Community Message Boards
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What are you having for Thanksgiving this year?

Welcome Nubchai and Kathy G!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy_G View Post
    From the time I was little, we have always had pierogies for thanksgiving (in addition to turkey, of course!). So this year my sister and I will make them the day before, so they will be all ready to go Thursday. It is a great tradition.
    -Kathy
    I discovered to love pierogies when I moved to Upstate NY. I call yours a fusion Thanksgiving.

pickled shrimp,
    Cranberry pineapple salsa (all done)
    Patt
    Hi Patt-

Any chance you could post the above recipes? They sound great! Thanks! Actually-i think your whole menu sounds amazing especially the turkey...we have a smoked turkey "hater" in my family though:=(

Sheila in MD

Great side dish

I am responsible for bringing a vegetable side dish. I feel like most of my recipes are good but just sort of ordinary. Does anyone have an outstanding recipe to recommend? I can do the cooking there since it is my mother that will be hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by alissa.z View Post
    I am responsible for bringing a vegetable side dish. I feel like most of my recipes are good but just sort of ordinary. Does anyone have an outstanding recipe to recommend? I can do the cooking there since it is my mother that will be hosting.
    I find most people want the ordinary. I do that as hostess but when I am bring a side dish I like a little twist. How about this

Scalloped Potatoes and Butternut Squash
    2 pounds butternut squash
    Onion salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    3 large Yukon gold potatoes
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
    About 2 cups heavy cream
    1 tsp chopped fresh marjoram
    4 ounces Gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
    1 tsp chopped fresh sage
    buttered Ritz cracker crumbs

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
    2. Generously butter a 9-by-12-inch gratin dish.
    3. Peel the squash and trim the top and bottom. Slice into 1/8-inch-thick
    4. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
    5. In a small bowl, combine the thyme, marjoram, and sage.
    6. Layer about 1/3 of the squash slices in the gratin dish.
    7. Sprinkle with some of the herbs and season with salt and pepper.
    8. Layer 1/2 the potato slices over the squash layer.
    9. Sprinkle with some of the herbs and 1/2 of the minced garlic,onion salt and pepper.
    10. Spread another third of the squash slices on the potatoes. Sprinkle with some of the herbs and season with salt and pepper.
    11. Spread the remaining potatoes and ham in another layer over the squash and sprinkle some of the herbs and the rest of the garlic.
    12. While firmly pressing down on the squash and potatoes with a large spoon, spatula, or your fingers, slowly pour the cream over the top and down the sides of the dish.
    13. Add enough to just barely cover the vegetables when pressed.
    14. Cover the dish with foil and bake the gratin for 45 to 50 minutes.
    15. Remove the foil and sprinkle with the Gruyère and cracker crumbs.
    16. Continue to bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, the cream is nearly absorbed, and the top of the gratin is lightly browned.
    NYS State Fair 2nd place 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    Do you have a recipe for the Broccoli salad with grapes? I'm starting to think I need another green on the table, and this sounds like something even the kids might eat.
    Here's a recipe from my best friend. She and I have served it at uncountable church potlucks and family reunions without complaints or leftovers. Needless to say, it makes a lot.

1 large head broccoli, cut into small florets
    1/2 lb. bacon, fried crisp, drained and crumbled (I cut back to 1/3 lb.)
    1 cup raisins
    1-1/2 cups seedless red grapes, cut in half
    1-1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
    1/3 cup finely minced red onion (you can omit for those who HATE onions but I like)

Dressing

1 cup mayo (I use reduced fat)
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 tbs. vinegar

Mix dressing in a small bowl. Combine all vegetables and fruits; toss with dressing. Chill thoroughly.

Cook's note: Veggies/fruit can be prepped day before and stored in individual baggies. Bacon can be prepped day before and stored. I usually toss together early a.m. and let chill all day. Diced apple can sub for grapes. Dried cranberries can sub for raisins. Leftovers are great in a wrap with thinly sliced turkey breast.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Welcome Nubchai and Kathy G!
    Thank you vbak

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    I find most people want the ordinary. I do that as hostess but when I am bring a side dish I like a little twist. How about this

Scalloped Potatoes and Butternut Squash
    Thank you, margeslp! That sounds like it would be a hit!

I have a question about my turkey recipe

I am using World Markets Brine seasoning
    and a recipe that calls for basting with a brown sugar glaze and stuffed with onion, carrots and an orange.

Is this this too much since I am brining the turkey?

and
    green bean casserole
    sausage apple and cranberry stuffing (new recipe)
    mashed potatoes
    yams (guest bringing)
    waldorf salad (mom bringing)

Dessert
    pumpkin pie (mom bringing)
    apple pie (DD bringing)

and since I dont care for apple pie and pumpkin pie I am making

EW's Pumpkin Chocolate Torte with Pumpkin Whipped cream.

Laurie

i added a new dish this year and baked it off tonight...OMG...it's so good...it's from Trisha Yearwood, believe it or not, every one of her dishes i've made has been amazing...i'd recommend this one 100%...

Sweet potato Souffle

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•.

Living Life....One Bite at a Time

www.MmGood.com

It's gonna be turkey, stuffing, vegetables, mashed potatoes and Perrier!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila in MD View Post
    Hi Patt-

Any chance you could post the above recipes? They sound great! Thanks! Actually-i think your whole menu sounds amazing especially the turkey...we have a smoked turkey "hater" in my family though:=(

Sheila in MD
    Sheila, sorry I missed this earlier.

Pickled Shrimp
    1 1/2 cups distilled vinegar
    2 onions, sliced
    10 whole cloves
    3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    4 teaspoons salt
    1 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
    1 1/2 pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined
    1 medium avocados, cubed
    3 Tablespoons cilantro, minced

Put vinegar and next 6 items (before shrimp) into a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer for ten minutes. Add shrimp, stir and simmer for two minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a glass container to cool. Chill until serving.
    If serving as a cocktail, place 4- 6 shrimp in a martini glass. Top with a few cubes of avocado and sprinkle with cilantro. Mine never get that fancy. I put them out as appetizers on a cold plate with toothpicks or small forks and people help themselves if DH leaves any for others. If there are leftovers, they keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Here's the link for the salsa.

Have a lovely dinner.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Salsa-350579
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post
    I have a question about my turkey recipe

I am using World Markets Brine seasoning
    and a recipe that calls for basting with a brown sugar glaze and stuffed with onion, carrots and an orange.

Is this this too much since I am brining the turkey?

and
    green bean casserole
    sausage apple and cranberry stuffing (new recipe)
    mashed potatoes
    yams (guest bringing)
    waldorf salad (mom bringing)

Dessert
    pumpkin pie (mom bringing)
    apple pie (DD bringing)

and since I dont care for apple pie and pumpkin pie I am making

EW's Pumpkin Chocolate Torte with Pumpkin Whipped cream.

Laurie
    I think you need to be careful about stuffing with a brined bird. But it looks like you're just putting a few aromatics into the cavity, as long as they are loose and have room to move around, you should be fine. The brown sugar glaze sounds lovely. My brined bird has an apple cider/butter glaze, and it gets a lovely sweetness from the cider.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Mrswaz, why not stuff a brined turkey? I have always stuffed the kosher turkeys I got, and they're brined. I was not planning to stuff the regular turkey I'm brining this year, though; I planned to cook the stuffing separately, just for safety concerns.

ETA - That pickled shrimp recipe looks fantastic! I'm going to try it, although not for today.
    I think the problem with stuffing the brined bird is that it can make the stuffing excessively salty. I don't really know, as I never stuff my turkeys, but I recall reading years ago that it's probably best to not stuff a brined bird.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy_G View Post
    From the time I was little, we have always had pierogies for thanksgiving (in addition to turkey, of course!). So this year my sister and I will make them the day before, so they will be all ready to go Thursday. It is a great tradition.
    -Kathy
    Oh, I so miss pierogies at Grandma's! And kapusta soup and kielbasa!

(if you have a recipe for potato and farmer/pot cheese pierogi I'd love to have it! Those were always my favorite.)

We are fairly traditional, and it's just DH, me, and his mother. We started the morning with cinnamon rolls using the Healthy Bread in 5 pumpkin pie brioche dough and shaped/filled/topped using Alton Brown's overnight cinnamon roll recipe.

For dinner we're doing

Turkey a la Mad Max (on the BGE)

CL's truffled gravy

WS sausage, cornbread, and chestnut dressing (using Jewish rye for the country-style white bread)

Mashed potatoes and turnip

Haricots verts sauteed with garlic

Sweet potato gnocchi with sage brown butter

OS canned, jellied cranberry sauce

Maple bourbon sweet potato pie, with Cool Whip

Michelle