Community Message Boards

Thread: Guess I'll FINALLY join in! (Reviews from October)

Thumbs up Guess I'll FINALLY join in! (Reviews from October)

Well, after lurking for many, many months, I've made the decision to become an active member of this board! (Along with a renewed dedication to cooking on a regular basis! )

This weekend I went on a cooking spree and made two of the quick dinners in the October issue of CL (my apologies to those who have not yet received this issue - it's fantastic!).

I made the Spinach and Mushroom Enchiladas with the Black Bean Salad on Sunday night. They were very easy to throw together and tasted wonderful! The Black Bean salad was a bit too cider-y for my taste, but it went well with the enchiladas.

Last night I made the Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallots and talk about YUMMY! I would never have thought that something so simple would be so delicious!! My roommate RAVED about this. I served this with the roasted asparagus (as suggested), which was also good.

Tonight I will make the lentils with rice dish in the article about Middle Eastern cooking. I must say that this board can be credited with my renewed desire to cook. You guys consistently bring up wonderful sounding recipes that I must try and keep me interested in eating healthy, and delicious, food. So....Thanks!!

Thumbs up Welcome...

traci,
    Thanks for the reviews...and welcome to the board! For myself, the reviews are my favorite part...it's like having your own, personal critique... I'm anxiously awaiting the Oct issue in PA ;-}
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

welcome traci june!

I'm glad you liked both of those recipes, because I have both of them marked to try. The enchiladas, especially!

Thanks for the reviews,
    Chrisi

Traci, welcome! Glad you've decided to jump in and offer your reviews... both recipes sound great. I'm especially excited to try the pasta with squash and shallots... the photo was really luscious-looking.

Looking forward to your review of the lentil-rice dish, as I have that one marked to try as well!

Welcome to the boards. I'm sure you will find as I have that everyone here is so friendly and helpful. From what I have been reading here and in another thread it looks like October is going to be a good one.
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

Traci June-

Welcome to the boards! The Pasta sounds delish. Just a warning- these boards become VERY addictive.

Welcome Traci! Yes, we addicted to merely being voyeurs do finally have to join in the fun and frolic of this board..its a great little community! Thanks, as well for the review..I haven't seen the new issue yet, but the first time I read the squash, I knew it would be in our kitchen before long.
    Karen

OK - believe it or not, I was just in my kitchen wondering what to do with the butternut squash and asparagus I have. I have lots of pasta too. Is there any way someone could post the recipes for the Butternut Squash and Pasta and Roasted Asparagus?

I know it's a pain to type them out - maybe if someone could listthe ingredients I can figure it out. I just checked my mail and the October issue isn't here yet.

Thanks! Louise

Linda-

That is the coolest thing I have seen in a while! SO impressive.

Cool

Originally posted by Molli526
    Linda-

That is the coolest thing I have seen in a while! SO impressive.
    I aim to please!

Wecometo the BB and the nicest bunch of people on the net! I have to agree that the reviews and helpful info are the best part. ( and addictive is an understatement!!! )

Would you ,or anyone else, mind posting the enchilada recipe? It sounds wonderful.

TIA
    Erin

Lentils too

I tried the lentil and rice dish last night and it was very nice. Very simple but quite tasty. In fact, I kept going back for a nibble after dinner - must've been those onions!!

And I'd be happy to post the squash and asparagus recipes, but it will have to wait until I get home. I can remember some of it, so let me see what I can do here -

4 oz fettucini
    3 c. butternut squash (1 in cubes) - I used the whole squash which made about 6 cups!
    8 shallots (cut in 1/2)
    1 tbsp dark brown sugar (Added some for my overabundance of squash)
    salt
    pepper
    olive oil
    sage

Toss the squash and shallots with olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees (I think!) for 20 or so minutes, stirring occassionally. Boil pasta while the veggies roast. Toss veggies, olive oil, and sage and serve.

For the roasted asparagus - toss asparagus with olive oil, salt, and crushed garlic and roast for 10 minutes.

Hope this is close - good luck!!

Traci

Traci - thanks for the recipes. I'm going to try the asparagus tonight. I did use up the squash last night, but mine was just OK (roasted with onions). I can't wait to try this one!

Louise

squash and pasta recipe

I just made the pasta and squash recipe last night and it was delish! The recipe posted above seems correct, but the temp was 475. You use one teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. I think the olive oil was 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons. It says mix in 2 teaspoons of it with the squash and everything else except the sage and pasta before roasting. After it is roasted you mix in the sage. Before you add the squash to the pasta, you mix the remaining olive oil in the pasta. I have to admit I used more olive oil than it called for since the pasta seemed to dry. I also used more brown sugar. But, like I said, it was incredible. I've never had butternut squash before, but will definitely repeat this one.

Originally posted by Linda in MO

I aim to please!
    You aim to TEASE you mean... OK, spill it Linda! How'd you DO that???
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Made the Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallots tonite. I thought it was sooo yummy. DH thought it was okay...too "sqaushy" for him (he is not a big squash lover). We had it with tilapia cooked in parchment.

Anita

Welcome and thanks for posting your reviews! I can't wait to get the October issue. I think it will be very late for me as we just moved and I did not get my address changed in time for this issue. Oh well! Now I have something exciting to look forward to in the mail!

I made the Pesto sauce tonight. And, even though I was cooking in my Mom's kitchen - and the blender refused to even attempt to do the work of a food processer. It came out very good - I will make it again. I added some cooked chicken breast to it as well.

My only comment would be - anyone know of a cheapie place to buy pine nuts? I spent about $5 on a little bag at the supermarket. A little pricey if you ask me.

pine nuts

Try a Costco if there is one near you. You can get a big bag for a reasonable price and just freeze what you don't need. I have some which have been frozen for quite a while and just take out and toast what I need.