Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Game of the Week #61 09/12/12

Cooking Game of the Week #61 09/12/12

Good Morning Everyone!!!!!!!

This weeks game is D and/or E

Anything related to food/cooking that starts with D or E

As usual, the recipe has to be new to you!

Happy Cooking!!!!

Hi!!!!

Next weeks game will be our "Every Fifth Game". So today I am asking you all for a list of "Herbs and Spices" that have been hanging out in your pantry that you don't use very much but would really like to. As few or as many as you like. Next week I will pick one for you to use.

I was just about to ask if we were going to be doing the 'every 5th' again so that question has been answered.

I'll be back tomorrow morning with a list of spices/herbs for that one!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Well, I wasn't expecting an "E" along with the "D," but it looks as if I got both in the "D" recipe I'd picked for tonight. This is from The Daily Bean, and it was surprisingly good and incredibly simple -- although I had to increase the cooking time. It also includes Eggplant. I had it with brown rice and a tossed salad, and I think I have a new go-to recipe any time I have part of an eggplant to use up.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Vegetable and White Bean Roast
    Servings: 4.

1 med eggplant, cubed
    1 yellow pepper, diced
    1 med red onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 large zucchini, cubed
    2 cups cooked cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
    1 Tbsp minced garlic
    fresh ground black pepper to taste
    3 Tbsp light soy sauce
    1 Tbsp sesame seeds
    3 Tbsp olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place vegetables and beans in a roasting pan. Add the garlic, black pepper, soy sauce, sesame seeds, and olive oil and stir to coat thoroughly.

2. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.

Author: Suzanne Cacciola White
    Source: The Daily Bean

Hi Phoebe, it does sound really good and this from someone that is not too fond of eggplant. So glad it turned out good for you.

Are you going to submit a list from your pantry?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place vegetables and beans in a roasting pan. Add the garlic, black pepper, soy sauce, sesame seeds, and olive oil and stir to coat thoroughly.

2. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.

Author: Suzanne Cacciola White
    Source: The Daily Bean
    I'm kind of curious, I've never roasted beans before with other food. Did the beans get crunchy or did they stay soft because mixed in with other veggies? Interesting recipe.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by jadenegro View Post
    I'm kind of curious, I've never roasted beans before with other food. Did the beans get crunchy or did they stay soft because mixed in with other veggies? Interesting recipe.
    They stayed soft, because of the oil and soy sauce, the moisture from the veggies, and the steam captured under the foil. If they'd been uncovered during the baking, I suppose they probably would have gotten dried out. Come to think of it, this isn't really a "roast" (i.e., dry heat), is it? More like a baked pot roast, huh?
    Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Are you going to submit a list from your pantry?
    Well, I've pawed through my whole collection, and the only thing I haven't used in a long time is the Chinese Five Spice Powder.

Gee, maybe I should have tried for it during "C" week. Or held back on it for "F" week. Oh, well.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I have a couple of things to get used up, so choose away Ms. Cookieee!!

- Chile powder
    - Ground coriander
    - Penzey's Arizona Dreaming
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!

Well, I've pawed through my whole collection, and the only thing I haven't used in a long time is the Chinese Five Spice Powder.

Gee, maybe I should have tried for it during "C" week. Or held back on it for "F" week. Oh, well.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Hi Phoebe, let me know what you would like to do. "F" week might not have too many choices. I haven't really investigated it yet. I loved "C" week. So many more choices that I didn't get to. I think there are more "C" H & S than any other letter. But I haven't really counted.

Well, what a mess. I was looking forward to using "Epazote" for my E this week. #1. I only have 2 recipes calling for it. Both are for fresh AND I only have dried. #2. My jar of dried is 11 years old I have a lot of recipes calling for Dill, but we are not too fond of it. Well, off to check out what else I can use

Hope you all are having better luck.

Diner Meat Loaf 'Muffins'

Serve these delicious meatloaf muffins with steamed green beans and roasted potato wedges for an at-home version of a blue-plate special.

Cooking Light MARCH 2006

• Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 "muffins")

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon olive oil
    • 1 cup finely chopped onion
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 cup ketchup, divided
    • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)

• 1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20)
    • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 large eggs
    • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.
    Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.
    Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes.

I'm making these for dinner.

Hi Phoebe, let me know what you would like to do. "F" week might not have too many choices. I haven't really investigated it yet. I loved "C" week. So many more choices that I didn't get to. I think there are more "C" H & S than any other letter. But I haven't really counted.
    Doesn't matter to me, really! I trust your judgment completely. (Where's the smiley for a tugging of the forelock?)

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by notmetoday View Post
    Diner Meat Loaf 'Muffins'

Serve these delicious meatloaf muffins with steamed green beans and roasted potato wedges for an at-home version of a blue-plate special.

Cooking Light MARCH 2006

• Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 "muffins")

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon olive oil
    • 1 cup finely chopped onion
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 cup ketchup, divided
    • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)

• 1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20)
    • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 large eggs
    • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.
    Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.
    Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes.

I'm making these for dinner.
    Hi, help, I can't find the D or E:rolleyes Oh, you mean E for eggs?

Doesn't matter to me, really! I trust your judgment completely. (Where's the smiley for a tugging of the forelock?)

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Thanks Phoebe, well, in that case, how about using it for the next game. I really like Chinese Five Spice and I am sure you will find something really delicious to make.

I used up some Dates by making this granola. It has an excellent flavor and was super crunchy after cooling. However, since I packaged it up, it has softened - so I guess I better figure out a different way to store it.

FWIW, my brother had NO idea that there was no oats in this!!

Oh, and by the way, I didn't write the instructions - they're right from the blog. She has a sarcastic way of writing which doesn't bother me but I don't want anyone else to be offended!!

Pumpkin Granola
    from PaleOMG

◦1/2 cup sliced almonds
    ◦1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
    ◦1/2 cup pecans, chopped
    ◦8-10 dried dates, pits removed, then chopped
    ◦1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    ◦1/3 cup coconut oil
    ◦1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    ◦1/3 cup maple syrup
    ◦1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ◦2 tablespoons cinnamon
    ◦1 tablespoon nutmeg
    ◦1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    ◦1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
    ◦pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    2. In a large mixing bowl, add your pumpkin puree, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and all spices. Mix well.
    3. Then add your nuts, seeds, and dates and mix well with your wet ingredients.
    4. Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet and pour your granola mixture on top. Use a spoon to spread out the mixture evenly so everything will cook at the same time.
    5. Place in oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, moving the granola around half way through to be sure it doesn’t burn.
    6. LET COOL. Letting the granola cool will help it harden up, and that’s what you want from granola. Duh.
    7. Eat all by itself or top it off with coconut milk, almond milk, or even dairy milk (if you do that).

Wow!!!!! That sounds soooo good. Looks like it also will be good for next weeks game with all those spices. Thanks Reb.

I just realized I have another spice that I haven't used in a long time -- Szechuan Peppercorns. Wow, I used to use them all the time. I wonder what happened. Oops, I know: I stopped eating a lot of meat, and they're too strong for tofu or beans.

Don't you love when someone asks a question and then immediately answers it? Some people refer to this as "babbling." Oh, well.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Cookieee, I am guessing D for Diner Meat Loaf Muffins.

My recipe this week is E for eggs and with 11, I think it is a good entry! I got it from Laura/ljt2r on this BB (notes are hers). I have a meeting tonight and I like to have a gluten-free option, especially since I know a gluten-free person is coming. Although maybe now he is doing the Paleo diet and this won't count anyway I'll be back with a review later!

Italian Chocolate Cake with Polenta
    Closely adapted from Butter Sugar Flour Eggs: Whimsical Irresistible Desserts by Gale Gand

16 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used a chocolate in the 60% range)
    8 oz (2 sticks) butter
    11 eggs, separated
    pinch of cream of tartar
    3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
    2 T liquor of choice (suggestions: Cognac, brandy, Grand Marnier, Amaretto, Sambuca)
    1/2 cup polenta (cornmeal is ok to sub)
    Confectioners’ sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 300 F. Grease a 9X13 cake pan and then line it with parchment paper. Set aside.

Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave, at 50% power in 30 second intervals. Stir well and then set aside to let cool a bit.

Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Make sure that your bowl and beaters are clean and dry. Begin whipping the egg whites–when they are foamy, add a pinch of the cream of tartar. Continue whipping, and when soft peaks have formed, sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar over the egg whites. Continue whipping until stiff peaks have formed–be careful not to overwhip and dry the egg whites out. Shake the beaters off.

Place the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar into another large bowl. Whip (you can use the same beater as long as you do the egg whites first) the egg yolks and sugar until they are very pale yellow and ribbons form when the beater is dragged across the surface of the mixture.

Fold the melted chocolate mixture into the egg yolks. When it is almost blended, add the egg whites and fold them in until almost blended. Then sprinkle the liquor and polenta (or cornmeal) on top of the mixture and fold it in. Be careful not to deflate the egg whites, but do fold the mixture until completely blended now. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Spread the top even with a rubber spatula.

Place the cake into the oven. Bake until the center is firm and a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out either clean or with just a few crumbs attached, 60-75 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan before slicing. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.

Duh I must have read that recipe 3 times. Thanks Erin and thank you for the cake. Wow, 11 eggs.

All right. Here we go. I used some dried fruit in this. May have been a tad too sweet for DW, but had good flavor.

Hammster's Zinfandel Beef Over Couscous.

8 oz ground beef.
    1/2 cup diced red onion.
    Dried cherries, dried cranberries, crystallized ginger to add up to about a cup.
    1/4 cup diced bell pepper.
    1 tsp minced garlic.
    4 sprigs fresh thyme.
    1/2 cup zinfandel.
    1/2 cup beef broth.
    Head of cauliflower, cut into florets.
    1 tsp sumac.
    s/p to taste.

1/2 cup couscous.
    1 cup water.

Toasted almonds.

In a skillet, heat some XVOO until hot. Add the ground beef and saute til brown. Add the red onion and saute another minute. Add the bell pepper, garlic, and dried fruits and saute another minute. Add the wine and beef broth and the fresh thyme. Stir it all together. Cover and cook about 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower and sumac and put the lid back on and steam it for another 5 minutes or so until the cauliflower is to your desired doneness.

Meanwhile bring the water to a boil, add the couscous. Clamp on the lid, turn off the heat, and let the pot sit for 5 minutes until all water is absorbed.

Serve couscous, beef mixture and sprinkle with toasted almonds.

Hi Ham, looks like you keep better records when winging it than I do. I winged some Sloppy Joe's the other night. They turned out delicious, but nothing written down

D is for dill pickles Eating some now...but I didn't make them so I'll look for an actual recipe for E.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

My Italian Chocolate Cake with Polenta was well received. Interesting texture--more like a soft meringue than a cake. I am going to keep this recipe around because it is such a good gluten-free option using normal ingredients, but I would add some almond extract next time and some salt and change the chocolate a bit (maybe a mix of bittersweet and semisweet?).

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    My Italian Chocolate Cake with Polenta was well received. Interesting texture--more like a soft meringue than a cake. I am going to keep this recipe around because it is such a good gluten-free option using normal ingredients, but I would add some almond extract next time and some salt and change the chocolate a bit (maybe a mix of bittersweet and semisweet?).
    Hi Erin, they sound like good subs. Especially the Almond Extract. Love the Almond flavor.

<sigh> My recipe isn't on the menu until Thursday -- better late than never, I guess. Sorry! Actually 2 recipes from the Dinner Doctor cookbook -- Chicken Piccata (I think) and dun muffins.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Hi Kay, that's ok. I really didn't expect to hear from you for quite a while. Congrats on your DD getting married.

Just what the heck are dun muffins?

Hi Kay, that's ok. I really didn't expect to hear from you for quite a while. Congrats on your DD getting married.

Just what the heck are dun muffins?
    They're some kind of muffin made with Bisquick... I don't know why they're called that, but it sounded ok -- we like a bread thing with our dinner.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thanks Kay. I'm back to using DH's lap top again

E is for enchiladas...but I didn't want to attempt the real deal on a weeknight so I found a recipe for enchilada casserole. So went to the store and couldn't find what I assume to be a key ingredient - dry enchilada mix. I have no idea what that is. I assumed it would be like the taco packets you add to ground beef but didn't see anything for enchiladas. So i did end up subbing - a can of enchilada sauce and some extra ancho chile powder and ground cumin. No idea what actually goes in a dry enchilada sauce so....just guessing there. I think this recipe could really be used as a base and you could throw in whatever you like and add some extras. We liked it enough to experiment with it next time.

Enchilada Casserole III

Submitted By: Kathy
    Photo By: Dmseck
    Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 35 Minutes
    Ready In: 1 Hour
    Servings: 8
    "This is a layered casserole with ground beef, corn tortillas, enchilada sauce and refried beans baked with a mixture of Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses. Serve with sour cream or any desired toppings."

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (1.5 ounce) package dry enchilada
    sauce mix
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    3/4 cup water
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
    1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2. In a medium bowl, mix the dry enchilada sauce according to package directions, replacing tomato sauce with the tomato paste and water
    3. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with garlic salt and onion powder; drain fat. Mix refried beans and 1/2 cup of the prepared enchilada sauce with the meat.
    4. Dip enough corn tortillas to cover the bottom of a 3 quart casserole dish in the remaining enchilada sauce. Arrange tortillas in the dish. Spoon in half of the meat mixture, covering the tortillas. Spread half of the Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses over the meat. Cover with another layer tortillas dipped in enchilada sauce. Spoon in remaining meat mixture and top with a final layer of tortillas dipped in enchilada sauce. Pour any remaining sauce over the layers and top with remaining cheese.
    5. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 9/16/2012