I got 2 ribbons so far at the Fair:
Blue for gluten-free Polish sausage stew.
Judge gave wonderful comments: delicious taste; well-blended and very nice pleasing color. Great recipe - I am gluten free judge, so thank you! Vert good job!
Gluten – Free Polish Sausage Stew
2 T Cornstarch
2 cup milk
3 tsp. garlic
1/3 cup brown sugar
27 oz.. sauerkraut
1 ½ lbs kielbasa
4 medium potatoes
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup shredded smoked gouda
1. Cut kielbasa into pieces.
2. Combine cornstarch with milk
3. Dice potatoes and onion.
4. Drain sauerkraut. Rinse in cold water to reduce salt.
5. In crockery slow cooker, combine sugar, sauerkraut, kielbasa, garlic, potato and onion.
6. Pour cornstarch mix over.
7. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hrs. or on high heat for 4 hrs.
8. Stir in cheese
9. Spoon into serving bowls; garnish with parsley and additional shredded cheese.
Second place for vegetarian pastitsio
Judge: this dish is so delicious.. wanted to keep eating it. Got that cinnamon flavor which I loved. I wonder if fresh tomatoes would have done instead of canned. I love the penne! Great job! Yummm!
1 T plus 2 t salt
2 T olive oil
2 cups chopped, drained canned tomatoes
1 cup canned tomato puree
1/2 t ground cinnamon
freshly ground pepper
1 lb. penne
½ cup bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 T butter
1 cup finely chopped onions
¾ cup Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 lbs. veggie crumbles
1 T butter
4 cups milk
4 t finely chopped garlic
1 t salt
2 t oregano
½ cup flour
1. Boil penne in water with 1 T salt for 10-15 min. Drain immediately and set aside.
2. Saute onions & garlic in 1 T olive oil for 5 min. or until soft and transparent.
3. Add meat, mashing and cooking until pink disappears
4. Stir in tomatoes, puree, garlic, oregano, cinnamon and 2 t. salt and few grindings pepper; bring to boil over high heat.
5. Take pan from heat.
6. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs and egg. Set aside.
7. To make cream sauce, combine 3 cups milk & butter in small pan until bubbles appear around rim of pan.
8. Remove from heat.
9. In saucepan, beat eggs until frothy.
10. Add 1 cup milk and 1 t salt and beating constantly, add flour, T at a time.
11. Stirring constantly, slowly pour in heated milk in thin stream and bring to boil.
12. Continue to boil until thick and smooth. Set aside.
13. Brush lasagna pan with 1 T olive oil. Sprinkle bottom with 1/4 cup bread crumbs.
14. Spread half penne over. Cover with meat sauce.
15. Pour 2 cups cream sauce evenly on top. Sprinkle with 1/2 grated cheese.
16. Make another layer with remainder penne.
17. Pour remainder sauce over & sprinkle with remainder of cheese.
18. Bake at 350 for 45 min until delicate brown.
19. Cut into squares and serve.
I have saved all the "report cards" over the years because the judges teach you so much and give you encouragement even if you don't win a ribbon.