Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight Watcher/Weight Loss Support September 2012

Welcome Music Mom!

Don't let yourself get discouraged...keep at it.

I think Casey is spot on...eat as naturally as you can. Often processed food has hidden pitfalls, i.e. sodium or high sugar or carbohydrate content with lower calories...I try to stick with fruit, veggies, protein and lower carbs. It does work...keep us posted! My DH used the My Fitness App and really felt it worked for him.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Welcome MusicMom. I'm sure you'll start seeing some results. We can only share what has worked for us as everyone one is different. Of course the less you have to lose, the less you will lose at first and on a weekly basis. Hang in there.

Valerie, enjoy your time away! Some of the best trips are the ones that aren't planned. Once DS2 heads off to college next fall, we will be empty-nesters. I'm really looking forward to being able to just hop into the car and drive somewhere for the fun of it.

I'm not officially on maintenance, but it doesn't matter if I lose more weight or not. However, I did lose another 1/2 lb this week, so I am just going to continue doing what I have been doing. This week I ate 42 of my weekly points, so added to my daily 26, it averages 32 a day. That is the amount that WW would allow me on maintenance anyway.

I had a Happy Dance moment this morning at the Dr.s Office (of all places)..... They weighed me (this was not regular dr. and her scales, but still) and I actually weighed 7 pounds LESS there after coffee and breakfast than I did on Monday at the fitness center. I know that the scales might be off a bit (or more),,,, but I asked if I could take theirs home with me! Small pleasures make life fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey1230 View Post
    Small pleasures make life fun!

Cafe Latte, the few people on maintenance at my meeting are eating less than 32 points a day. Two of them are just adding 1 to 2 points a day to maintain. I guess it depends on so many factors: age, fitness level, etc. As slow as I'm losing now, I doubt I add many points to maintain.

Casey I would be doing a happy dance two if I showed seven pounds less in the same week! That would have made my day!

My sister's landed in Little Rock and has rented a car heading my way. It's a three hour drive, though, and most of it is not fun -- curvy, narrow, two-lane moutainous roads. We're really isolated. And since she's from Amarillo (my DH calls her a flatlander), it's kind of nerve-racking for her. I'm leaving work in 25 minutes, running by my meeting to weigh, then heading home. I'll be back in touch on Tuesday.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I know I will!

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Quote Originally Posted by dcollier View Post
    Cafe Latte, the few people on maintenance at my meeting are eating less than 32 points a day. Two of them are just adding 1 to 2 points a day to maintain. I guess it depends on so many factors: age, fitness level, etc. As slow as I'm losing now, I doubt I add many points to maintain.
    That's interesting because I'm only going by what the online WW program automatically adds to my daily pts when I change my profile to maintenance. Like I said, I'm not officially there, but I have been eating over pts and still losing, so it seems to be working for me anyway.

Have a wonderful visit with your sister!

Denise have a great visit with your sister.

Music mom, welcome.

I do a fair amount of cardio every week. did a 6-7 hour hike yesterday. I do weight workouts too. a lot of people have more luck with weights than they do with straight cardio. I think a mixture is best. also do 2 yoga classes a week. I try for a balance of cardio, weights, flexibility.

weight workouts build muscle and firm up jiggly bits in the process. women especially are not happy with their arms and weight work can improve that area nicely. it adds variety to your workouts and makes you stronger, a lot stronger if you stick with it..
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Denise - How was your visit with your sister?
    Valerie - hopefully you are having a great time, where ever you are.

How is everyone doing this week? I guess everyone has been busy based on no posts. I've been trying to organize things around the house so I haven't been around either. There's always things to get rid of and put out for donations.

I weigh in tomorrow as usual, so I should be back then. Hope everyone is having a good week so far.

I lost .8 of a lb this last week... I'm happy with it as I'm only about 4 from my goal now. Working out with personal trainer 2 days a week and feel great! Hope everybody had a good week!

Good job Casey! You should be at your goal in no time.

I lost another 1/2 lb this week and that's fine with me. I'm not expecting too many more losses since I purposely eat more DP a day than my 26, but I am letting my body decide what it will do with them for now.

Hope to hear from some of the new people again. Where are you?

Congrats Casey! I have been busy getting things done at work...haven't done much posting. Last weekend we went out to eat for our anniversary...worst thing I did was turn off my brain and let my eyes, my mouth and my tummy rule...and rule they did. The food and wine and coffee were delicious! And I ate, and ate, and ate...I think the food was made with the real deal, lots of butter and cream and well good tasting fats! I left and felt ill afterwards...never again!!!! The food was not the culprit it was the amount and the richness of that amount that got to me. I am not used to eating so much and so high in fat content!! I was ill for the rest of the evening. Oh well, live and learn. I have to admit I loved everything I ate that night!
    I have been watching it ever since and will weigh in again on Tuesday.
    Hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the week! Can you believe that September is so close to being over? I have really enjoyed the weather over the last week and fully intend to treasure it every day until it turns to winter!!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Taking off the dating weight!

Hello everyone - I'm so delighted to see this thread! I joined WW (Again) a week ago. I have usually maintained my weight ( and lost baby weight three times) throughout my life. But injury has stopped me from running, and meeting my (brand new) hubby a few years ago led me to a lot of happy eating (Denise - your post made me giggle!).

I am 6'2, so the 25 pounds I gained is pretty well hidden. However my work pants are unforgiving and I've only been wearing skirt suits for a long time now. My body just doesn't feel like mine. I did WW almost 2 years ago, took off 12 pounds (8 found me again) and quit because my life was just too full. Now I've given up that excuse and back on the plan until I am back in my comfort zone. Then I'll be sure NOT to fall off the rails from my usual healthy eating and cooking again!

I look forward to keeping in touch with everyone here. CCongrats to everyone on their losses and achievements this month. Reading the posts really got me motivated.
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

Welcome AvrilH. Glad you decided to join us.

Hi all ! Hope your weekend was a good one. The weather was fall weather here, very nice! I have been good all week with the exception of Saturday afternoon when all bets were off! I don't think I did a lot of damage but I just couldn't stop eating things I really didn't want to eat. I ended up with a small bowl of popcorn (with butter!) at 10:30 that night. But I am back on course and will weigh in tomorrow...

Hope your last week of September is a good one filled with exercise, good healthy portioned food and of course fun!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

I weighed this morning and lost .2 of a pound... but, again, happy about a loss. I went to a good friend's 50th BD party on Saturday and, although I danced like a fool for 3 hours, I did have a bit more wine and goodies than I should. Plus I'm going down to Smith Mountain Lake this Friday to visit my best friends who live there and go to the annual Wine Festival (I see a trend here)... SO,,, i might not weigh next week at all and get back from track again. My new trainer said to expect a 3 to 4 pound GAIN from increased muscle mass... any increase I shall attribute to that

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in about 10 days, but I've been very busy. First with my sister visiting -- which was wonderful! Then deadlines at work again, computer issues, a sick husband -- my list goes on and on. But I'm back! I did hit my 65 pound mark a week ago Thursday, then stayed the same last Thursday, which I took as a win since I cooked special things for my sweet sister, things she loves and requested. I'm glad to be back to my routine, though. I know what you mean, Pam, about eating too much and too rich food. I've done that occasionally and I do not like how it makes me feel. I'm hoping for a good loss this week, which could be as little as half a pound -- but I'll take it!

Casey and Cafe Latte, congratulations to both of you! You both just keep going down. I laughed at your "trend" Casey! I can relate to it, too.

Valerie, I still don't know anyone who exercises like you do.

Welcome AvrilH! This is a great support group.

It's absolutely gorgeous here. Finally! We've had the air conditioning off for over a week, and I had to close the windows the last two nights because we got down to around 50 degrees. It's been wonderful to say the least. We even have trees with leaves starting to turn. My DH spent part of the weekend splitting wood, which makes me very happy. We have about two cords already, but the Old Farmers' Almanac is predicting a very cold and very wet winter, so he's determined to have four cords split and stacked within the next few weeks. Besides heating our house with wood, he heats his cabinet shop with wood too.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Denise

Good start.......

Even though I still haven't worked exercise back into my life, I shed 2.8 pounds in my first 10 days. I was very happy - that weight came off with some real discipline!!

THis Friday I am doing a trial run with a masters swim club. If it is a good fit for me, I am going to really try to fit their twice weekly train into my (who am I kidding? My KIDS' schedule!) schedule. 4km a week in the pool will be a great start.

Today I must maintain my resolve and NOT have any pizza with the family. Pizza Monday is going to be a tough night for a while.......
    Avril

Casey, Denise, Avril - good job on the loses!

Avril - I eat pizza from time to time, but I only have one slice and a salad to go along with it. I'm sure you can have the odd slice to enjoy. If you are doing WW, as long as you track, you should be fine.

Avril, I have pizza occasionally too. In fact, my DH made homemade pizza the first night my sister was here. Like Cafe Latte, I start wilh a big salad and track everything and usually stick to just one piece which is enough following a big salad. It's really possible to enjoy pizza on WW!

Denise

Casey, Denise, Avril congratulations on the losses! Denise I am glad your sister's visit went well. I wish one of my sister's would come visit me...but to see them I have to be the one to travel...I weighed in today and was down 1.8 pounds. I too eat pizza, but usually thin crust and then only one piece and have raw veggies or salad to go with it.

Well on to another week of challenges...have a good one all.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

Wow Pam . . . that's a great loss!

Denise

Pam - congrats! I hope your successes carry over to another week (for everyone else too!).

I was down another .5 lbs today. I guess what I am doing is giving me steady results so I will keep up with it. I seem to average 30 pts a day so that is what I aim for these days. Today I am going out for Thai with a friend so I will be indulging a bit more than usual, but that will mean a lighter dinner too. It's all about choices isn't it?

I'll have to use that strategy for pizza nights, too. I usually make my own thinking that whole wheat crust and part skim mozzarella are better than the restaurant recipe.

I have been losing about .5 lb per week. My plan is to eat mostly vegetables. Occasionally we have chicken or use ground turkey instead of beef and I've gone without sweets for 3 months. Amazing for this chocoholic. I'm starting to hear the call for fresh, homemade apple pie, though.

Exercise-wise, I go to the gym 5 days a week and do 30-40minutes cardio and some weight training. I like the torso rotation machine- hoping it helps get rid of that overflow over my waistband . On nice days, I go for a brisk walk on my lunch break if I'm not able to get to the gym. I think it's working- my pants seem a little looser and I had to go in one more notch on the belt buckle. I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy new pants until I reach my goal.

Have a nice weekend everyone!
    Positive emotion trumps negative emotion every time. - Inception

I lost .8 last night, and I'll take it! We had a big crowd again, the biggest since May or June. And Weight Watchers is having an eight week challenge -- a countdown to Thanksgiving (which is exactly 8 weeks from yesterday). Our leader asked us to set a goal. Last week, I set a personal goal of losing 10 more pounds by New Year's Day, but I'm just not losing that fast anymore. I'm sure it's because I've lost so much and have so much less to lose now. I would LOVE to hit that goal, but I'm averaging .5 pounds a week now, which would be 6-1/2 pounds in addition to dealing with Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I'm just going to keep trucking along and not worry about meeting a specific goal at a specific time.

We keep cooling down here! I'm thrilled with the weather! And we had 3 badly needed inches of rain last night.

I'm leaving work at 11:30 a.m. today to grocery shop and do a little cleaning around my house. We're having friends for dinner tonight (we rotate at each other's houses about every six weeks or so), and then we're leaving for Texarkana tomorrow morning to spend the rest of the weekend with my good friend who's lost so much weight on WW and is responsible for me joining. We also rotate visiting each other about every six weeks or so.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Denise

Thanks for the pizza advice! I took it, enjoyed my single piece as well as my salad. DH's favorite pizza joint from home (which is 4000 km away) has come to our neighbourhood, and they have a great deal on Monday nights. I have agreed to his request for MOnday pizza (which makes the boys happy too) - as long as the rest of the week is moderate. I lost this week again, so I seem to be ok!

I was at a conference for three days this week. I didn't track my points, as I'm sure I'd have died to see what a single croissant would be....

I know what my long term goal is - now I should look forward to the holidays and make some reasonable goals to get me through them. I really like that idea!
    Avril

Quote Originally Posted by AvrilH View Post
    I was at a conference for three days this week. I didn't track my points, as I'm sure I'd have died to see what a single croissant would be....
    Some foods can be shockers. I'm not sure how many points one would be, but I was thinking how I haven't had a Cinnamon crunch bagel from Panera in ages and maybe I'd have one as a treat this week. Well, it's 11 points. I can pass thank you. It's not in front of me, so I can avoid it very easily. I'd rather eat a burger then - it would be more filling at least.

Nice losses, MusicMom and Denise! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

hello guys,

this week have been a hell of a week for me. did some aerobics everyday and engaged in cardio too. lost few pounds. so happy about it

Quote Originally Posted by AvrilH View Post
    Even though I still haven't worked exercise back into my life, I shed 2.8 pounds in my first 10 days. I was very happy - that weight came off with some real discipline!!

THis Friday I am doing a trial run with a masters swim club. If it is a good fit for me, I am going to really try to fit their twice weekly train into my (who am I kidding? My KIDS' schedule!) schedule. 4km a week in the pool will be a great start.

Today I must maintain my resolve and NOT have any pizza with the family. Pizza Monday is going to be a tough night for a while.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post
    Casey, Denise, Avril - good job on the loses!

Avril - I eat pizza from time to time, but I only have one slice and a salad to go along with it. I'm sure you can have the odd slice to enjoy. If you are doing WW, as long as you track, you should be fine.
    Avril, I have pizza occasionally too. In fact, my DH made homemade pizza the first night my sister was here. Like Cafe Latte, I start wilh a big salad and track everything and usually stick to just one piece which is enough following a big salad. It's really possible to enjoy pizza on WW!

Denise
    Hi, gals -- I'm still a lurker here, not having great ambition to lose, though I know I "should."

Regarding the pizza -- I have a recipe for the dough and the sauce which, with the toppings I use comes out to about 8 points for 1/4 of a 15" pizza -- both are homemade, so I'm glad to share, if you like!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Kay, I would LOVE to have your pizza recipe.

Denise

Kay, I would LOVE to have your pizza recipe.

Denise
    Me too, but can you post it on the Oct thread? I think more people will check there too. Thanks.