Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: running and riding buddies for november 2012

Quick dash in - a long end of the weekend but all is well. I got my first post marathon long run in this morning. A little longer than expected but almost 12 miles in. A good run all around.

Bed calls,
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Visit my new ministry site: St. John's Episcopal church, Suffolk VA.

12 miles already, Les? Impressive. How do you feel today?

Since I last posted I've run twice (4 miles on Friday and about 5.7 miles today), and had one spin, followed by weights.
    And some walks... brilliant few days of weather we're having!

How is everyone else doing?
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Cheryl, congrats on finishing your marathon! Nice photo of you and Les and The Medals. Did you take it in to show your class?

Les, 12 miles just a week after your marathon? Impressive!

Nat, we are also having several days of nice weather. Nice that you were able to use a spin and a hike to negate some of those baking calories!

I got in a 3 mile run this afternoon, and Spooky came along for about .27 miles of it (then he came home, ate a ton of food, and slept for 5 hours!).

After the run, DH and I walked the perimeter of our 50 acres and posted No Hunting signs. It probably won't do anything, they seem to sneak in at dawn. Did I mention that I found a nice thermal shirt in the woods while running last week? Some (illegal) hunter obviously took it off and left is beside my running path. It's mine, now!

Hope that you all have had a nice weekend!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Vicci-
    wow that must be scary to have hunters on your property. Great job on your run and glad you had company part of the way.

Cheryl- Great picture and congrats on your finish. So are you going to do another one? When we are in town we do the turkey trot put on my the Y on Old Georgetown Rd. We usually do the 2 mile fun run since my family does it with me.

Nat- Great job on the runs. We are heading to California, to my parents house for Thanksgiving, and we are doing a 5K Turkey Day Dash there that DH and I did last year. The boys are signed up so they will probably join us as well. Trying to get my mom to do it with us, since I have to walk it but we will see.

Les- wow already back up to 12 miles, no time off huh?

Well the boys have a school wide feast tomorrow where all the students and staff eat together, which I volunteered to help with, and then we are off to California for the rest of the week. I hope everyone has a great week and if you are celebrating, have a happy Thanksgiving.
    Heather

I missed making the caveat for the 12 miler - our average pace was something between 14 and 15 minutes/mile. It was a very nice run - leisurely enough that I didn't get warmed up enough to shed clothes until about 5 or 6 miles.

Heather, I hope you have a good trip to California and I hope your Turkey Trot goes nicely.

Vicci - that would be a little unnerving to find hunter stuff on your property. Good that you had a running partner for a portion of your run - how did Spooky take the run (even considering he slept for 5 hours - that's not unheard of for a cat)?

Good runs Nat - how have things with Mr. J been? How's DH "coping" with the wee one? I doubt he'll have too many problems in earnest.

I picked up my Thanksgiving Monday run today. It was a bit brisk but not bad. But the winds were gusty and challenging so I took a new route. I was able to pick up 4.5 miles this evening and it felt good - about normal for a Monday run.

Any plans for Thursday? We're hosting 12 for dinner (the first time ever). It'll be a bit interesting. Happy trails,
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Heather have a safe and wonderful trip! I remember your doing the turkey trot out west from last year, and it's so cool that it can now become a tradition. Take it easy on your leg, and have a great time.

Les, so how are the preparations for Thanksgiving dinner going? I don't suppose that you will get out for any kind of a run on that particular day, though, but I'm figuring that you'll make up for it somehow. I love it when Spooky comes out for a "run" with me. He doesn't do it a lot any more, but when he does it's a special time. He was very tired, but the afternoon exertion did not keep him from waking me at 1:30am for some face-rubs...

I got in a very quick 2-miles today. Much less than I would have liked, but all that there was time for! I've been crawling around underneath holly bushes to clean out accumulated leaves, then carting the leaves out to the field, so I'm amazed that my back held up for the 2 miles (then a trip to the grocery store!).

I'm planning my very own 5k turkey trot for Thursday. It will be just the two of us for the celebratory dinner, but DH talked me into buying a 20-pound turkey so I'll have lots of time after it goes into the oven for getting out for a run!
    Vicci

Vicci - considering the stress level for Thanksgiving (not me mind you) is rising quickly I won't have a group run (my usual for Thanksgiving) but will try to get something once I get the turkey on the grill.

You got talked into a 20 pound turkey? That is a huge turkey; how many are you having for dinner - just 2? How much does Spooky get? For a 20 pounder you will have plenty of time to crawl 5 k.

I've consumed the Kool-aid... the first item coming from our house is prepared. I made a flourless baked chocolate mousse cake (CL Nov). It will be decadent.

That's about it... see you tomorrow,
    Les

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bake...0400000124443/

Hi everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving!

Vicci, enjoy your personal Turkey Trot with cat companion, and the 20-pound turkey with all the sides. Guess lots of scrumptious leftovers are coming soon!

Heather, hope you are all having fun out West, and enjoy the Turkey Trot.

Carrie, hope you also have a good race!

Les, that cake looks good. I read the Nov. CL last night and made a note of a couple of things for the to-try pile. The previous night, I read the Oct. CL and jotted down a few other things. Both were from the library. Thanks for asking about Mr. J. He is wonderful. Something new and cute every day. Definitely keeps DH and me on our toes!

Since I last posted I've gotten in two spins, weights, a 3.5 mile run and a few walks. Today is the last day of incredible weather so I must take advantage with a good long walk.

Hi to Cheryl, MinEaston, Robyn, and everyone else!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!

Les I'm wondering how your Thanksgiving went, and how is LW feeling?

Nat, like you, I went out for an extended time today because it's also our last "nice day". *whine* Probably my last jacket-less run of the year?? I got in a 2k for Turkey Day. And did some chores, like scooping leaves out of the pond, which is definitely preferable to do when the snow isn't flying...
    About 2 miles in, my right ankle started to give me problems. This isn't the first time and, in fact, I think that it has happened on every run for the past month or so. I need to buy an ankle support and, if I remember to do that, I will then have to remember to actually wear it!

The 20-pound turkey turned out great, and there are many leftovers to enjoy. I made gluten-free cornbread, and a cornbread, sausage, apple, and wild rice stuffing that was pretty good. Also found gf gingersnaps so made a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. I really should try to get out for a run tomorrow before the rain starts!
    Vicci

I'm glad your Thanksgiving went well Vicci. One thing to look at for a pumpkin pie/cheese cake is to use nuts (pecans are good) as the crust. I'm sorry about your ankle and hope you can get it straightened out.

Kath is doing okay, better today than yesterday. She's still having issues with her leg and getting around but she's learning how to pace herself and better use crutches.

For those who hadn't heard - Kathy has a level 4 spiral fracture of her left fibula. She suffered it as she slipped at the bottom of 3 steps while trying to turn on the concrete floor. She's got a significant splint on her left ankle from the tip of her toes to just below her knee. She'll be evaluated to schedule surgery on Monday looking at the end of the week or the following week.

Thanksgiving was a blast and the cake is great. Vicci - you can eat the cake because there is no gluten in it (just substitute sugar or cocoa for the flour on the springform pan). Barbecuing the turkey was great and the brine was easy.

I'm beat so I'll sign off now and chat tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Les

Les, ouch! Poor LW!! I know that a spiral fracture is when the leg (or whatever) twists, then the bone breaks, and that sounds just so horrible. But you still had Thanksgiving?! Awesome effort!
    And I loved flourless chocolate cakes even before knowing about my gluten sensitivity-- hey, chocolate, butter, and cream? How couldn't it be good?! The pumpkin cheesecake was pretty wonderful, and I did add walnuts to the gf gingersnap crust so it was extra delicious.
    And, is it my imagination (or am I just noticing), but are there many, many more options available for gluten-free foods now than even when you were diagnosed a couple of years ago?

Leftover Turkey Meal #1 is on the stove, turkey rice soup made with leftover stock from last winter. I'm saving that huge carcass to make stock tomorrow when the temps are to be the coldest we've had so far this season.
    Vicci

Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving!

Les, you already know this, but I'm so sorry to hear about LW. Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed that the surgery isn't too far away. Glad, though, that your meal was a big success. I may have to make that cake.

Vicci, your dinner sounds amazing too (and the start of the leftovers!). How's your ankle today?

Day off training today, save for core and weights. I'm heading out shortly for the evening (ladies' night out).

What's everyone up to this weekend?

Back-to-backs. Beautiful day here for Christmas decorating, baking, and of course lots of playing with the little guy(s) - the pup wants to be part of the action too

Also a brilliant day for a run. Just finished a 5-miler.

How is everyone else doing? Recovering from Thanksgiving meals and Turkey Trotting? Looking forward to hearing about your Turkey Trots, whether they were organized or just events for 2 (e.g., Vicci and Spooky ).

Les, what's the latest with LW?

Vicci - that's exactly what happened with LW, she was turning at the bottom of the steps when her foot slipped in her slipper and her ankle popped. I didn't actually pull off Thanksgiving alone - my mom and dad, sister and her boyfriend helped with some of the cooking and washing dishes. In addition, one of the other invitees was a Navy cook and helped prep and cook for a portion of the time and serve desserts. The beauty of my family is "the crowd" were more than happy to chip in and even offered Wednesday evening. It couldn't have been better really. There are a lot of gluten free items in the stores if you are okay paying the "organic prices." That's where I count myself somewhat blessed because mine is simply wheat and not all gluten.

Nat - how was ladies night out? One thing to remember about the cake is smaller pieces are actually better than larger. LW is doing better - finding out how to pace herself and we're getting better at strategically placing items around the house for her. Good job on a 5 miler.

We did a "shorter" group run this morning. Just a touch under 11 miles. It was very windy and blustery which made 42 degrees feel even colder. But a nice run none the less.

Not too many leftovers except for a bunch of turkey stock. I think I'll "enlist" LW to pick the carcass clean so we can have meat to go in the turkey soup.

Happy trails all,
    Les

Wow, Les, what a crew you had to help prepare the feast! Sounds fun, actually, since for years I have been doing it by myself.
    Tell Kathy that I said hi. I broke my ankle in the same way-- a turn at the bottom of the stairs, in one of those backless clog-style slippers... I guess that I was fortunate to suffer only a simple fracture. And good luck with the doctor appointment.
    Good that you also were able to get out for a run, but it sounds like it was a chilly one. So, what is preferable? The 80- degree-and-humid run. or the 40-degree-and-windy run???

Nat, ladies' night out sounds like fun. As does Christmas decorating with both the boy and the pup.
    How was the weather for your 5-miler today? It's been a tad on the chilly side, here.

DH has had a terrible cold since Wednesday, and it's just starting to get better now. And, in spite of the Lysol fumes permeating the air and a huge bottle of hand sanitizer on the table for constant use, I seem to have picked it up. It's at the beginning stages, the stuffed head and constantly-running nose, and I hope that it doesn't go further down into my chest. We were planning a trip to DE from Wednesday through Sunday to look at houses. I've written the woman who owns the condo we were planning to stay at and asked if we could postpone for a week if we aren't better in the next day or two. We shall see what she says.

The end of a long holiday weekend (for most of us), and I hope that you all had a great one!
    Vicci

I seem to remember your broken ankle and didn't realize that it was the same thing that Kathy did. She is doing better and we're definitely ready for the real healing process to begin.

I love my family for so many reasons and the way we have so much fun at holidays is one of them. Never a dull moment when they're here.

Honestly, 40 and breezy is better than 80 and humid. I can always put extra wind breaking layers on. The worst part with the cold was towards the end of the run when I had started to break a sweat - it got a bit chilly running into the wind.

Long, disconnected day and early morning getting Kathy to her 0815 appointment (have to be 15 minutes early and it may take a bit of time to get in so...) - have a great end of the weekend and happy trails,
    Les

Les- I am so sorry to hear about LW, I hope that you are able to get her surgery scheduled quickly and that she has an easy time healing. I know what a pain leg injuries can be. I am glad to hear you had so much help for Thanksgiving and had a great holiday nonetheless.

Nat- Great job on the workouts. This is Mr J's first holiday season isn't it? How exciting it will be.

Vicci- I can't believe you made a 20 pound turkey for just you and DH, that is a ton of leftovers. I hope that you are able to kick your cold quickly and have a nice trip to DE when you are able to go.

Well the trip to LA was great, it was in the 80 the whole week so what a break from home. My mom and I spent all day Wednesday making the desserts: a traditional pumpkin pie, a pumpkin spice cake with maple pecan glaze, which DS#1 helped make, and an apple pie cake- same idea as an apple pie except you use a crumb crust instead of pastry. Thursday morning we did our Turkey trot. My mother and father did it with us this year along with my two boys, so it was a whole family affair, and I was really proud that my mom crossed the finish line with us at 57:25, which is amazing for her since this was her first 5K ever.
    The rest of Thursday was cooking and a wonderful meal with my grandfather and my uncle as well. Friday was rest day and my kids got to go in my parents pool it was so warm. Saturday got a work out in on the elliptical.
    Now it is back to three weeks of crazy until winter break.
    Happy Monday all.
    Heather

Heather, welcome back! Sounds like a perfect trip. All those desserts, the family Turkey Trot (congratulations to your mother!), the family meal, and swimming for your sons.

Yes, it'll be Mr. J's first holiday season. Crazy how fast this year is going! Finally sifting through all the photos

Vicci, hope you and DH feel better soon and can delay your trip. Good luck house hunting, when you go!

Les, thanks for the LW update. How was the early morning appointment?

I did a spin yesterday and today ran 4 miles although really I wanted to sip coffee instead of run. It's a hibernating sort of day. It wasn't a particularly fun run but I've had several inspired ones lately and know there are days like this. Still, 4 healthy miles is 4 healthy miles and I did have my coffee afterwards Making chicken and dumplings now, and pulled a pan of espresso gingerbread out of the oven not long ago. I also got back in touch with a friend from France from way back when so that totally made my morning. Social media can be useful!

How is everyone else doing?

hi everyone and a belated happy thanksgiving!

les- again so sorry to hear about lw but glad to hear she's managing- tons and tons of healing thoughts to her
    and so glad you had tday dinner- good support family and friends you have

vicci- i did take my medal in- and well, kinda scary about hunters that close to you

heather- i ran the turkey burnoff 10 miles thru the montgomery county road runners- i heard of several peeps who did the one you do- and yes i'll do another- right now thinking about savannah although im also working on a 50 miler soon- la! how fab!

here's a pic from my turkey burnoff- drastic weather change- it was cold(in the 30's and very blustery)

Name:  481715_4995924180204_1243280685_n[1].jpg
Views: 82
Size:  3.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cheryl

Heather - glad you had a great time in California and that's great about your parents in the 5k. I hope the coming three weeks aren't as bad as I bet they can be.
    Nat - I love being able to reconnect using social media. The distance doesn't make a difference except with the clock time. You're right, 4 miles is good. I hope your chicken and dumplings turned out well and that you had fun hibernating a little.
    Cheryl - 50 miler - you are a studette. I know what you mean about the weather change on Saturday. Glad you made 10 miles in those conditions.

Starting with my run. Like Nat - it's 3.75 miles in the bank. But I'd like to claim quite a bit pushing LW around the hospital, up and down the ramps in the hospital and parking garage. I've done a lot of cooking these days - burning up leftovers and just cooking for a lot of fun.

Answering Nat's question... This morning's appointment went mostly well. On the home front she's physically getting more stamina and better skilled with her crutches. On the other hand she is having more difficulty with cramps in her calf, made worse by the fact she can't walk it off.

Medically it was a tough day. They had to adjust her splint - the swelling had gone down enough that her foot position was off. We spent 6 hours in the hospital and got the straight skinny from the orthopedic surgeon. She's scheduled for surgery next Thursday (at least not this week - that would be a sucky birthday present). The surgeon said she'd be off her foot for at least 2 months depending on how the procedure goes.

The surgeon confirmed that she has osteoporosis and that the screws will probably be the best thing for her based on that condition. So, 10 days for surgery and at least 8 weeks of initial recovery. But there's more definition which is a good thing.

It's going to be an interesting new year.
    Time to do some other things before falling asleep... Happy trails,
    Les

Les- I am sure it helps to have a little clearer path, but so sorry to hear about the long road ahead for LW. Will she be in a walking cast after the surgery or will she be off it completely for two months? Hope that LW has a nice birthday this week.

Cheryl- Are you training for the JFK 50? We have several friends who have done it, they say it is quite the race. There was a piece in the Washington Post about a writer who trained for it and ran it this year, it was very interesting to read. I was glad we did our Turkey Trot in LA this year, can't beat 70 degrees and dry for a race.

Nat- Great job on the run and all that cooking sounds wonderful.

Well I did 2.5 miles yesterday with 5 1/2 minutes of running, so right now just slowly moving forward. PT this morning wants to move me to every other week and see how the leg does so I will get a little free time back.
    Happy Tuesday.
    Heather

Heather, how fun that your parents ran with you (and family) in the Turkey Trot! It sounds as though you have a very nice (and filling) Thanksgiving. And "three weeks of crazy"??? Whatever could you be talking about?!?!

Cheryl a 50-miler? I bow to you... Nice photo of your turkey run but, what, no beak and fan-tail costume??

Les, so what's planned for Kathy's birthday? And nice that you were able to get in a run in addition to the additional duties that you now have.

I forgot, Nat, that Mr J was born a couple of weeks after Christmas last year so this IS his first. It's nice that he's a bit older and can appreciate the decorations and festivities more than he would have even when a few months younger.

Very little physical activity here, still recovering from a nasty cold (DH still is coughing a lot, but I think that he has bronchitis). So far, no asthma symptoms (knock on wood), and I am just so glad of that! We have delayed our trip to DE until next week, the realtor rescheduled the house showings, and both of us should be recovered by then. Fingers crossed!!!

Oh, and DH finally hit his saturation point on turkey leftovers-- I don't think that I'll have any trouble talking him into a smaller one next Thanksgiving!!!
    Vicci

Reported Sparrow

Heather, yay for the extra free time! I can imagine that there's not much of that so gaining a bit is precious. That's great too that you have been able to increase your running time. I've been there and know how frustrating it is to not ramp up as quickly as you'd like, but you ARE getting there

Les, hope LW had as good a birthday as she good in the circumstances!

Vicci, that's good that you could delay your trip, and that there are no asthma symptoms (knock on wood).

Cheryl, 50 miles? Way to go! I have even shied away from 50k to date, so my hat's off to you

I figured out why my last run was so blah. I came down with a little cold that night. It's not been a bad one at all so far (again, knock on wood! Vicci, I am superstitious too ). I am probably 90-95% today, and had a good 4.5 mile run and did a lot of core. I also went to see Skyfall with Mr. J (it was the mom and baby matinee. Other people can go, but it's mostly moms and babies, which is neat). Not the biggest Bond fan but it was a lot of fun. Really nice day all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    Les, hope LW had as good a birthday as she good in the circumstances!
    If only you knew what was going to happen today before you posted this. Kathy's birthday was about as low key as they come. Then there was the day after... when (short story ahead since it's almost 1 am) Kathy developed a life threatening condition - a pulmonary embolism resting on the saddle of her pulmonary artery. She's been admitted to the ICU at Portsmouth Naval Hospital here and is resting quietly - but will be in the hospital for a while. It's going to be a busy couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    I figured out why my last run was so blah. I came down with a little cold that night. It's not been a bad one at all so far (again, knock on wood! Vicci, I am superstitious too ). I am probably 90-95% today, and had a good 4.5 mile run and did a lot of core. I also went to see Skyfall with Mr. J (it was the mom and baby matinee. Other people can go, but it's mostly moms and babies, which is neat). Not the biggest Bond fan but it was a lot of fun. Really nice day all around.
    I hope you aren't coming down with something terrible. I think your mom and baby matinee sounds like a wonderful idea. Bed time and getting ready for a new month and a saner week.

Happy trails,
    Les