Community Message Boards
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fall 2012 Cookbook releases

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    Just got this one too from GC, you're gonna love it!

~Gail
    Hi Gail, now that you have had a little more time to check it out, what do you think? (My Key West Kitchen-Norman Van Aiken) I just checked it out on Amazon. They have it for $15.00. Is that a good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi Gail, now that you have had a little more time to check it out, what do you think? (My Key West Kitchen-Norman Van Aiken) I just checked it out on Amazon. They have it for $15.00. Is that a good deal?
    Are you kidding...I have a pile of new ones just sitting around...have had no time...just moved my Mom to another facility and her paperwork has been taking up my extra time...as far as the $15. I think you can get it cheaper on half.com, plus GC has there $10. bundle deal going on right now.

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    Are you kidding...I have a pile of new ones just sitting around...have had no time...just moved my Mom to another facility and her paperwork has been taking up my extra time...as far as the $15. I think you can get it cheaper on half.com, plus GC has there $10. bundle deal going on right now.

~Gail
    OK Thanks

Gail, I just came to see if anyone else had gotten it or posted about the $10 bundle deal. I think I satisfied my need for now. I suspect they will have another offer before Christmas, but this one (ends tonight) makes getting them in time to wrap and give as gifts less stressful. Just in case anyone is shopping this weekend......

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Gail, I just came to see if anyone else had gotten it or posted about the $10 bundle deal. I think I satisfied my need for now. I suspect they will have another offer before Christmas, but this one (ends tonight) makes getting them in time to wrap and give as gifts less stressful. Just in case anyone is shopping this weekend......
    Hahaha -- giving them as gifts never even occurred to me! I want them all for ME!!! I had the bundle deal as well, so got 4 for $40. I'm sure I could find another 4 without trying too hard, but I will be good

I'm curious to see the new Rachael Ray book when it comes out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the new CL book " The New Way to Cook Light"? I was looking at it in the bookstore last night and was quite tempted.

I find most new cookbooks today call for so many expenisve , difficult to find, or just plain weird ingredients. I am quite happy to get them from the library for a quick peruse.

I guess I am the only one not very impressed with the new BC book. To me her recipes are ones you can find just about anywhere. I kinda feel it is her name and the packaging that makes her books popular. Don't shoot me!

Can't believe all the vegan, raw, paleo books on the shelves! What has happened to just good old common sense and a well rounded diet?
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Kima, I bought the new CL book to look through at home (impossible to peruse with a 3 year old), and then returned it because I recognized so many of the recipes -- and have them in other CL books. I did appreciate that this new book has so many photos, but I don't have a lot of space so a book with lots of repeats is tough for me to justify. (I've been pondering the new CI Quick Family Cookbook, but am worried about too many repeats in that one too.)

You're right -- there are so many Paleo books now. My Costco has 3 or 4 Paleo titles for sale.

I

Thanks for your thoughts on the CL book alleycat. I think you may well be right about the CL book. I will give it another look.

It just seems like so many people are follwing very specific diets these days. Everyone is "on" something.

I was a vegetarian for about 12 years so I certainly respect people's dietary choices but it just seems to get kinda crazy. I am an everything in moderation type of gal...if I said I was following a particular diet I would probably start craving whatever it disallowed!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

I have been a bit out of control the past few weeks. I have added to my collection:

Barefoot Contessa Foolproof, Ina Garten

The Daily Cookie, Anna Ginsberg (of this BB!)

Simply Sensational Cookies, Nancy Baggett

Chloe's Kitchen:125 Easy Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way, Chloe Coscarelli (a cupcake wars winner with her vegan cupcakes)

Veggie Burgers Every Which Way, Lucas Volger

The Supermarket Vegan, Donna Klein

Simply Satisfying:Over 200 Vegetarian Recipes You'll Want to Make Again and Again, Jeanne Lemlin (probably my favorite vegetarian cookbook author- this is an update and revision of her first book over 20 years ago)

One Dish at a Time, Valerie Bertinelli (a beautiful book but probably a mistake as too many meat recipes for me)
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Did anyone buy the new Smitten Kitchen cookbook? I know the blog is popular on the boards (I don't read blogs -- no time!), so wondering if the book lives up to the blog's hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    Did anyone buy the new Smitten Kitchen cookbook? I know the blog is popular on the boards (I don't read blogs -- no time!), so wondering if the book lives up to the blog's hype.
    I haven't gotten the book yet, but I've made a couple recipes so far that have lived up to the hype!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Lori Burke's Christmas Cookbook is Available

Great thread. Some of my favorites are listed. For desserts I really enjoy the Lori Burke cookbooks. She focuses on desserts only. Her latest is Best Ever Christmas Dessert Recipes. The ebook is at http://www.amazon.com/Best-Christmas-Dessert-Recipes The paperback version is at http://www.amazon.com/Best-Ever-Chri...dp/1481019392/ Her Dump Cake cookbook is also pretty good but if you don't like cake mixes I would skip it. The Poke Cake Cookbook is really a lot of fun especially if you want to bake fun cakes with your kids

Sandy

Here's the cover of the Christmas book:

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    I just looked through this cookbook at B&N today, and I.must.have.this.book. The photography is mouthwatering (I'm one of those people who likes photos in their cookbooks), and I wanted to make every recipe I saw. It's going to the top of my Christmas list for sure.

You all have been a bad influence on me, and I re-signed up for the Good Cook last week. I got:

Gran Cucina Latina
    Jamie Oliver's Great Britain
    The Seasonal Baker
    The Homesick Texan Cookbook

And the two bonus books:

Real Simple Easy, Delicious Home Cooking
    Moufflet

I haven't bought any cookbooks in a while, so I'm looking forward to some quality time with these!
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson