Community Message Boards

Thread: Curried Butternut Squash Soup from Oct

Curried Butternut Squash Soup from Oct

I made this soup last night. It is very good! I used my pressure cooker and stick blender, which made it super fast. I used Maharajah curry which has saffron in it. I think I may add some cayenne or powdered chipotle to to the leftovers to spice it up a bit more. Served with a salad and some crusty bread, it makes a great fall meal.

Adding my thumbs up!

I made this tonight, and it's very good. Very creamy and warming. I will probably make this again, and the only change I'd make next time is to add more squash, and less apple. I like my soups thick, and love the butternut squash flavor enough that I'd increase it.

I agree- I though this was a good recipe, with different flavors. I added some jasmine rice into it to take for lunches.

DH did not like it at all....said the flavors were off, even though he typically likes curry.

I liked this soup, but it didn't blow me away. I think that if I made it again (which is a bit unlikely, since I have at least 15 other squash soup recipes I want to try ), I'd add more curry. I didn't enjoy it as much as the squash bisque from last year, which I loved.
    I served it with the rosemary-raisin rye bread, which I liked, but again, didn't amaze me. I think this one's my fault, though. I used fresh rosemary because I had it on hand, but it called for dry, and I think I may not have used enough. I also used all white whole wheat flour in place of the all-purpose, so it was a little denser than it would have been if I'd followed the recipe. I think I'll try this one again, though, since the rosemary flavor I love so much just didn't come through enough for me.
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

Fresh rosemary vs. dried

Hi Emily-
    Just read your post about the bread and wanted to let you know that I have found the exact same thing! It seems that dried herbs have a much more concentrated flavor and seem to be better when you are making a bread that requires a bit more flavor. I love fresh herbs, don't get me wrong, but in baking I tend to use the dried. Fresh are not only weaker when baked, but they sometimes give a more "grassy" taste to my breads.
    becca

Becca,
    Thanks so much for your input! I feel so much better now that a professional has weighed in.
    I think I'll definitely do it again, next time with the dried herbs.
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields