Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about rum in a recipe

Question about rum in a recipe

I am not a hard alcohol drinker and don't know the taste difference between dark, spiced, amber, regular, etc. I am considering making the recipe below. I only have plain, regular rum. Would using that make a dramatic difference?

Carmelized Banana Bread w/ Browned Butter

Ingredients

4 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
    3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
    3 medium ripe bananas, sliced
    1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    2 tablespoons amber or gold rum
    2 large eggs
    9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    2 teaspoons half-and-half

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and bananas; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Place banana mixture in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.

3. Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients (through eggs). Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Scrape batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan, and cool on wire rack.

4. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 3 minutes or until butter begins to brown; remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and half-and-half, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over bread. Let stand until glaze sets.

Julianna Grimes, Cooking Light
    OCTOBER 2012

No difference - Use what you have.

This is not a particularly rum-centric recipe to begin with so there will be no difference in outcome.

And I am someone who is generally a stickler about recipes for baked goods.

I think the amber rum in the recipe would give the cake a bit of a deeper flavor. I'd go ahead and use the regular-I assume silver-rum. I think the difference in taste would be similar to using light brown sugar in place of dark brown sugar....and 2 TBSP is not going to make much of a difference in taste.

Okay. Thanks, amarante and cakebaker. I kind of figured as much, but thought I'd ask since I honestly have no idea what the taste of a spiced or amber is compared to regular. I have Bacardi Superior Original Premium Rum. I presume that's silver.

there's not enough rum in the recipe to even matter, really-- you coud leave it out or sub, with that amount.

I made it. It is good, but I think if I make it again, I'll sub vanilla at least for half of it. I can taste the rum somewhat. The bread has a slightly bitter taste. I know it isn't a lot of rum, but I think 2 tablespoons is a bit for this type of recipe. Most banana bread recipes I've made call for only 1 teaspoon of vanilla. This calls for 6 times that amount, except it's rum.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    I am not a hard alcohol drinker and don't know the taste difference between dark, spiced, amber, regular, etc. I am considering making the recipe below. I only have plain, regular rum. Would using that make a dramatic difference?

Ingredients

4 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
    3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
    3 medium ripe bananas, sliced
    1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    2 tablespoons amber or gold rum
    2 large eggs
    9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    2 teaspoons half-and-half
    Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    No difference - Use what you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    there's not enough rum in the recipe to even matter, really-- you coud leave it out or sub, with that amount.
    This is one of my pet peeves with recipes-a minute ingredient that doesn't affect the outcome of the finished product. I sometimes think that people do this to make the recipe look more sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    This is one of my pet peeves with recipes-a minute ingredient that doesn't affect the outcome of the finished product. I sometimes think that people do this to make the recipe look more sophisticated.
    I know what you mean-- you expect this great flavor, and the recipe doesn't deliver. like a cake that uses tea, and still tastes just vanilla!

with this recipe, i'd probably glaze it with a rum-flavored glaze to bring it out-- but i like rum-flavored baked goods.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    I made it. It is good, but I think if I make it again, I'll sub vanilla at least for half of it. I can taste the rum somewhat. The bread has a slightly bitter taste. I know it isn't a lot of rum, but I think 2 tablespoons is a bit for this type of recipe. Most banana bread recipes I've made call for only 1 teaspoon of vanilla. This calls for 6 times that amount, except it's rum.
    I'm honestly surprised though-- booze isn't as concentrated in flavor as extracts, so it usually takes a lot to make a difference.

i may have to try this! DH just got some Kraken Spiced rum for his b-day.