Community Message Boards

Thread: hosting decisions?

hosting decisions?

I am hosting the 'snacks after church' this Sunday. The crowd is usually between 50 and 100. I have only done the suppers and breakfasts before so this is a new one for me. Following is a rough outline of some of the things I might make - help/advice/suggestions are very welcome...

Quick breads - 4 loaves each
    Pumpkin, no nuts
    Banana, no nuts
    Fruit and nut

Regular bread 2 loaves each
    plain
    seed and herb

cheese and crackers - may try some of the leaf patterns for the cheese around the rim of the dish - probably 3 -4 types of cheese and ditto for crackers

dips/spreads - humus, spinach or chard, crab, olive tapenade - may smoke a couple salmon fillets

raw veges

fruit of some sort

And I was thinking about doing a hugh batch of smoothies - probably blueberry-banana

tortilla chips and salsa

I almost always overdo it but this summer when we had our annual fresh salmon party at home the addition of 16 unexpected but very welcome guests had me scrambling. Does this look like enough to 'feed' 100? its supposed to be coffee +, not a real breakfast or brunch.

Thanks.
    Anne

I can't imagine doing smoothies for 50-100, how would you do that logistically?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

What time is your service?

My sister's church has a spread after every service.... usually a lovely display similar to the one you are planning but then someone brings a ham or a crockpot of something like chili. It just keeps the celebration going. Wondering if a modest breakfast casserole. mini quiches would make a nice brunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I can't imagine doing smoothies for 50-100, how would you do that logistically?
    Probably 3 gallons of milk, 12 quarts of yoghurt, a couple bunches of frozen bananas, 1 or 2 pkgs frozen strawberries or blueberries, a couple large stock pots and a stick blender. Blend the fruit and a bit of milk first then add the rest which mix easily. Transfer from stock pots to punch bowl as needed.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Even though it's not supposed to be breakfast there will be people who will treat it as such. I'd make more of the quick breads and slice them yourself, if you can. The rest of it sounds very good. I can't imagine feeding that many people; good for you for doing it!

I take it you'll have crackers or other thin breads for the dips and spreads. The salmon sounds wonderful!
    I've been enjoying the fruits of labor from other folks for a couple months - its payback time. I'm going to buy the crackers - great idea on the thin breads, I think Costco has some good ones.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    What time is your service?

My sister's church has a spread after every service.... usually a lovely display similar to the one you are planning but then someone brings a ham or a crockpot of something like chili. It just keeps the celebration going. Wondering if a modest breakfast casserole. mini quiches would make a nice brunch.
    Service starts at 11 so I have lots of morning time to finish things off. I've thought about a breakfast casserol but not sure I want to go that far. Some folks have just brought Costco cuisine, some sandwiches, some mostly cookies and bars so the basic spread has been all over the map.
    Last edited by Anne; 11-08-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Service starts at 11 so I have lots of morning time to finish things off. I've thought about a breakfast casserol but not sure I want to go that far. Some folks have just brought Costco cuisine, some sandwiches, some mostly cookies and bars so the basic spread has been all over the map.
    You have studied your congregation's offerings so know what you want to balance and it is dinner time when you start your social hour. What about this kept on warm in crockpot, served with nachos:
    Chili con Queso
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 T bacon grease
    1 8 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies, washed and deseeded
    1 T flour
    1 lb. Velveeta cheese
    1 lb. Cheddar cheese
    1 T chili powder
    dash of Worcestershire sauce
    dash of Tabasco sauce
    Saute onion and garlic in bacon grease.
    Add tomatoes and green chilies, reserving part of liquid. Make a paste with flour and juice of tomatoes and chilies and thicken the onion mixture.
    Add cubed cheese and desired seasonings.
    Simmer over low heat.
    Serve with tortilla chips.
    Yield: 12

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    You have studied your congregation's offerings so know what you want to balance and it is dinner time when you start your social hour. What about this kept on warm in crockpot, served with nachos:
    Chili con Queso
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 T bacon grease
    1 8 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies, washed and deseeded
    1 T flour
    1 lb. Velveeta cheese
    1 lb. Cheddar cheese
    1 T chili powder
    dash of Worcestershire sauce
    dash of Tabasco sauce
    Saute onion and garlic in bacon grease.
    Add tomatoes and green chilies, reserving part of liquid. Make a paste with flour and juice of tomatoes and chilies and thicken the onion mixture.
    Add cubed cheese and desired seasonings.
    Simmer over low heat.
    Serve with tortilla chips.
    Yield: 12
    This looks great, except for the velveeta. One question - I don't understand this (1 8 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies, washed and deseeded) is it a left over from using fresh? I still haven't decided if I am going to do some type of casserol or just go with breads, cheese, fruit.
    Anne

I admire you - that's a lot of effort!

The only thing that occurs to me is about the smoothies. I think strawberry would be more popular than blueberry. Also, blueberries stain everything they touch; it would be easier to work with strawberries.

I like the idea of queso for the chips. I bet that would be wildly popular, especially with the young.

I think strawberries be easier too but there are a lot of strawberry allergies out there and I haven't heard of many blueberry allergies. Also, consider the local, in Alaska blueberries are a lot bigger part of our diet than strawberries are.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    This looks great, except for the velveeta. One question - I don't understand this (1 8 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies, washed and deseeded) is it a left over from using fresh? I still haven't decided if I am going to do some type of casserol or just go with breads, cheese, fruit.
    I haven't thought about this recipe for a long time
    I think the ingredient is describing the canned product, not what you need to do. I wouldn't begin to separate everything and wash and deseed.