Community Message Boards

Thread: Breaking the Fast

Breaking the Fast

Soon it will be Yom Kippur and some of us will be fasting. What do you guys cook for "break the fast" dinner? My BF and I are going over to my parents' house. I'm trying to think about what I might bring. I'm thinking about making the (extremely well-reviewed!) cinnamin apple cake for dessert. I made the honeyed apple torte for Rosh Hashana. I wanted to try both so I think I'll make the cinnamin apple cake this time. I'm just curious what you guys make for this meal.

We are actually having break fast at our place this year. I've only done this meal once before but I think I'm keeping it pretty basic since it is only for me and DH, my sister and her husband. Obviously dairy, here's a few things I think I'll be fixin': A large platter with bagels/cream cheese/lox/caper/cuke, tomato and onion slices all arranged on a platter, fruit salad, blintz souffle (my mom's recipe, it is soo good, and it puffs up), tuna salad, and I think i'll finally make the coffee cake from the Barefoot Contessa Parties cookbook. What's everyone else having? Maybe someone will motivate me to make something completely different.

we are going to my aunt's house (there will be about 8-10 of us), and it will probably be the standard break-the-fast fare: bagels/cream cheese/cheese platter, lox/whitefish/tuna, sliced tomatoes/cucumbers/onions, maybe scrambled eggs and/or some kind of kugel. dessert is usually some kind of light cake/bobka or rugala/fruit salad + coffee. on the rosh hashana thread i posted a yom kippur 'menu', but i think it's pretty much the same kind of stuff.

rinsav, i'd go for the cinnamon apple cake. it's very yummy, and a great way to end any meal!

marisa

Originally posted by mb
    standard break-the-fast fare: bagels/cream cheese/cheese platter, lox/whitefish/tuna, sliced tomatoes/cucumbers/onions, maybe scrambled eggs and/or some kind of kugel. dessert is usually some kind of light cake/bobka or rugala/fruit salad + coffee.
    I'm with you, Marisa! Unfortunately, we're going to my in-law's in New Hampshire this year, and their "tradition" is going to a Chinese restaurant!! I know Chinese restaurants are for Christmas dinner, but for break-the-fast? And, BTW, none of them fast, either!

we're having the usually bagels/bialys/cream cheese etc. my mom is also making homemade cheese blintzes. actually, i think she said she made them today, and will freeze them to have Thursday.

Break the fast

We're going to my in-laws house, and I'll probably make some of the things I made for Rosh Hashanah (which was at our house).

For Rosh Hashana I made:

Chicken Noodle Soup (from scratch, very proud of myself )
    Latkes (were pronounced amazing by my husbands uncle)
    Brisket (used the beer recipe but added about 1/4-1/2 cup of honey - was pronouced amazing by everyone, including my mother in law who said they taste exactly like old russian jewish granma's sweet-sour beef - yes, it's a compliment)
    various nuts and fruits and honey and olives on plates

I think I'll bring brisket (will hopefully try my sisters 9 hour recipe) and latkes ( I can make then ahead of time). Or maybe I'll try the gratin from October.

keeganm, could you post your mom's recipe for blintz souffle ? It sounds good and I'm sure others would love to see it, too.
    Thanks!

Sure, here it is:

Blintz Souffle

2 boxes frozen blintzes (blueberry or cheese are the best!)
    4 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    cup sugar
    tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 cup orange juice

Spray 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray. Place frozen blintzes in a single layer on bottom of pan. Beat the remaining ingredients all together until fluffy, pour over blintzes. Refrigerate uncovered overnight. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes uncovered until lightly browned. (They will puff up just like a souffle, then deflate, they look great).

Enjoy!

(Definitely not a light recipe, but Jewish holiday food rarely is, right?!)
    Last edited by keeganm; 09-24-2001 at 08:20 PM.

ralph, i never heard of going to a chinese restaurant for break-the-fast!!! but i guess if you're not fasting, thenit doesn't really matter what you eat for dinner! we always havebreakfast-y foods for break-the-fast; it's only fitting, right?

good luck eating chinese for dinner if you've been fasting all day. i'm sure you'll be fine! i just don't know that you'll be in the mood for chinese!!!

marisa

Originally posted by mb
    ralph, i never heard of going to a chinese restaurant for break-the-fast!!! but i guess if you're not fasting, thenit doesn't really matter what you eat for dinner! we always havebreakfast-y foods for break-the-fast; it's only fitting, right?

good luck eating chinese for dinner if you've been fasting all day. i'm sure you'll be fine! i just don't know that you'll be in the mood for chinese!!!

marisa
    Yes, I'm confused, too!!! I will be fasting, even though I'm not the most observant of Jews; none of them will! And you're right: I probably won't be in the mood for Chinese, but they're messing with tradition!!!!