Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 67

Thread: Congrats to President Obama on 4 more years!!! ...

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    587
    Lower and middle class????????? Really!!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Heading WEST!!
    Posts
    15,356
    If you believe in a god, then you have no control, which is why you may be angry...you have no control.
    If you don't believe in a god, then you do the best you can while you are here.
    Forces of nature and global warming can certainly put a quick end to life as we know it, but no one goes about planning to be a relic.
    Fight the good fight; help as many as you can doing the right thing without only thinking of yourself....and let the chips fall where they may.
    If you believe you have no control, maybe living by the bible is also pointless since..well..you have no control.....
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    587
    I do believe in God. And God is always written in UPPER CASE, not lower.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,237
    Quote Originally Posted by VALERIEA234 View Post
    I do believe in God. And God is always written in UPPER CASE, not lower.
    Actually, when the word god is used to refer to the concept of a god the word is not capitalized. When referring to God as a proper name for the specific god being worshiped (in your case, I suspect, the Christian god, called God) it should be capitalized. So, in the way Wallycat used the word god, she is correct in not capitalizing the word.

    And, frankly, you are one to speak of proper capitalization. In your previous post you randomly capitalize the word vote and you quote the wrongly all capitalized phrase every day of the week but refer to no specific place you are quoting so I can only assume the quotes are used for emphasis which is grammatically incorrect as well.

    Throwing stones from a glass house does not get you far.


    "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw


  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    587
    Touche!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Near my friends.
    Posts
    8,943
    You're my kind of girl, Gladys.......My kind of girl! LOL
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Northern Michigan--waaay northern
    Posts
    2,369
    Quote Originally Posted by VALERIEA234 View Post
    FORGET the congrats, I do hope you enjoy seeing him on the TV "EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK" for the next
    4 years...
    NO ! I did not Vote for him!!!!!!
    Sweetie, I'd be happy if he was sitting in my living room EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

    Here's the thing that some of you are going to need to find a way to deal with: There are MILLIONS of people in this country who do not believe in what or in the way you do. There are such a beautiful variety of people. Some are Chrisitian, some are atheist, some are gay. Some are middle-class, and some lower (it's an economic descriptor, you know). Some of us have families, some are blissfully solitary. Deal with it. To stay relevant, the Republican party simply must learn to become inclusive of a wider world-view. You cannot stay in the party of the past and move this country into the future. It's not just a country for certain Christians.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,347
    Congrats to our President and all of his supporters. I was not one of them but to see the passion that lead to a huge voter turn out was really wonderful. People are more energized about politics and willing to vote! So much better than the complete voter apathy seen in some elections.

    I was very glad to see so many of the marriage equality measures passing.

    Hoping the next four years can be a time where the parties can come together to get things done.

    And let's hope the extremists can fade into the background so we can all concentrate on the issues which should be under government control instead of wasting time and resources. Last time I checked there was still a separation of church and state. May that continue.

    And, best of all, may robocalls and campaign ads be seen no more!!!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,940
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsooner73 View Post
    Maybe she thought the OP was calling republicans "mad men"?
    That's what I was thinking.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Baja Manitoba
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post

    Here's the thing that some of you are going to need to find a way to deal with: There are MILLIONS of people in this country who do not believe in what or in the way you do. There are such a beautiful variety of people. Some are Chrisitian, some are atheist, some are gay. Some are middle-class, and some lower (it's an economic descriptor, you know). Some of us have families, some are blissfully solitary. Deal with it. To stay relevant, the Republican party simply must learn to become inclusive of a wider world-view. You cannot stay in the party of the past and move this country into the future. It's not just a country for certain Christians.
    This.

    If the Republican Party can't find a way to include more young, urban, minority voters, they will not be able to elect another president. You simply can't elect a president on the basis of the white rural southern and Midwestern vote anymore - there are too many other people out there.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,940
    Texas, a state with a whopping 38 electoral votes could become a blue state in the not too distant future due to its growing Latino population. It would be wise for the GOP to at least talk about real inclusiveness.

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    Texas, a state with a whopping 38 electoral votes could become a blue state in the not too distant future due to its growing Latino population. It would be wise for the GOP to at least talk about real inclusiveness.
    This is more important than one may imagine and Obama was on top of it in '08. When we were in New Mexico, just before the '08 elections, there were tons of Obama banners, signs, etc that said "Obamanos" ( a play on vamanos - let's go). I thought that was such great, and effective, targeted advertising to the largely hispanic voting block in New Mexico.
    This time he ran TV ads with him speaking in Spanish. (He may have done that last time too, but we didn't watch enough TV on that visit to New Mexico to ever see one.)

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,194
    I don't get involved in political discussions, but am happy with the outcome.

    On a side note, both my boys were happy Pres. Obama was reelected so they can see his ESPN NCAA basketball bracket for another 4 years.

  14. #44
    The Democrats were out in the demographic wilderness for several decades when the old Roosevelt coalition of Southern Dixiecrats and blue collar ethnics in the North and industrial states were coaxed away with Nixon's Southern Strategy - later refined by Lee Atwater and Karl Rove.

    ETA - I am struck by the use of "bitter" in terms of the results of the election. If one's candidate is not elected one can feel sad, depressed, worried about the implications for policy but "bitter" goes beyond that in terms of having feeling "cheated" in some way or treated badly.

    I confess that I did feel more than usual regret when the Supreme Court stole the election in 2000 but that had a lot to do with what it meant in terms of such a highly politicized Supreme Court overriding the political majority (Gore had the national popular vote and probably the popular vote in Florida) than a normal political loss.

    I don't think there is anyone claiming that the Republicans were "robbed" of victory.
    Last edited by amarante; 11-08-2012 at 07:46 AM.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,237
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
    Congrats to our President and all of his supporters. I was not one of them but to see the passion that lead to a huge voter turn out was really wonderful. People are more energized about politics and willing to vote! So much better than the complete voter apathy seen in some elections.

    I was very glad to see so many of the marriage equality measures passing.

    Hoping the next four years can be a time where the parties can come together to get things done.

    And let's hope the extremists can fade into the background so we can all concentrate on the issues which should be under government control instead of wasting time and resources. Last time I checked there was still a separation of church and state. May that continue.

    And, best of all, may robocalls and campaign ads be seen no more!!!
    Christy, thank you for the the thoughtful and well said post. It very well mirrors what I am hoping happens to politics in this country. In fact here is my post from Tuesday night on FB "Dear Fellow Americans: Yes, my candidate won. Yes, I have cried tears of relief. But the real relief will come when both sides come together to work towards a better nation and a better future for my friends, my family (especially my little nephew) and me. Neither party has all of the answers and really the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Let us find the courage to work together and move forward."

    I truly hope that those in power see that to make this nation what it can be we absolutely will need to come together.


    "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw


  16. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    587
    If he does as much as he has in the past 4 years, goooood luck with your win!
    v.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,237
    Quote Originally Posted by VALERIEA234 View Post
    If he does as much as he has in the past 4 years, goooood luck with your win!
    v.
    Do you understand that a huge part of the reason why very little got done was due to the Republican controlled Congress purposefully refusing to work with Obama and the Democrats in an effort to block his re-election?


    "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw


  18. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,347
    To the bitter posters: Get over it and move on. Or at least, kindly, take it somewhere else.

    The election is over. We all voted and voiced our opinion. The other guy won. Such is life in a Democracy. Handle losing with the grace you would have liked to see from the Democratic supporters had the situation been reversed.

    Now is not the time for a continuation of the hatred and snide comments. Now is the time to figure out how to make things better over the next 4 years. And that includes working with everyone who was elected.

    The hatred does nothing positive for anyone or any effort.

  19. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Do you understand that a huge part of the reason why very little got done was due to the Republican controlled Congress purposefully refusing to work with Obama and the Democrats in an effort to block his re-election?
    And besides being intentionally handicapped by Republican leadership whose stated GOAL was to create a stalemate and block his election, he did accomplish quite a bit.

    Of course more could have been done. I am at a loss as to how any Republican can support a tax cut which raises the deficit. Alternatively, how can one support a tax plan that enables the very rich to pay a disproportionately lower rate of taxes than the middle class or the working poor? How is this fiscal conservatism?

    1) Killed Osama which has more than symbolic value as it also hurt Al Quaeda

    2) Passed Affordable Health Care

    3) Passed the 2009 Stimulus Act

    4) Passed Wall Street Reform Act (unfortunately not as strong as many would have wished for)

    5) Turned around auto industry enabling it to add more than 100,000 jobs since 2009

    6) Repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell

    7) appointed two excellent Supreme Court Justices

    8) Expanded Pell - eliminated private banks from student loan program

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Columbus, OH USA
    Posts
    5,258
    There is a very good op piece in my local paper. It's is from Thomas Friedman. (And actually Froma Harrop's piece is well thought out as well.) It really sums up what is wrong with the Republican party. To paraphase him he starts out with how Sen Mitch McConnell said it was their number one priority to make Pres. Obama a one term president. (And goes on to say ... how'd that work for ya?) Is this the kind of representation you want to have as an American citizen? That with the all the problems here and abroad this is what motivates the republicans. He goes on to make great points, like some of the posters here do, that America is changing and we better get our focus on the bullseye. Education, imigration, wars, taxes all of it needs addressed and we better come together and get it done. The era of the old white guys making all the decisions is over.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Northern Michigan--waaay northern
    Posts
    2,369
    Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    There is a very good op piece in my local paper. It's is from Thomas Friedman. (And actually Froma Harrop's piece is well thought out as well.) It really sums up what is wrong with the Republican party. To paraphase him he starts out with how Sen Mitch McConnell said it was their number one priority to make Pres. Obama a one term president. (And goes on to say ... how'd that work for ya?) Is this the kind of representation you want to have as an American citizen? That with the all the problems here and abroad this is what motivates the republicans. He goes on to make great points, like some of the posters here do, that America is changing and we better get our focus on the bullseye. Education, imigration, wars, taxes all of it needs addressed and we better come together and get it done. The era of the old white guys making all the decisions is over.
    I read the Friedman piece. Very good. So far, my favorite distillation has come from Rachel Maddow. Please take the time to view it, as I think she articulates the issue well. The clip sets up the final few minutes beautifully, so see it through.

    It's funny that this is an almost universal reaction to the right's denial of what has happened. Question is, who will be brave enough to listen?
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    There is a very good op piece in my local paper. It's is from Thomas Friedman. (And actually Froma Harrop's piece is well thought out as well.) It really sums up what is wrong with the Republican party. To paraphase him he starts out with how Sen Mitch McConnell said it was their number one priority to make Pres. Obama a one term president. (And goes on to say ... how'd that work for ya?) Is this the kind of representation you want to have as an American citizen? That with the all the problems here and abroad this is what motivates the republicans. He goes on to make great points, like some of the posters here do, that America is changing and we better get our focus on the bullseye. Education, imigration, wars, taxes all of it needs addressed and we better come together and get it done. The era of the old white guys making all the decisions is over.

    Don't know her political stance, but hopefully she'd be a major improvement over McConnell.

    Ashley Judd may run against Mitch McConnell in 2014

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Ozone Park, NY
    Posts
    2,675
    What strikes me in this thread is that neither Valerie nor Joyce can come up with more than one-liners about luck and God. And getting upset over something that was probably totally misunderstood. Everyone else is trying to make reasonable arguments without insulting anyone...

    Also, may I ask you, Joyce, what makes you think the end of the world is near? Are you going by the Mayan calendar, which would not be very Christian of you at all, or are you assuming you know the will of God? I was always taught that it is pure blasphemy to assume we know anything about what God is planning or thinking. Do you have some insight you might care to share with us? Should I start my Christmas shopping?

    If there is a Goddess/God, I think she would like Obama very much, as he is doing his best to make sure people are treated fairly and with compassion, and enforcing justice when needed. Other than that, religion has no place in politics.

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,320
    I just wanted to say what an interesting experience it has been to be in a different country during the U.S. presidential election. I have met many international students while I've been here, and the election has been a huge topic of discussion. I did not stay up to watch the election (would have had to stay up all night), but I checked online first thing the next day. I was shocked that so many of the international students stayed up to watch the election! That really emphasized to me the impact that my country's president has on the entire world. In fact, one friend from the UK said that he wished he could vote in the U.S. presidential election because what goes on in our country affects him too. This may all seem kind of obvious, but to be here and have discussions with people from all over the world who know so much about American politics, has been such an incredible experience. I also found it interesting that all of the international students and Glaswegian folk that I spoke to about the election hoped Obama would win.

    I read over a newspaper article today about Obama's victory when I was in the grocery store that made some ugly statements about America becoming a "Godless" nation... I have no idea about the reputation of that specific newspaper, but I thought those statements were somewhat disgusting.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Near my friends.
    Posts
    8,943
    I feel this way, that the quote was an insult, because you are saying that millions of people (including myself)are 50 years behind in their way of thinking. You all can't be all right and those millions of people wrong. And I am sorry I couldn't get to this more quickly. I had to work, all day today.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    3,353
    Jmarie, our country has changed and continues to change. The Republican party is still stuck in the 50s/60s.

    Matthew Dowd appeared on The View yesterday. Here's the video. I hope it helps make things clearer for you.

    Political analyst Matthew Dowd talks to the ladies about growing changes in American voters.

  27. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    I feel this way, that the quote was an insult, because you are saying that millions of people (including myself)are 50 years behind in their way of thinking. You all can't be all right and those millions of people wrong. And I am sorry I couldn't get to this more quickly. I had to work, all day today.
    Along with Angelina I'm curious as to why you think "the world's end is most likely coming soon"?

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,145
    I usually don't post much on my opinions about politics but I somehow felt compelled to do so this afternoon. I hope my direct opinion doesn't offend too many people - after all, it is just my opinion.

    I was in Spanish class when the first announcement of the election results was made - before our polls closed! Half the class are heritage speakers and half are gringos/as. Most of us started crying with relief. I find it incredibly scary that one man has the potential (not the right, the potential) to shove women’s rights issues back into the dark ages. And to dismantle ‘universal’ health care that has been so long coming. And to dismantle FEMA that has been there for the East coast this go-round with Sandy and other natural disasters exacerbated by the effects of global warming. I hope we aren’t going to have another 4 years of gridlock and please do tax the rich. Trickle down economics does not work - unless you consider the rich getting richer and the middle class heading towards extinction to be positive.
    Anne

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    San Ramon, CA
    Posts
    12,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post
    I don't get involved in political discussions, but am happy with the outcome.

    On a side note, both my boys were happy Pres. Obama was reelected so they can see his ESPN NCAA basketball bracket for another 4 years.
    My mother pointed out that at least Maila and Sasha won't need to transfer school yet and go back to IL. I don't think 4 more years will get them though HS in DC though
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    San Ramon, CA
    Posts
    12,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Do you understand that a huge part of the reason why very little got done was due to the Republican controlled Congress purposefully refusing to work with Obama and the Democrats in an effort to block his re-election?
    Robyn - I agree with you. Here was my facebook post election night

    Now that the Tea Party/Republican party was unable to prevent Obama from being a one-term president, maybe they will decide to work for the best interests of the country for the next 4 years. It would be so nice to actually accomplish something for the nation instead of impeding everything.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •