Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Watcher/Weight Loss Thread November 2012

Weight Watcher/Weight Loss Thread November 2012

I just posted on the old thread but decided to get us started for November.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Valerie, we've thought about poles. We met a couple when we started out, and another when we were heading back, and all of them had poles. We have "walking sticks" -- hand-carved wooden sticks for use around our mountains. Would they work? Or do we need poles? And do you use two -- one for each hand?

I first joined WW back in the liver days too, and there is absolutely no resemblance to the program back then and the program now. And several of our members are vegetarians. There's a lot of supplemental information our Leader passes out, and some of it is about being vegetarian on this program. There are also books (The Food Companion) and a calculator that help figure the points on everything you eat. If you join online, you'll have access to all of this without having to buy anything. Back when I started, I got a WW online offer for four months for the price of three, so I joined it. My closest friend had joined a meeting in Texarkana, and I loved all the "stuff" she got. I spend my days -- 8 hours five days a week -- online with my job, and the last thing I wanted to do was be online on my off time. You have to understand that I'm a dinosaur. I fight technology every step of the way. My husband cannot believe that I don't want to have an iphone. So when our meeting started up here after I'd been doing WW online for four months, I let it go and just do the meetings. I'm also the kind of person who needs accountability. At least I used to to. I'm a WW convert now, but I've made a lot of friends at the meetings and love the meetings. We jokingly call it our weekly therapy. Our Leader is unbelievable. Funny, outgoing, motivating, etc. So I'm happy this way. But you can get so much information online, and everything you need will be available to you if that's the route you choose.

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Yikes - it's November. It didn't even dawn on me when I posted on that thread yesterday. I'm in denial when it comes to fall/winter seasons anyways - hate them.

Denise - you're doing so well. Congrats to you!

Thanks for the congrats on the other thread. I don't think I ever wore a 4, but it's possible that sizes today are not what they used to be. I don't ever remember seeing a 0 way back when I probably needed it in my early teens. Most of my adult life I have comfortably worn an 8 and in recent years a 10.

Denise - you asked about maintenance and if I found it to be difficult. I can't speak for everyone, but I think for people who made a huge adjustment in their diet, it may be more difficult if they don't continue eating that way. Some people don't find the reasons why they gained weight and end up gaining it back after they think they can eat normal again. For me, I ate the right things before, it was just my portions that were off. What I am doing now, is more like normal eating and I see no reason why I won't continue doing so. I don't look at ww as a restriction or something temporary. I'm not hungry, nor do I deprive myself. If I want a certain foods, I eat it. I was never an emotional eater - never ate a whole box of cookies or bag of chips to drown my sorrows. I could have sweets in front of me and only have a piece. The same goes for today, but my piece is smaller. So my answer to your question is that I am not finding it difficult, for now, and time will tell.

Val, when I started ww in March, I didn't expect to continue past the 3 month trial. I didn't expect too much out of it, but figured it was worth a shot. I find it really easy, and use the apps on my iPhone. I'm still paying for the plan and will do so until I've followed it for a year. The money isn't anything compared to what I get out of it. For foods that you cook on your own, you use a recipe builder or total the ingredients pts up and divide by # of servings. If you have the fat, carb, protein and fiber values of a recipe, then you enter them into a calculator and it gives you the pts. It takes a bit to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. My recipes are in Master cook and after I have figured out the points to a recipe, I go back to MC and edit the value in. If you do join, if you have any questions, just ask.

Denise, I use two poles. I like wrist straps with angled handles, but I'd think walking sticks would do pretty much the same thing. I plant the poles slightly in front and walk to them. while pressing down on the poles. it has toned up my arms too. we do a lot of steep terrain. they help crossing streams, holding back wet brush, and if it's snowy or icy they help balance. and mainly, they keep my hands from getting numb. something about the back pack pressure on my shoulders, or just gravity I guess.
    they encourage you to swing your arms more.. plant them and almost pull yourself forward. or plant them in front to brace and slow you when going down steep slippery stuff. DH made fun of it at first but now uses them himself. I have several sets over the years. one has an angled hand grip. some have baskets for snow. use those for xc skiing and for snowy hiking, so the pole does't just stab down to the bottom of the snow, but stops before it's in deep. . too short or too long does not work, I like adjustable. need to be longer for skiing, shorter for hiking. I hike in boots. they're fairly soft but I need ankle support. I get better traction with boots than shoes. they are usually more waterproof.

I had looked up WW meetings locally. the times /locations didn't work for me so may try online. we have a short trip coming up so will wait until after thanksgiving. I don't have a holiday over- eating issue. I'm quite stable so that's not it, just need to see what is keeping me from losing. I also have a physical coming up right before turkey day so will have some labs done. good to knwo us vegies people are able to fit in now!

I have an android phone but don't use it much, so I understand totally. I prefer my desktop for looking for things or coresponding. can't type on the silly little touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie226 View Post
    good to knwo us vegies people are able to fit in now!

Most veggies are 0 points too and with the amount of exercise you do, you will be getting LOTS of extra activity points.

thank you ralph.

I am finally down 1.6 lbs. I'm eating a little less. switched from wine to a stiff margarita with sugar free margarita mix. no chocolate piece most nights. I eat an apple every day. I'm hungry most nights when I wake up but go back to sleep. I guess that's what it will take.

Did a major hike on monday, 6 1/2 hours. very steep, around 7 miles RT. more than 3000 feet gain in only a couple miles. my downhill muscles are sore but not ridiculous. Denise, poles are incredibly useful when it's steep, especially for braking going downhill. I stick them in front of me and plant them firmly to take pressure off my knees and ankles. going up I do the opposite. plant them in front and let them help with uphill momentum. this was a very steep hike . also did a couple upper body weight workouts with some significant strength gains, and my usual yoga class.

Cafe latte your comments took me back 50 years. I had a best friend who was constantly dieting. always the idea that if she could lose 10 lbs, then she could go back to eating "normally". She always said that in those exact words, lose 10 lbs and then she could eat "normal" again. she never saw that what she called "normal" was the problem. She'd buy a whole cake and sit down with a fork and eat until it was gone, that kind of thing. that was because she'd eat 500 calories a day for a few days and finally get so hungry she'd go out of control and resolve it with a cake. I'd have a few bites but that was enough. I'm still that way, but haven't tapered my portions to address age related issues. so like you, I'm eating the right things, just a little too much of them.

I don't have any of my recipes on computer. strictly paper. many have the required numbers but most don't. I've always been pretty selective on recipes. Hopefully with this current tactic I'll continue slowly downward.

Hey there everybody! Even tho I'm no longer doing 'official' WW, I'm still watching intake. I weigh the same this week as last down to the ounce, so doing something right. I have had to go and get a few new things to wear (yippee) and today the highlight was at Christopher and Banks and got into a size 6!!!!!!!!!! dress jean! I tried on the 8 and it fit ok and the saleslady said,,, oh, try a 6,,, oh no,,, i could never wear a 6! Well, I DID! They fit great, but are a looser than regular jean fit. I did buy a pair of jean-jeans in a size 8 (even that is AMAZING!) I don't think that I have worn a 6 since I was in my 20's. Happy Dance! Was so thrilled, I went to DSW and got a great pair of Clark jean shoes and Charming Charlies for some bling! A good day all around... hope everybody has a good week!

Val - great loss - congrats!

Casey - great job maintaining!

I weighed in and saw no change, which is great since I am officially on maintenance. This past weekend I had a craving for a fattening burger - due to PMS - so we headed out to Red Robin and I had the Burning Love (jalapeno) burger and it was about 23 pts. I didn't care - that's what the weekly points are for. Now my craving is gone and it will be months before I eat something like that again - and no damage done.

Out of curiosity, do you find that people notice your weight loss or not? I didn't tell anyone that I joined WW (and still don't talk about it outside of here) but it's weird how some people will notice and say something, while others don't say a word. Our relatives all live out of the area so we haven't seen anyone in a while, so I'm not referring to them. I ran into someone I hadn't seen since the spring and she immediately said I looked great and looked like I lost weight. I said thanks, and left it at that and we talked about our kids. On the other hand, I have a friend who I see every 2 weeks for lunch (today is one of those days, so that's probably why this is on my mind). She is obsessed with talking about herself - her workouts, her vacation and "thinking" she gained weight from her vacation, how she has a dress from 30 years ago that still fits, etc. Not once has she said anything to me. Now I prefer it that way, only because I don't care to discuss it with her since she is one of those who likes to give unsolicited advice (even to strangers) and I don't discuss everything with her, but it makes me wonder, if she really is so self absorbed not to notice (which I always thought was the case with her), or just doesn't want to say anything. However, she will make comments about others that either need to lose weight (like her SIL) or a neighbor who has lost weight. It's just weird. It might be because I see her about twice a month that she didn't notice the gradual changes. Since this is the first time in my life that I ever lost weight (except for pregnancy which I was fortunate to shed), I was just curious what your experience is/was.

Basketball season has officially started and since DS is a senior, this is his last year playing. I'm looking so forward to the hectic practice schedules with no real dinner time and never knowing if he will be hungry or not when he gets home. I should be used to it by now.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Most of my friends know that I was trying to lose a few pounds and always are so great about saying how good I look, etc... BUT, the one that got on WW with me and has lost about 20 pounds told me last week at a wine function (can you see this coming????) that I looked gaunt, WAY too thin, unhealthy??!!!! A few other ladies said NO, she looks great... my feelings were hurt and when I talked to my trainer (who also was training my friend), she said JEALOUS! My friend doesn't seem like that kind of person, but a bit of wine i think loosened her tongue. Your friend might also not like that YOU are losing so chooses to NOT comment at all.... people are SO strange at times. Just know that you are doing good and let it go.... as I learned a while back.... you can't change people, only how YOU react to them....

Thanks for your view, Casey. It actually does not bother me that she hasn't said anything and I prefer that. It actually only occurred to this morning, since we are meeting for lunch, that she has never said anything. She's really not one to keep quiet about things either. She's a friend I met when we moved here that used to get together with others for lunch every so often. Over the years, other friends have moved away and we are only really the ones left from that group left.

As for the comments from you friend, I agree that the wine made her loose lipped and she has some jealousy issues. To use the word gaunt is extreme, IMHO.

Val, great loss! And about time, huh?!! And thanks for the tips on the poles. We'll definitely be looking into them.

Casey, good for you too! Maintaining so well and a size 6! Way to go!

Cafe Latte, congrats to you too on your maintenance going so well! I "get" your craving too. My DH doesn't eat red meat, and I rarely do anymore either. But every now and then, I truly crave red meat, and Monday was one of those days. A friend and I went to a steak restaurant, and I had a great big cheesy, steak quesadilla! And loved every mouthful! I used an obscene amount of weekly points, but that's why we have them.

Casey, I have one friend who has all but ignored my 67 pound weight loss. She's been dieting since I've known her, and she never appears to lose. She's always saying that her body refuses to drop weight. She's probably 30 pounds overweight, it's hard for me to tell really. Anyway, if we're around anyone who comments on my weight loss, she'll say "Yes, Denise looks great." But over the last 14 months, she almost never appears to notice. I love her, and I just let it go. I do think that jealously might be a little bit of the "why" though.

Denise

I'm cautious commenting on someone's weight loss, but I usually say something. It could be because they have some serious medical issue, for example. not everyone wants to share that with casual friends.

especially if you're eating a meal together, I would think it would be part of the normal flow of conversation. It would be hard to impossible not to notice a 35 or 67 lb loss, unless the person was very much overweight. I'd ask how they did it, what kind of diet, how they changed their eating patterns to achieve it. You are probably wearing new clothes too and new clothes are always a pretty safe way to get toward the topic of weight loss.
    I not too long ago asked someone in my yoga class if they'd lost weight, and she had. I congratulated her on it. but now she's regaining it, and so obviously I won't say anything about THAT. but if she loses again I'd probably mention noticing it. Of course, in yoga you really get to look at each other pretty closely! She'd lost 20 and it was obvious.

So I think it's impossible for a friend not to notice that big a loss. maybe it triggers self doubt and discomfort about something they've been unable to do themselves. they're uncomfortable enough that they don't want the topic brought up, even if it pertains to you and reminds them of their own failure.
    Casey, congrats. a size 6 is something! I've never been that small in my life! probably won't be either.... beefy muscular legs that will not get small enough to get there. I already have issues because my torso shrinks but legs stay the same so pants, especially low rise, won't stay up without a belt but I need the width in the legs. Gaunt seems extreme.... maybe a bad cjhoice of words?

I agree there are many reasons why one doesn't comment on another persons weight - even thinking someone may be pregnant when they gained weight is a big faux paux. And I agree that people do put the lbs back on, and that's one reason I never mentioned to anyone I was wanting to lose weight, because of the # of people who have failed. One lady who used to be in our lunch group announced her latest diet all the time, followed through for a bit, and then gained it back. I was just curious what others experienced. Oh, an in case you are wondering, the friend didn't say anything again today, but then again, when she consumes a couple of hours discussing herself, it may be hard to see anything else. But I have to agree, at some point it's difficult not to recognize when lots of lbs are dropped.

What in the world is going on?

Denise

I don't get what spammers who write in another alphabet can get out of posting her, but oh well... There were a couple earlier on this thread that I reported.

Hope everyone is having a great week otherwise.

Hi everyone! It's been a quiet week on the BB! I'm extremely busy at work since I'm taking all of next week off (our college closes at noon on Wednesday, so I'm only having to take 2-1/2 days). Lots to get done before being gone a week. My DH is remodeling our master bathroom, and it's a mess, but I'm so glad it's getting done. Unfortunately, that will spill into next week, but since we're not having company, it won't really matter. We'll still have our special Thanksgiving Day -- brunch and mimosas in the morning, then "our" traditional dinner that evening. Even though my DH has a large cabinet shop, we "show" our house since we have cabinets in every room. The bathroom remodel started with a new updated vanity cabinet, then we decided to put a Carrera marble top on it with an undermount sink, which led to stripping the wallpaper, re-painting the entire room, all new hardware (going from brass to brushed nickel), etc. It just got bigger and bigger. But I'm excited about the end result.

I missed my meeting last week. I felt pretty bad, and unfortunately I "comforted" myself with too much food. When I weighed at home, I had gained 2 pounds. This morning, I had lost that 2 pounds, but that means I've done nothing in two weeks. Oh well, I have many more losses than gains, and who knows? I may actually lose a few ounces.

I'll check in tomorrow with my results before going on vacation. We only have one meeting a week in my little town, and it's on Thursdays, so we won't have a meeting next week. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Denise

Denise, it sucks when the scale doesn't show what we would like it to. I have come to realize that all weight gain is not "fat gain". I am actually doing an experiment on myself and weighing daily up until the end of the year to see how certain food affects my body. I decided to do that after this past Sat. when I ate Chinese takeout. We are not talking about a large amount of food and I didn't load up my plate by any means. The next day I weighed myself and I was up 3 lbs. It took me 4 days, to get rid of those 3 lbs. I know it wasn't real fat weight, as I didn't eat over 10,000 calories to cause that gain. The sodium really did a number on me. So my point is, don't beat yourself up over not showing a loss in two weeks. In the end, the gain was temporary, you owned up to it, so now you can move on.

It may not have just been the sodium. I seldom eat white rice...but it puts a pound on me overnight. You are on the right track to see what foods affect your weight though.

Denise - the goal some weeks is to stay the same. Many people don't lose every week and if you are close to your goal, the weight comes off much slower. Staying put sometimes is okay

I'm still plugging along with a low processed carb, high protein/fat diet. I still haven't reached my goal of 135 but I'm staying pretty steady at 140-142.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    It may not have just been the sodium. I seldom eat white rice...but it puts a pound on me overnight. You are on the right track to see what foods affect your weight though.

Denise - the goal some weeks is to stay the same. Many people don't lose every week and if you are close to your goal, the weight comes off much slower. Staying put sometimes is okay

I'm still plugging along with a low processed carb, high protein/fat diet. I still haven't reached my goal of 135 but I'm staying pretty steady at 140-142.
    Actually I don't like the sticky rice, so I didn't have any. It was all just the meat/veg dishes. I probably had a total of 1 1/2 cups of food, so I don't think I over did it. Oh, and I had a shrimp roll too.

Good job on staying within 2 lbs. GL on getting to your 135 goal.

I don't eat much chinese.. I like it but the MSG gives me grief. I used to faint after eating anything with significant MSG in it so that was a clue that something wasn't right. It's been ages since that happened but I don't eat much food that might have it in. not a good outcome! it's always salty, msg or not, and I hold onto fluid.

Had a very inactive 10 days with much sitting and driving. we got in a little walking around in Yosemite and Lava Beds Nat Monument but for me a very sedentary trip. most of the time spent with family doing medical appointments, home maintenance things. I tried to eat as little as possible and think I stayed the same but have not weighed yet.

I am having trouble using the directional keys on my keyboard to move around on this site. up, down arrows, end key, space bar, that kind of thing. seems to have happened when the format changed. any ideas on what I can try?

Doing well here... still staying at my weight from 3 weeks ago. As I'm working out with the trainer still, I've upped my food (and alcohol) a bit. I do notice that any increase in sodium will put the pounds on me until I get enough water to cleanse my system. We had a wine get together last week and once I was home, the 'munchies' hit like crazy.... a 1/2 a bag of potato chips! The scales showed the increase the next day, but being good and drinking lots of water, got me back down. I'm going to try and watch what I eat over the holidays and stay with the trainer until after the first of the year and then probably let her go. I go to the fitness center every day anyway and now know what exercises I need to do and at what intensity and hope that I'll maintain my current weight. If not, I'll hire her back for a bit. She told me today that one of her clients that has only been with her for 4 weeks has lost 17"!!!!! WOW! I think it was about 10 pounds, but that it a whole bunch of inches! Hope that everybody has a great Thanksgiving and that the scales are kind!

I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. If anyone is traveling, have a fun, safe trip.

I'm glad I weigh in Thurs. so I have a week to work off the bad I might eat. Seriously though, it's only the 4 of us, so it should be easy to stay focused and not overeat.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Ours was quiet with just the 4 of us, so it was easy to eat well. I did have a piece of Chocolate Cake (the dessert the boys wanted), so I did treat myself too. I weighed in yesterday with a 1.5 lbs over the week, and then a gain of .5 lbs this morning. I'm was really surprised that I lost anything because I definitely am eating more on maintenance. I have been weighing myself daily, but still counting my Thurs. weight. It's really interesting how your weight can fluctuate on a daily basis depending on food, activity, etc.

DS1 heads back to college this weekend and I am off to DS2's basketball game in a few minutes. They are 2-0 in their tournament, which is better that the 0-2 they were at this time last year. Hopefully they will play in the championship game tomorrow. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

You're right about the daily fluctuations... I don't know how much is actual day-to-day weight difference vs variability in the scale reading. I have pitched more than one scale for unreliable readings. I don't find anything worse than getting a reading one day, eating very lightly and then getting a 5 lb heavier reading the next day.

we had a nice dinner with just 4 adults. I usually don't have much trouble with holiday meals as they're not foods I tend to over-do on. had a small piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream but it was a standard size ( not oversize) pie and 4 of us ate half. my jeans feel looser today. I've been exercising after our short vacation and eating lightly since outdoor recreation gets kind of limited during the rainy season. no way am I hiking or riding a bike in weather like this. How is everyone else doing with holiday goodies and temptations?

You're right about the daily fluctuations... I don't know how much is actual day-to-day weight difference vs variability in the scale reading. I have pitched more than one scale for unreliable readings. I don't find anything worse than getting a reading one day, eating very lightly and then getting a 5 lb heavier reading the next day.
    Val, I have one of those scales too, but don't use it. I can step on in 3 times in a row and get 3 different reading a couple of lbs off. The one I use, I can step on 3 times and get the exact same reading. It's digital, but old, but reliable. The other one is newer and just unreliable. This morning, I showed a .5 lb loss, which I expected I would be back to where I was on Thurs since I ate less and didn't have cake.

When jeans are looser, I think it's a better indication of weight than the scale, so you are doing great.

As for holiday temptations, I used to enjoy baking. Now, I can honestly say I don't. I never was one to eat a lot of what I baked - DH did that. But now that I know how many points one piece of something is, I don't even want to make it. As for holiday cookies, I will bake a couple of the boys fave, rather than several I would make in the past. We have some cousins visiting the weekend before Christmas and they are healthy eaters, so it's always easy to feed them.

Used to put me into a total funk, when I was doing everything right, and suddenly I was 5 lbs heavier, like overnight! no I didn't accidentally eat 17,000 extra calroies without noticing. gave that one to Goodwill. one other I use to weigh things like backpacks, squash and pumpkins I grew, where a kitchen scale is not up to the duty and approximate is fine. the scale I have now is consistent and it was not that expensive. digital.

Funny...when I was a kid my mother used to bake 30+ kinds of cookies for xmas, along with stollen and other goodies. that was standard for our family. people would visit, have a cocktail and pass the plate of cookies. DH's family does nothing like that, and I don't know anyone who does. my sister kept the tradition going for a long time but can't afford the $$ ingredients anymore. plus, she's way overweight with diabetes and multiple health problems. I've gotten way less interested in sweets. still enjoy good dark chocolate, good ice cream, and other things... but not on daily basis.

I'm looking for a good website that addresses type 2 diabetes and food particularly. my brother has T2 diabetes also, and has trouble controlling his appetite and weight and refuses to check blood sugars. he's on a weight loss program now and I'm trying to encourage him but without the feedback of blood glucose readings to see what food does to his glucose values, I don't know how to advise him. Anyone have experience or ideas? there's almost too much stuff out there on line to check out.

I'm looking for a good website that addresses type 2 diabetes and food particularly. my brother has T2 diabetes also, and has trouble controlling his appetite and weight and refuses to check blood sugars. he's on a weight loss program now and I'm trying to encourage him but without the feedback of blood glucose readings to see what food does to his glucose values, I don't know how to advise him. Anyone have experience or ideas? there's almost too much stuff out there on line to check out.
    I don't have anything to offer but know that Type 2 can be reversed with losing weight and getting healthy. I visit the WW boards and there is one woman in particular who has lost over 100 lbs in a year on ww. The Dr. told her she would never lose weight w/o surgery and I believe she is off her insulin. She has a host of other medical problems and says if she can lose the weight, others can, and she still has a long way to go. You might want to start a thread about this where you might find more people can respond to it and have some suggestions for you.

This is a good place to start, then go to some of the low-carb websites. I think that's where DD is getting some of her information.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thanks,,, that one looks pretty good. I am so used to people being able to check glucose that I can't imagine going back 20 years when it wasn'ty so easy. I've tried to explain to him that he could determine pretty easily what happens to his glucose if he eats (or drinks) specific foods by checking his levels but he won't do it. I used to sell meters when they were first on the market. it was obvious that the same foods didn't affect everyone the same way, and the meters gave valuable information. He is NOT stupid but pretty resistant when it comes to the discomfort of fingersticks. I've done hundreds on myself so I know they aren't that bad, and thaqt you get used to it. besides if you figure out that your glucose spikes if you eat "whatever" then you can adjust your diet accordingly and not reinvent the wheel every time.