Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does an opened container of coconut milk last?

How long does an opened container of coconut milk last?

Just wondering -- I have some in my fridge and would like to use it up before it gets icky. Thanks!
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

Well, I've kept it for 3-4 days and it was okay but I usually pour it in a ziplock and toss it in the freezer.
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

I put mine in the freezer too, Em. I usually put it in one of those smaller gladware or tupperware type containers.

Did not know that it was freezable (well, that it would be any good afterward, that is). Into the freezer it goes, then -- thanks a lot!
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

emilycat - thanks for asking this question. I end up too often with a partial can of coconut milk left in my 'fridge, then throw it out 'cause I can't remember how long it's been there! Nice to know I can put it in the freezer.

I've made coconut milk and frozen it as well. I don't know about you but I find the taste of Lite Coconut Milk a little odd. I took a class on Vietnamese Cooking and the woman suggested a different way to reduce the calories. Substitute skim or 1% milk for half of the coconut milk suggested by the recipe and use regular coconut milk for the other half. The taste is much, much closer to regular coconut milk. It isn't as low in fat as Lite though. A Taste of Thai Lite is 45 calories and 4g of fat for 1/3 cup. Chaokoh (my favorite brand) Coconut Milk is 150 calories and 14g of fat for 1/3 cup. But you really make it up in flavor.

Care

A May CL reader letter asked this same question, and the answer was that it could be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a month (that's light coconut milk - not sure if it would be different for regular). IMO, that's a bit scary.

i had some in a rubbermaid in the fridge for a few weeks - when i went to toss it the other day, it had gelatinized (is that even a word?) it all fell out of the container in one big chunk (like unmolding a jello ring!) i tasted it (it still smelled yummy), but it was very sour! i guess you'll know it's bad when it gets to this stage...

Are you sure about storage for a month? I had a partial can which I put into rubbermaid and it was spoiled (moldy) in about 10 days although it wasn't "lite". I'll have to try the freezer method since I can't stand to waste anything.
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

Originally posted by BosunsWife
    Are you sure about storage for a month? I had a partial can which I put into rubbermaid and it was spoiled (moldy) in about 10 days although it wasn't "lite". I'll have to try the freezer method since I can't stand to waste anything.
    BosunsWife,

That's what the response to the CL letter said, but like I said, that scares me. I'd be afraid to use leftover coconut milk that had been in the fridge for a month.