Community Message Boards
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Congrats to President Obama on 4 more years!!! ...

There are Republicans who have not associated with the Tea Party, and I do have hope that they will reach across the aisle to accomplish things. Our state's current GOP senator refused to affiliate with the Tea Party, and he has announced his intention to work with our newly elected Democratic senator for the good of our state. Moderation will get us a lot farther than extremism.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    Robyn - I agree with you. Here was my facebook post election night

Now that the Tea Party/Republican party was unable to prevent Obama from being a one-term president, maybe they will decide to work for the best interests of the country for the next 4 years. It would be so nice to actually accomplish something for the nation instead of impeding everything.
    I'll add what I posted as well (thought the first part wasn't my words, I shared what a friend shared.)

From a wise friend:
    "Let's all tell our elected officials to do what we expect of our school children: COOPERATE! Play nice! Work together! Do the right thing. We need to remind them that they work for us...and we need them to be productive. Together!" Thank you, @wise friend.

And I'll add: One person didn't get us to where we are, and one person won't get us out. It'll take cooperation and collaboration from ALL sides. If your elected officials refuse to to cooperate, vote them out!
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    I feel this way, that the quote was an insult, because you are saying that millions of people (including myself)are 50 years behind in their way of thinking. You all can't be all right and those millions of people wrong. And I am sorry I couldn't get to this more quickly. I had to work, all day today.
    Jmarie, you mean well, but the logic just doesn't follow. If your thought pattern is correct, then there are MORE millions of people who are Muslims...does that trump your values simply because there are MORE people who think they are right?
    And similarly, one can say that athiests or agnostics are insulted every time someone with a religious agenda wants to foist their beliefs on that group.

The reason this country is great is BECAUSE we can believe and practice as we wish. The REASON our country came to be was NOT to mix religion and politics and to have the freedoms we hold so dearly.
    Reading some of these threads gives clear evidence why that was a great idea
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

If I lived in the states, I'd vote for Obama. I'll just leave it at that.

Congrats Obama!

This is an excellent piece written by a Republican who gets it.

Some great lines ... this is one of my favorites: It's not that you didn't get your message out, it's that we all actually heard it and threw up a little in our mouths.

A Proud American

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post

Some great lines ... this is one of my favorites: It's not that you didn't get your message out, it's that we all actually heard it and threw up a little in our mouths.

A Proud American
    Thanks for sharing this. It summed up so much of how I was feeling this past election. I enjoyed every word he had to say.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post

A Proud American
    I loved this. I posted it on my FB page. I have quite a few moderate republican friends who voted for Obama. Parts of this piece hit the nail on the head as to why. It really resonated with several of them, as it did me. Thank you for posting.

One of my favorites-
    "But you, the right wing base of the party, who drove so many of us moderate republicans out the door years ago, were the main catalyst. Your inability to reason, compromise, or let new facts and evidence challenge your predetermined outcomes led millions of moderates to no longer be able to stand on stage with you."
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson