Community Message Boards

Thread: Dip for Thanksgiving

Dip for Thanksgiving

I am going to a potluck and was asked to bring veggies and dip as an appetizer. I'm going to attempt to make the platter look something like this TurkeyVeggiePlatter and am looking for a good dip to bring as well.

Any suggestions?
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Very cute!
    I don’t have a recipe to suggest but if you have a Costco near you I would suggest the Artichoke Jalapeño dip that they sell. Can’t miss it this time of year. Usually there is a massive display dedicated to this dip. And don’t let the jalapeño scare you if you are afraid of spicy, my mom is a big wimp and she can eat this dip and loves it!
    Where are you going to put the dip? In one of the pumpkins?

Have fun, looks like a fun project.
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

You are brave! I'm so hopelessly uncoordinated it's not even funny.
    Anyhow, I would want something sort of thin and bright in flavor, so either something with spinach or perhaps even this awesome Green Goddess dressing. Sneezles provided me with a wonderful blue cheese dressing/dip that would be excellent, but I think that for a TG appetizer I would want to keep it a little lighter on the cheese....
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Vinca View Post
    Where are you going to put the dip? In one of the pumpkins?
    Yes, the dip will go in one of the pumpkins (or into a bell pepper if I can't find small pumpkins

Canice - I'm not sure I can pull it off...but its worth a try. If I fail, I will still have the veggies for the tray...just not displayed as cute

Hah, good point! And I do like Ina's suggestion of "big blocks of color" for antipasto platters. BTW, I just remembered that I have a roasted red pepper dip that I made the other night with various leftovers (jarred red peppers, cream cheese, chevre, balsamic, red pepper flakes) that has lots of flavor and would work well with raw veggies and in a pumpkin.

If you have time and want to post the dip recipe, I'm open to it. I have a block of cream cheese that I should use up before it goes bad

I looked around for a recipe, but there was just an approximation of roasted red bell, cream cheese, chevre, plain Green yogurt, a splash of balsamic, a pinch of red pepper flakes, a little milk. Sweet and tangy!

I make a turkey cheese spread. I have the worst time figuring out how to post pictures here so am sending you to my Picturetrail
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gid401281

I'm Back! Broccoli Dip

Here's a neat veggie-full dip from Sodium Girl's blog: http://www.sodiumgirl.com/im-back-br.../#comment-9060

LOW-SODIUM BROCCOLI DIP (copied from blog post above)

serves 4, makes 2 cups of dip

Ingredients
    ■1 bushel broccoli or broccolini (about .5 lbs in weigh or 1 cup chopped up)
    ■1 cup FAGE Greek Yogurt
    ■2 tablespoons dried onion granules
    ■2 teaspoons dried dill
    ■1/2 teaspoon dried garlic granules (or garlic powder)
    ■Pinch of cayenne, smoked paprika, or red chili pepper flakes (as desired)

Directions

The hardest part of the recipe happens at the very beginning of it: you have to steam your broccoli. Well, I guess you don’t have to but I think it will taste better if the greens get cooked. At least for a bit. So you can either fill a pot with a little water, put in a steam basket, put in the broccoli (stems and tree tops), put on a lid, and steam for 5 to 8 minutes over medium heat. Or, if you use a microwave, you can use one of the nifty plastic steamers and set the clock for 4 minutes. Either way, after heating, let the broccoli cool for 15 minutes minimum and then chop everything up into a fine dice.

Now it gets really easy. In a small bowl, simply mix the broccoli with all the other ingredients. Taste and add the cayenne, smoked paprika, and chili pepper flakes gradually and to your liking. Then place in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. And be sure to give guests credit or chips for dipping.

+ Sodium Count: Broccoli: 30mg per cup; Plain Greek yogurt:60mg per 6-ounce container, depending on brand

[QUOTE=heavy hedonist;1678988] And be sure to give guests credit or chips for dipping.

HH, I'm sorry, can't resist but I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm assuming that you don't mean guests get credit for eating vegetables? Maybe "crudites"?

The dip sounds awesome-sort of Ranch style with more fiber?

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

One Thanksgiving I made a roasted pepper dip and served it in colored bell peppers.

Roasted Pepper Dip

This is low-fat, but doesn’t taste it. Makes a great crudite served with carrot & celery sticks, sweet pepper strips, whole green beans, etc.

2 red or yellow bell peppers
    2-3 jalapenos (red, if possible)
    1 small onion, quartered
    3-4 cloves garlic (place on small piece of foil, drizzle with a little olive oil and wrap)
    8 ounce package light cream cheese (don’t use fat-free)
    3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (or to taste)
    coarse salt
    fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425°. Roast peppers, onion, and wrapped garlic on parchment-lined baking sheet for approximately 20 minutes or until peppers are blistered.

Place peppers in a small paper bag, close and let stand 15 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers; remove seeds. Puree peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro, and cream cheese in food processor. Season with coarse salt & fresh ground pepper to taste.

Both the broccoli and the red pepper dip look great.

Your cheese platter is very cute...but I have been asked to bring veggies and dip. I will file it away for another year

[QUOTE=patt;1678998]
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    And be sure to give guests credit or chips for dipping.

HH, I'm sorry, can't resist but I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm assuming that you don't mean guests get credit for eating vegetables? Maybe "crudites"?

The dip sounds awesome-sort of Ranch style with more fiber?

Patt
    Ha! It's not me, it's Sodium Girl. Although I usually clean up mistakes in things I re-post; I missed that one. I'm sure she meant crudite.

Meant to say that with the red pepper dip, I definitely prefer to use a fresh cream cheese rather than block.

I made both the broccoli and the red pepper dip. Both were very good. Thanks for the recommendations

My platter came out perfect...I'll try and post a picture later.

Hope everybody enjoyed their Thanksgiving!

My veggie platter - mom helped

Name:  veggie platter.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  5.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    Name:  veggie platter.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  5.1 KB
    How very cute. I'm lucky to get all the dishes on the table. Decorating like this would be way beyond me. I'll bet this wowed the guests.

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

Broccoli dip

What is the amount of bro boil used...surely not a BUSHEL?

Quote Originally Posted by Tutalady View Post
    What is the amount of bro boil used...surely not a BUSHEL?
    It was about a bunch or head of broccoli