cheese.

The original recipe suggested the salad as a side for grilled chicken breasts.

Beth, would that drink keep in the refrigerator, or does it have to be drunk immediately? Sounds really refreshing.
    They keep iced jugs out in restaurants here, so I would think it would be fine in the fridge for a few days.

I hope bugs don't get all the bounty. I don't know what we can do here. First we had the squirrels getting everything, then we discovered our neighbors had rats under their deck (because the previous owner was phobic about the garden snakes that probably took care of anything in the past), but we have possums and coons -- I think they are probably our main culprit now. We get the occasional skunk, but they don't climb so they rarely make it into the back yard. I don't know what you can do that is effective against the possums and coons. They seem to be able to get into anything. Maybe I need to plant more so we have enough to share. Who needs a yard?

In my experience possums go under fences, so you have to make sure that that's hard for them to do. Have you tried a strand of electric fence for coons? We don't have trouble with critters, except for voles, but it's the bugs that do us in. I'm not sure if what I have now are regular squash bugs or the invasive stink bugs that I've heard so much about, but they're all over everything. I'm heard that Pyola, sold by Gardens Alive, is helpful with those so I'm going to try that next year.
    Chacun à son goût!

In our yard, the possums run along the top of the fence where the cross support is. Then they can go down the trees. I don't think I can stop that as long as the dogs stay in at night. I think my lab would volunteer to act as sentry for me. She goes crazy at them and has knocked a couple down then barks and barks for me to come see. She has called me out to see them on the fence too. The possums have such teeth and the raccoon such claws that I am sure they could get through the melon rinds.

Wouldn't the electric fence wire be a problem for the squirrels, birds, etc.? We have bird feeders out. I don't want to zap the birds.

We have a single strand of electric around our garden fence and I've never seen any problems with it. We too feed the birds and have a lot of them; they're very active in the garden.
    Chacun à son goût!

This recipe for Watermelon Jalapeno Limeade showed up in my inbox today

Beth - I read about someone who tops their fences with very loose (wobbly) chicken wire to deter critters. Might be worth a try