Community Message Boards

Thread: Please help with REAL food alternative RECIPE for Velveeta!

Question Please help with REAL food alternative RECIPE for Velveeta!

I'd like to make my mom's 'hanky pankies' today, which call for beef (I'm subbing turkey) and pork sausage (I'm subbing turkey sausage) and velveeta with some spices.

The recipe calls for 1 lb of velveeta. Does anyone have an exact recipe (not fake velveeta recipe with gelatin and powdered milk), something like x amount of milk and cream cheese and cheddar? I searched on line and I'm not really coming up with anything.

Or if there is a cheese sauce you'd recommend to be a good substitue for 1 lb of velveeta, again, please post exact recipe = how much butter, flour, milk and cheese.

Thank you in advance! I thought I had something as an alternative but can't find it.

Jeanne

I don't know about quantities, but I'd make a small batch of white sauce (roux & then milk, cooked until thickened), then add some shredded colby or cheddar & then some cream cheese. I do that for my mac & cheese. I find the cheese melts smoother if I toss the shreds in a tiny amount of flour before adding it--thickens a bit more, too. Then add to the other ingredients until it looks right. Good luck!
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Can you please post the recipe as you make it for your mac and cheese and I can adapt quantities? Thank you!

Could you post the recipe for'hanky pankies'?

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Could you post the recipe for'hanky pankies'?
    My mom's recipe is 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb pork breakfast sausage, brown this, and drain. Add 1 t oregano and 3/4 t cayenne and 1 lb melted velveeta. Mix and put on top of party rye. Freeze on cookie sheet; bag. Thaw for 30 min and broil for 4 minutes.

I tried to re-create the velveeta. Not a complete success 1st time, had to drain off some of the cheese sauce I made, and had to add extra cheese, etc. Will try again, but drained and added to, etc. they are good!!! Except my 4 year old who was looking forward to eating these all day said "mommy they are too peppery". She didn't even help make them, which I thought she was going to do, and I thought it was pretty awesome that she picked up on the "pepper". I promised to make them again this weekend with out the pepper (or much less). I would reduce the cayenne next time. They were a little spicy, but I usually like that.

I remember making this once upon a time! Your mom and I must be around the same age! Just a thought, but could you melt some cheese with a little milk to make a sauce? Or could you just add gobs of shredded cheese to the hot meat mixture?

I googled hanky pankies, and boy, some interesting sites come up! Since the cheese goes into the hot meat mixture, I would use a sharp grated cheddar. I may have to revisit this recipe sometime soon with grated sharp cheddar.

I have a number of Velvetta recipes to come out too soupy for me and all American cheese is too dry. What about half and half? Half Velveeta and half American slices or brick. I get the American at the deli counter. 1 lb. brick of Velveeta sounds like a lot.
    That is a lot of cayenne for me. The ground pork sausage isn't hot but is highly seasoned. Nowadays, I just pinch crushed red pepper in to taste. I trust my fingers more than a teaspoon.