Community Message Boards

Thread: Salted Browned Butter Honey & Oat Cookies (review of Simply Sensational Cookies)

Thumbs up Salted Browned Butter Honey & Oat Cookies (review of Simply Sensational Cookies)

We were talking about new cookbooks, and this one was mentioned. So I just thought I would pass along a review and the first recipe I made. I LOVED it, although I did make a major change by using browned butter. The cookies in the book are both quite contemporary but also rather old fashioned by having such a heavy emphasis on "au naturel". I love rustic cooking and baking so that is right up my alley. Pictures are through the link.

Salted Browned Butter Honey and Oat Cookies
    Author: Adapted from Nancy Baggett by The Spiced Life
    Recipe type: cookies

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
    1 2/3 cups dark brown sugar
    1/3 cup mild honey
    1/4 t fine sea salt
    4 cups old fashioned rolled oats (I used Bob's Red Mill extra thick oats)
    1 1/2 t baking powder
    1 3/4 cups (220 g) AP flour
    good quality coarse sea salt, to taste
    Instructions
    Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Have all ingredients measured and ready before beginning.
    Melt the butter in a large saucepan. After it is melted, whisk the butter constantly over medium heat until it is nicely browned but not burnt.
    Turn off the heat and dump in the sugar, honey and fine sea salt. Mix until smooth with no lumps of brown sugar. Mix in the oats and baking powder. Let stand to cool for a few minutes.
    Stir the flour into the dough until evenly incorporated. Let the dough stand for 5 minutes to firm up. Using a small cookie scoop (about 1 1/2 inches diameter), scoop mounds of cookie dough onto a baking sheet at least 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with the coarse sea salt, to taste.
    Bake for 10-13 minutes, until brown at the edges and darker in the middle. Watch carefully toward the end, when the browning becomes more rapid. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes and then carefully transfer to a cooling rack.
    Recipe by The Spiced Life at http://thespicedlife.com/2012/11/sal...t-cookies.html
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Thanks for starting a thread on this book. I just went over and checked out the cookies on your blog - very nice. I just got this book too so I need to carve out some time to work my way through it.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Laura, thanks for the link to your blog. I went to look at the picture of the cookie and read your entry as well.

You and your mom are very fortunate to have that opportunity--reading about your "Tuesday grandma" and now your mom's more frequent visits with you really warmed my heart and brought a tear to my eye. I wish my daughter lived close enough to enable something similar, so I was filled with happiness for you & your mom reading about it, and thinking how I would dearly love the same.

...and the cookies look yummy.

Thanks both of you for hopping over to the blog, and thanks Beachside for your comments about what I wrote. My mom and I had some rocky years right around when my daughters were born, but it has been wonderful to have her "dropping in" for shorter but more frequent visits. I am lucky to have her close by.

And if anyone makes other recipes from the book please let me know which and how they turn out.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    We were talking about new cookbooks, and this one was mentioned. So I just thought I would pass along a review and the first recipe I made. I LOVED it, although I did make a major change by using browned butter. The cookies in the book are both quite contemporary but also rather old fashioned by having such a heavy emphasis on "au naturel". I love rustic cooking and baking so that is right up my alley. Pictures are through the link.

thank you for the post...would you recommend buying the book, i have it tagged as a "wish list" but i own so many cook books that i keep coming back to "do i really need another one?" i'd love your input.

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•.

Living Life....One Bite at a Time

www.MmGood.com

Quote Originally Posted by patty520 View Post
    thank you for the post...would you recommend buying the book, i have it tagged as a "wish list" but i own so many cook books that i keep coming back to "do i really need another one?" i'd love your input.
    Keeping in mind that I LOVE cookie cookbooks, yes I would recommend buying it.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Keeping in mind that I LOVE cookie cookbooks, yes I would recommend buying it.
    Me, too. So I have to buy it. (And Anna's new book will be released on Tuesday.)
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Quote Originally Posted by KAnn View Post
    Me, too. So I have to buy it. (And Anna's new book will be released on Tuesday.)
    who is anna? which book? lol

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•.

www.MmGood.com

These sound SO good. But I am cookie-challenged. How easy are they? Mind you, I cannot make decent chocolate chip cookies but I can make sugar and gingerbread.

Quote Originally Posted by patty520 View Post
    who is anna? which book? lol
    Anna Ginsberg of Cookie Madness!

http://www.cookiemadness.net/
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

My family can't say not to a chocolate chip cookie, so my first cookie from the book was One-Bowl Big Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies. DH ate 5 of them when he got home from work, so clearly they pass

I have a bunch of them marked to try. Hoping to have an occasion soon to try the Gone to Heaven Gooey Caramel-Nut Bars (or Gooey Salted-Caramel Nut Bars). I can't make that pan with no plan to get them out of the house other than me eating them...

so i made one of nancy's recipes as well...and we LOVED it...it was the Spicy Gingerbread Twigs, I'm so buying the book!!!

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•.

www.MmGood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    I have a bunch of them marked to try. Hoping to have an occasion soon to try the Gone to Heaven Gooey Caramel-Nut Bars (or Gooey Salted-Caramel Nut Bars). I can't make that pan with no plan to get them out of the house other than me eating them...
    Is that the one with the dulce de leche in the middle? My daughter made them. OMGooooooooood!
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Is that the one with the dulce de leche in the middle? My daughter made them. OMGooooooooood!
    Now I wanna make them...lol

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•.

www.MmGood.com

Nope -- but found that recipe -- wow!! The gingerbread twists sound good too. I haven't had the chance to look through the whole book yet. Looking forward to do so later today.

I am finally ready to start my holiday baking list.