Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: running and riding buddies for november 2012

running and riding buddies for november 2012

Hi all,

I'll start off by asking about a cat, a car, and a house.

Carrie, nice to "see" you but I'm so sorry to hear about your cat's health issues. Last thing you needed was a superstorm. Hope he/she feels better very soon.

Les, how's LW's car?

Vicci, how's the house (did you find out how it fared, and any update on financing)?

Ran yesterday - didn't feel like it due to a minor ailment but DH "made" me do it (well, of course he didn't make me, but he encouraged me). So I did and of course was better for it. 3.5 miles worth. Tonight I'll do a spin

Hallowe'en was good. In the morning we went to a Hallowe'en party for infants and their moms, and in the afternoon we had our usual coffee date with some other moms and babies. Decided not to take J out to the neighbouring houses at night, though, as it wasn't that nice out and he was tired. Got photos though of his costume, which is the important thing. If anyone would like to see a couple, send me a PM/email

How's everyone else?
    this seemed like a nice way to begin nov thread- ditto to the questions along with (((hugs))) to vicci with the house worries.

les- curious- what are your running plans for this week? i've got a 10 miler today, 5 mile tempo mon ( i thought i had my last speedwork but well it helps to turn the page ) 3 easy (ie slow) on tues and again thurs, and 2 sssssllooowww on sat which will be my run/walk 5k- marathon sun

feeling for the runners who won't be running in the nyc marathon and really feeling for friends and everyone still recovering from the hurricane-
    Cheryl

Hi,

Cheryl, thanks for starting this month's thread. How was the 10 miler? So exciting about yours and Les' marathons coming up so soon!

I also feel for the NYC runners. Not a good situation from either perspective

I dedicate the run I did today to the NYC marathon hopefuls. I did 5 miles at a fast-for-me pace. Got in a very short run and a longer spin yesterday.

Vicci, any update from DE?

Had a wonderful moment yesterday that you foodies will appreciate. I was finally making DH's birthday cheesecake yesterday (didn't end up happening on Monday, or Tuesday, or.... It was one of those weeks!). As I mixed the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and eggs in the Kitchen Aid, our chowhound dog was lying behind me watching, and Mr. J was standing tucked in between me and the cabinets so he couldn't fall, looking intently up towards the mixer. The pup has enjoyed watching me cook - and especially bake - since we took him home as a puppy, but baking with both of them watching was just special.

How is everyone else doing?
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Thanks for starting Nat and Cheryl. LW's car is okay, it ended up being her distributor which was original equipment (1999) - ~$500 later it's all better. Hopefully that will be the last non-standard repair but I know better considering the car is now over 13 years old. If we can keep the repairs down to a few a year then things will be just dandy - or at least until next May when my car is paid off.

Having seen most of Mr. J's pictures if you didn't ask to see them you need to - (I'm biased) he's a cutie! I can only imagine Cabot hoping for a spill and Mr. J watching you bake Nat - that must have been a picture. Good job with your 5 miler today. I think it was good to cancel NYC even though it hacked up some people and put out a lot of folks who had traveled. We talked about the marathon this morning while running and my partner said he would have gone up if he had an entry and done volunteer work where it was needed.

Cheryl - I did 10 this morning like you did. I think the plan you're on for your last week is "typical" - the good end of a taper. Monday's tempo run isn't really a speed run in my book, it's one that keeps you loose and in the groove for the race but still has some speed included. For your first marathon 3 easy Tues/Thur is good as well as 2 easy on Sat. Enough motion to keep you from getting tightened up but not too much. Me? I'll probably run about 45 minutes Monday and something Tuesday - in the neighborhood of 4, I hope to get out Wednesday before our team pre-race dinner. Thursday's aren't normally good days for me to run because I have choir practice and need to get from church to home and back to church by 7:00 and have to eat in there somewhere.

Echoing Nat and Cheryl - I hope the kitty is better Carrie and I hope your house in DE resolves well Vicci.

I had a good 10+ mile run this morning and had a little bit of a "heart check" as I stubbed my toe on a branch that I was standing on and almost took a header. Thankfully, I didn't get that close and didn't tweak anything.

This afternoon I went back to the retreat center on the James River and had the opportunity to do something new in my ordained life - I celebrated communion with my Father (also a priest). For those who know how things go in a liturgical church I was the one who consecrated the elements with Dad assisting. What a joy - even more of a joy than a "normal" celebration.

Need to take care of a little business and I hope everyone is well this weekend.
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Visit my new ministry site: St. John's Episcopal church, Suffolk VA.

I heard on the (NPR) news that some runners did run in NYC, and that they carried backpacks of supplies into the city. Nice!

Cheryl, where is your run next Sunday? I'm having memory issues.

Nat, I'm seeing Mr J in the future... running a marathon... returning home to make dinner for friends... and doing it all very competently! Cabot seems to be a very good kitchen companion, as well.
    Send me the link to Mr J's photos, I should be somewhere near wifi this week and able to view them.

Les you obviously have a quick response to those "toe stubbing moments", I'm glad that nothing got jerked around when that happened.

Carrie, I'm so glad that you're okay. I just hope that your cat is feeling better (you really don't need that added to your life right now, and neither does kitty!).

I got out for a run today, but it was short because I waited until late afternoon and forgot that the clock jumped back and now it was going to be dark sooner. I also found evidence that hunters have been prowling in our woods, and I was a little nervous about being there as it was getting darker.

On the new home front, our offer was flatly rejected. Our realtor believes that the owner really doesn't want to sell, but that doesn't make us feel a whole lot better! On the good side, we now have that line of credit established so we do have the resources to buy something quickly if a good deal appears. We shall see...

Oh! And the new bathroom, that was started nine months ago, is now functional. Not completely finished, but we'll take care of the details in the next couple of weeks. Nice to have a second bathroom for guests, but we keep forgetting that it's there.

What's everyone up to this week?
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Hi All, thanks for the well wishes for kitty. He is home and doing a little better but I'm still worried about him. In terms of the hurricane, the upside of the transit disruption for me was biking to work Thur & Fri. It is a GOOD workout! I also got in my strength/conditioning class on Sat. There are tons of people volunteering here which is AWESOME. I want to do some volunteering this week/weekend. We'll see what I can find to do!

Vicci - Sorry to hear the house deal was rejected... Great news about the new bathroom though!!

Nat - Sounds like you had a nice time baking

Cheryl - Good luck with the marathon on Sunday! Are you glad to be done with the bulk of the training?

Les - Glad you didn't end up stubbing your toe or falling!

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaL View Post
    Cheryl, where is your run next Sunday? I'm having memory issues.
    I'll "poach" and say that Cheryl's running on the Outer Banks starting in Kitty Hawk.
    Les you obviously have a quick response to those "toe stubbing moments", I'm glad that nothing got jerked around when that happened.
    After all these years I've figured out how to maintain my balance when absolutely necessary.
    I got out for a run today, but it was short because I waited until late afternoon and forgot that the clock jumped back and now it was going to be dark sooner. I also found evidence that hunters have been prowling in our woods, and I was a little nervous about being there as it was getting darker.

On the new home front, our offer was flatly rejected. Our realtor believes that the owner really doesn't want to sell, but that doesn't make us feel a whole lot better! On the good side, we now have that line of credit established so we do have the resources to buy something quickly if a good deal appears. We shall see...

Oh! And the new bathroom, that was started nine months ago, is now functional. Not completely finished, but we'll take care of the details in the next couple of weeks. Nice to have a second bathroom for guests, but we keep forgetting that it's there.

What's everyone up to this week?
    You could always pull a "Doc Hollywood" with the hunters. I'm sorry about the house but maybe there's a bigger reason for the jerking around. Great news about your bathroom being finished.

I'm glad to hear you are doing okay Carrie. I hope your kitty is on the mend.

I've got a few meetings planned this week. I'm going to my first Ruritans meeting tomorrow and holding an election day vigil on Tuesday. Pre-race dinner on Wednesday and choir practice Thursday.

How about everyone else?
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Happy November all

Cheryl- Best of luck to you with your race this weekend, I hope it goes well and that the weather cooperates. Do you tell your students about your races?

Nat- I would love to see pictures of Mr J. He must be getting so big. How sweet that everyone was helping you cook. I still love that my boys love to be in the kitchen and will help me cook.

Carrie- I am so glad to hear that things are starting to return to normal. I hope that your cat continues to progress. I hope the bike workouts to work continue to be enjoyable. Did you get a chance to volunteer?

Vicci- I am so sorry to hear about the offer, but people are so crazy when it comes to real estate and trying to make money. But like you said you will be ready to move on an offer now. Congrats on finishing the bathroom, any construction projects left?

Les- Sounds like a busy week. I don't know much about the prayer service you spoke about but being with your father must have been very special. Good luck with your vigil tomorrow, and I think either way many people will be glad when tomorrow is over. How long until your race, two weeks right?

Well October craziness is over and I get a few slow weeks before we hit December. Both boys are done with baseball, but start basketball in December and I coach those teams so I will cherish these weeks in November. Halloween was a big hit in our house, especially since it followed two days of no school. We had no damage from the storm and only a brief blip of power, so we were very lucky.
    PT has been intense these days, she is ramping up the stress on the leg to see how is handles it, so far only some soreness but no pain. I have added resistance to the eliptical and I can run for 3 minutes every third day right now, but if it gets me back to where I was I will take it right now.
    Hope everyone else is well, MinEaston how did you fair in the storm?
    Heather

Lots to comment on, so I'll do my best to remember everything.

Heather, great to hear from you. Sounds like you are making good progress although I know - and totally understand! - that you would like it to be faster. Enjoy the relatively quiet few weeks.

Vicci, I'm very sorry to hear about the house but as you say, great that the financing is sorted out, making it easier to jump on new opps as they arise. Congrats on the bathroom!

I saw your post on the food board about gluten-free pizza crust. Did I miss (or forget) something? When did you go GF?

Les, good that the toe and the rest of you are fine - and LW's car, too!

Cheryl, you must be getting so excited! When do you leave?

Carrie, thanks for the update on your cat and all of you. What a stressful few days this must have been. Way to go, looking at the silver lining, though (biking to work being a great workout)!

Heather and Vicci, will send you guys some photos of Mr. J soon, hopefully!

I ran yesterday (4 miles) and today I did a pretty good spin and some abs.

Going to watch the US election tonight. Hope nobody had trouble getting out to vote, and that you get the national and local results you're hoping for!
    Last edited by Natasha; 11-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.

hi everyone!
    thanks les for answering the question- yes outer banks- kitty hawk to the party in manteo!
    good luck sat!! fleet feet

vicci- sorry to hear about your house but i misunderstood thought you had bought it only to see it washed away! glad i was way wrong there!

heather- glad you're doing better leg wise! hope the soreness fades soon-

carrie- hugs to you and your kitty- lucky you for being able to bike to work

nat- what a beautiful baking memory-wishing you lots more

my 10 miler went great last sat- the hills on my route felt flat- always love that! i am so excited for my race sun. a friend said to enjoy the experience and so far i have- my coach said the race is my victory lap and i like that way of thinking. heather- i shared more last year with my class than this year. this years group has a different flavor and they don't seem so interested so i haven't been boring them.(just boring everyone with all my posts on facebook lol) they know im leaving fri am to run and won't be back til wed- i might bring in the finishers medal if its jazzy.
    Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl!

Great that your last run went so well! Puts you in the right frame of mind I'm sure. You sound so stoked and you will do GREAT. Love the victory lap analogy. There's nothing like your first marathon Look forward to hearing all about it!!

Echoing Heather's note to MinEaston - hope she is OK post-storm.

I felt sprightly (for me ) today and had a very good run indeed. 5 miles at a decent clip by my standards - esp. the last 2 miles.

Enjoyed coffee with the moms as I always do on Wednesdays. We meet at a cafe. The owner is a delight. J just loves her. So it's a nice afternoon out for both of us. Not sure who gets more out of it.

How's everyone else doing? Were you up late watching the election? I wasn't ... fell asleep watching it, actually and when I woke up I figured I knew what would happen so no need to lose sleep watching 'til the end.

Carrie, how is the kitty doing? And are you preparing for the next storm? Yeesh!

Heather it sounds as though you're focusing on the PT and making progress. Slowly and surely, right? You sound so busy with other activities, though, it's not like you're sitting around and doing nothing else!

Les, how'd the pre-race dinner go? Was it at someone's house or a restaurant?

Cheryl, you really sound excited about the race this weekend and you are prepared-- have a blast! You should absolutely take in your finishers medal to class, jazzy or not. Good luck!

Nat, I can't imagine that you're not often "sprightly"... you just seem to be that sort of a person! Sounds like you had a nice "zen run" today. The cafe you and J go to sounds fun, I'll bet that you look forward to Wednesdays just for being able to do that. And I also watched the election results last night (for far too long and am dragging a bit today).

About the GF post, I've been feeling a bit "off" for a while now. I cut out wheat, dairy, and sugar for 3 weeks then brought each back into my diet (hoping that it was a dairy allergy!) but, alas, it is wheat. *sigh* I'm still wrapping my head around it (how on earth can I make all of those Christmas cookies and not eat them? Ack!).

And in reply to Heather's inquiry about if we have any constructions projects remaining--- may I laugh hysterically???? Sorry. I've finally started laying a new floor in the laundry room and am about 1/3 of the way through. Today we hung a very heavy mirror in the new bathroom (fingers crossed that it stays up!), and installed the rod and shelf in a closet, plus the casing around the closet doors in the laundry room. There is so much to do, and I'd like to be done by the first of December.

Which is why I'm not running often any more. I did go out this evening but, once again, mistimed it and ended up returning in the almost-dark with about 2.5 miles done. There was a gorgeous sunset, and I am really going to try to get out at least 3x/ week from now on.

It's nice to keep up with what everyone is doing, even though I am only running sporadically.
    Vicci

Les, how'd the pre-race dinner go? Was it at someone's house or a restaurant?
    We ate dinner at a local restaurant (Cheryl knows it - JoJacks). It was a nice meal and good company.

About the GF post, I've been feeling a bit "off" for a while now. I cut out wheat, dairy, and sugar for 3 weeks then brought each back into my diet (hoping that it was a dairy allergy!) but, alas, it is wheat. *sigh* I'm still wrapping my head around it (how on earth can I make all of those Christmas cookies and not eat them? Ack!).
    I'm sorry you have an issue with wheat. I do know just how tough that can be and I hope that you get your hands around it quickly.

Time for bed see you tomorrow.
    Les

Hi all,

Vicci, I'm sorry too to hear that wheat has been bothering you Good luck with finding some GF recipes you like and is it possible that this is a temporary thing, or does it not work that way (pardon my ignorance )?

And you continue to get in some very impressive cross-training, such as your laundry room work and hanging the heavy mirror! Upper and lower body workouts both! Good for you to get in even the odd run with all that underway.

Good luck to Les and Cheryl this weekend!!! I'll be thinking of you both

Natasha

It's the second Friday in November, sooooo

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR RACES, LES (Saturday) and CHERYL (Sunday)!!!!!!

Please check in as soon as you catch your breath!!!

I meant to get in a run this afternoon, but after a day of assorted projects I simply ran out of time.

We're heading to the lake tomorrow for more projects, but I should be able to get in a nice run on Sunday. Knock on wood!

Nat, since I've been feeling out-of-sorts (can I explain by saying "various levels of crappy"? that seems to be the best description I can come up with) for a couple of years, and now that I've cut out wheat I've been feeling very much better, I can only assume that it's not a temporary thing. Alas.

Les, I was going to ask you about this situation several times but, well, I'm one of those people who like to do things without help. That attitude has bitten me a lot of times...

Anyway, it was so difficult to give up wheat, dairy, and sugar for 3 weeks! I was so crabby (poor DH...). But now that I've determined that I only have to watch the wheat I've been concentrating on adjusting what I eat and trying new recipes. I can eat some wheat occasionally, though. I live for my Sunday morning mini-bagel! But I've discovered that brown rice pasta tastes just like wheat, so that's helping.

So we know what Les and Cheryl are doing this weekend, and me, so how is everyone else going to spend their weekend? Hmmmmmmm????
    Vicci

Vicci, I'm sorry to hear that But it must feel good to have figured it out, and nice to feel better than you have in years! Enjoy the lake house today, and your run tomorrow. You have projects on the go everywhere! So impressed.

Les, hope your race today went well!!! I stalked (uh, tracked ) you online to see the final result, but want all the details

Cheryl, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!!

In response to Vicci's question about the weekend, this is ours. Last night we kicked off the weekend by just relaxing. A couple of food magazines (freebies) just came out, and also food calendars, so I curled up and read those. Found some good recipes to try and just enjoyed paging through them all. Got one more to read (Canadian Living), but saved that as I was getting saturated!

Today we went for a Christmas photo shoot - first family portraits with the three of us. I think they'll turn out well

Tomorrow we'll go to the Remembrance Day service and a friend is coming over.

And I am really looking forward to my run later today! Had a good spin yesterday.

How's everyone else?

Vicci - I know what you mean about not wanting to ask and to find out the truth behind a potential allergy. I'll also say that Quinoa pasta, while not like wheat, is a nice change of pace too - a little different flavor.

It sounds like you're going to have a good weekend Nat. For some reason I felt like I was being stalked on the course (both you and Charlie I might add). Race report a little later.

Fleet feet to Cheryl tomorrow - I texted her and she sounds like she is ready.

The remainder of my weekend will include a 6 hour fund raiser for a local young man who in March or April 2011 was involved in an accident and ended up being burned over his entire body except his face and feet (he is a welder and was wearing welders boots and a welder's hood). I heard something like 90-95%. They didn't think he would survive but was discharged a little while ago but needs upgrades to his house so he can have some sense of independence (although he can't be totally independent given the extent of his burns). They're going to have a meal and silent/live auction. It should be kind of fun but it could also be a lot given the state of my legs.

Race report...
    The weather was as expected - 38-39 at the start and 70 at the finish. I started with shorts only on the bottom half (besides shoes and socks thank you) and a tank, throw away long sleeve shirt, and sheddable shell. The shirt lasted less than 3/4 miles and I tied the shell around my waist by 2.25 (pitched it entirely at 9 miles).

Pre-race, it was neat to talk to a couple folks who were scheduled to run NYC and were admitted to Richmond at no cost. Things started well and I stuck to my plan - a minute slow in the first mile and 40 seconds slow in the second. Then settled into pace - ~9:30s with a 3:30/1 ratio. Got really tight starting ~18 and was forced to walk a mile from 23-24. Finish time was 4:30 and I felt like a salt lick.

They changed the course this year and threw a decent uphill @ ~8.5 miles and a couple other tricky hills in before the half-way point. I honestly think I went out too fast, not for the conditions but for my physiology. I can carry faster miles in half marathons and shorter but need to really consider closer to 10:00/mile (I know that still fast but years ago I did the same marathon @7:30 pace). I ended up really paying for the speed in the opening half at the end. I addition to the change at the start they changed the finish and had a super long downhill - about twice as long as the last time. The worst part was a steeper section into the finish line. My hamstrings were screaming to start with then the extra steep hill I was not happy.

Feeling much better now that I've had a big chicken breast and rice for dinner.

Time to do a couple things before I expire for the evening. Happy trails all...
    Les

Congratulations, Les!!!

Sounds like you did very well in all the circumstances and a marathon is always a HUGE accomplishment in my book. Way to go!

Hope you don't feel too stiff tomorrow and that your hamstrings cooperate so you can help out. What a nice thing you are all doing for that gentleman. Will you be doing services tomorrow too?

Vicci, sorry, I realized after that that was a dumb question. I wrote it just hoping there was a way this was temporary It's true that there are more and more options for GF food out there. I see the grocery store selection is always growing. That's great that you can still have your weekly mini-bagel and have found some good pasta.

Got in a good run today. I hadn't meant to go fast (as always, I mean fast for me), but my legs wanted to so I let them. Goodness knows sometimes it's the opposite... I want fast and they insist on slow I will stretch well tonight, though, and make myself go slower on my next run.

Thanks Nat. I'm having service as normal in the morning and I think things will be fine with my hamstrings - they aren't the loudest thing right now, the inside of my knees are the main culprit right now. I plan on spending some portion of the day at the fund raiser. Good job on your run today too.

Bed calls... happy trails,
    Les

Congratulations on your marathon finish, Les! Feeling like a salt lick..., I've never heard that expression before but running for 4-1/2 hours I can only imagine how it feels! I'm glad that you're recovering.
    How did the fund-raiser go?
    And thanks for the tip about quinoa pasta. I found corn pasta at Trader Joes last week (where I buy brown rice pasta) and bought some to try. Tonight was another iffy attempt at pizza...

Nat, no it wasn't a dumb question at all. I've had at least 2 friends ask the same thing!
    Sounds like you had a great run today (I love it when my legs say "go!"). Your relaxing evening sounded very nice; I just got 2 magazines and they call to me but I have a book on my kindle to finish first (it will get zapped back to the library midweek).

A successful, but extremely tiring, 24 hours at the lake house. Cleaned the carpet in the rooms on the second level, took apart and cleaned the grill outside, and we winterized the boat. And I got in a 3.2 mile run! I realized that I have totally missed the change of seasons since the trees are all bare now, but it was warm and sunny, and I did it at a decent pace. Now I'm counting the minutes until bedtime!
    Vicci

Congratulations on getting all the stuff done at the lake house. I bet that was a huge load off and I also bet you felt great getting a run in after all the other work this weekend. I've never really tried gf pizza but with the decent non-wheat flours out there that wouldn't be bad.
    I feel like a salt lick quite often - part of what happens when I run and sweat profusely. I'm feeling a lot better today although my ankles are achy and I can't figure that.

The total number of tickets sold for the fundraiser was 1,000 pre-sale and ~275 at the event. I can't even imagine how much money the silent auction made because the 50/50 auction had $630 to the winner. Besides raising all kinds of money it was a grand time.

Meeting Cheryl and her DH in the morning for coffee. It will be nice to sleep in too. I can't wait to hear Cheryl's race report tomorrow.

Happy trails,
    Les

Les, sounds like the fundraiser was a huge success! And fun to boot - way to go How are your ankles now?

Vicci, you had a marathon day at the lake house yourself. As always, I'm impressed. BTW, I loved your comment the other day about J running a marathon and then cooking for his friends Reading anything interesting on your Kindle?

Got in a very good, if short run today - just over 5k. The weather was incredible here these past two days.

Can't wait for Cheryl's race report! How fun that Les & Cheryl could have coffee today.

How's everyone else?

Les I now understand the "salt lick" analogy! I hope that your various aches have abated (in time for you to run again this week?). Hope that you had a nice visit with Cheryl today.
    I've tried several GF crust mixes and recipes but can't find one that I like enough to repeat (they all taste like a biscuit...).

Nat, you've had our weather, too, and are now probably watching it go away like we are. I spent the day outside painting and doing fall clean-up stuff since the temps are supposed to tumble. Glad that you were able to get out and enjoy, too!
    I just finished reading Ann Pachett's State of Wonder for the second time. It took a while for me to get into it, so I just had to go back and re-read it again. I did the same with her Bel Canto. Once the characters are set and developed, the story just sucks me in!

Another full day outside and, since I was still out there after dark, no time (or energy) to do anything other than make dinner.

So Cheryl, how'd you do on Sunday???
    Vicci

Long meeting at church - 2 days at the river too. Had a lot of fun with Cheryl and DH this morning and got 3 more punches on my coffee card. It's great to have a nice cup of joe with friends. I'm feeling a little better today and will be able to run when I have space to do so in the coming days.

More later...
    Les

Les-
    Congrats on your race. It sounds like it was a great run even though there were some tough spots. Glad to hear you enjoyed coffee with Cheryl, hope her race went well as well. Sounds like your body is recovering nicely.

Vicci- I am sorry that you are having issues with wheat. We have several friends that are gluten free and I am always surprised when I cook for them where I find gluten. Glad to hear that the home projects are moving along and that you were able to get work done on the lake house. We need to put the gardens to bed for the winter, I think that is next weekends project.

Nat- How fun to have family pictures taken. I love to use our family pictures on our Christmas cards. Great job on the run, it is always nice when the body responds to the mind.

Well this weekend was all about relaxation for us. My youngest had a sleep over at a friends house so my older one enjoyed being a only child again for a day. Exercise is going well. PT has been cut down to once a week to see how respond and I am up to exercising four times a week, elliptical twice a week and walking twice a week, with 5 minutes of running at the end. So still going slow. I am hoping to do the annual turkey trot we do each year, but I will be walking it this year.
    Hope everyone else is well.
    Heather

Quick post to say that I'm going to run now. I'm laaaaazy today so thought if I posted this, I'd really have to go do it

Back to report a nice 7k cruise. Thanks for the virtual support!

More later.
    Last edited by Natasha; 11-14-2012 at 04:09 PM.

hi everyone!
    thanks for all your good wishes for my race- the weather was gorgeous and perfect as was my race. i cannot believe that i ran so strong! smiling and enjoying just about all 26.2 miles (there was a bit at mile 23 that i was ready to be done) dh (sean) and i crossed the finish together i was told to not have a goal time but that i should finish under 5- i ran a 4:36 on my watch 4:39 official time

here's a pic of les and i with our marathon medals- his tenth my first and dh who took the pic had just run his fifth.

Name:  obx marathon 015.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  4.3 KB
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by hrk View Post
    I am hoping to do the annual turkey trot we do each year, but I will be walking it this year.
    Hope everyone else is well.
    Heather
    where do you do your turkey trot? there is one near me in great seneca but we are going to friends for thanksgiving and i'm not supposed to run so hard yet but still might enjoy a nice easy run-

good news on the pt front- hope your knee keeps on healing and getting better!!
    Cheryl

Cheryl, congratulations!!! I had forgotten/didn't know you were running it with your DH. How fun for both of you! Love the photo. You both look wonderful and so healthy Thanks for the update. So glad you enjoyed almost all of it, too. How are you feeling now? What do your students think? I'd say that medal is jazzy enough to show off.

Vicci, I've heard of Patchett's books but never read them. Must be good if you reread them!

Heather, thanks for checking in. Sounds like you are keeping busy physically and taking it a bit easy before basketball season - perfect combination of busy/not busy. Cute about your son enjoying being an "only child" for a little while. That's nice that you can still do the Turkey Trot. Will any of your family join you as they did for the Color Run?

Les, how are you feeling? Have you had your first post-marathon run yet (not that I'm rushing you - I can totally understand why you wouldn't have yet!).

Carrie, how's the cat (and all of you, of course)?

Hi to MinEaston, Robyn, and everyone else! How's Susan doing these days? Probably travelling

Heather - glad to hear that you're making progress on your PT and it sounds like you're getting stronger all the time. That's great. I'm still trying to come up with an image about the service my father and I did for you that may make sense to you.
    Vicci - Instead of crust I would think gluten free bread mix or even Udi's gluten free bread rounds would be a good base for pizza. It's odd how early it gets dark - even with the change on the clocks it seems to get dark more than an hour earlier than it did in past weeks.
    Nat - good run. I can't wait to see the pictures of the family.
    Cheryl - thanks for sharing the picture. That is a good time in the marathon too.

I'm back from about a day and a half at the retreat center. It was dreary all day yesterday - raining then drizzly. It was nice to get away for a while and to help refocus myself. It was a little difficult though - very recently one of my father's colleagues (a Roman Catholic Priest) was abruptly removed from his parish -- it's a difficult thing to describe since dad is Episcopal but he's in a pastoral relationship with the parish in question.

I took my first post race run today - way too busy over the past couple days and being on retreat with the remainder of the priests from our diocese it wouldn't be good to go away from my compatriots for a run. Tonight's run was a 4 miler through the neighborhood. Felt good to run and it sets me in a good place for the remainder of the week leading up to Thanksgiving.

Happy trails,
    Les

Les, welcome back from the retreat center. Busy week for you! Sorry to hear about your father's colleague though.

Good job on that first post-race run. Great that it felt so good.

Today I went for a beautiful hike and had a decent spin. Good thing, too, because I've got something decadent baking

Hi to everyone else!