Community Message Boards

Thread: Crunchy Granola Recipe (by Chef Kathleen Daelemans)

Crunchy Granola Recipe (by Chef Kathleen Daelemans)

I just finished making a 1/2 batch of granola and I thought I would post the recipe. A big thanks to Hammster posting it a few years back. It is my go-to granola recipe. I always halve the recipe and definitely watch when dissolving the brown sugar in the microwave since (at least for me) it never takes that long to dissolve and you want to make sure it doesn't overflow in the cup. I often cut back on the sugar, sometimes the walnuts get a bit too toasted if I'm using small pieces, and often take out of the oven before the time is up.

I freeze some of it too -- since it takes awhile to go through since usually just use it to top my yogurt.

Crunchy Granola Recipe courtesy Kathleen Daelemans , Show: Cooking Thin

1 1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup water
    4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon salt
    8 cups rolled oats
    2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, or slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
    Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and reserve. Combine brown sugar and water in a 4-cup microwave proof glass measuring cup or bowl. Place in microwave on high for 5 minutes and cook until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from microwave, add vanilla extract and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, nuts, and brown sugar syrup mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Spread the granola onto cookie sheets and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden and crunchy.

When the mixture comes out of the oven, it is still very pliable. You may choose to add in dried fruit as a finishing touch at this time. When granola has cooled completely, store in an airtight container.

Nutritional Analysis per 1/2 cup serving:
    Calories 294 . Fat 10 g Saturated Fat 1 g
    Carbohydrates 45 g Fiber 4.6 g , protein 7.3 g
    Some other comments from the BB ......The recipe in the book only calls for 1 cup of brown sugar, all other ingredient quantities are the same. In a sidebar, it says, "Here's the skinny on this recipe: you can make it with 1 cup brown sugar and it won't be as clumpy or you can make it with up to 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and it will be clumpier. Manipulate the raw granola just before you put it in the oven by squeezing it together in your hands as you drop it onto the cookie sheets. The granola will clump together.

This is my favorite granola too. I'll vary the nuts and dried fruits to keep it different from time to time. I almost always add a good 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the brown sugar syrup too.

I need to make some more. I made a few batches in a row to go with homemade yogurt, and I think my family had enough of it for awhile. But now it's been long enough, they might be excited to smell granola baking again.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Sometimes instead of vanilla, I'll use almond extract. And instead of cinnamon I'll use Chinese 5 spice.

Thanks for the great ideas. Will definitely be trying adding some cinammon. And, subbing almond extract sounds like a nice change. I look forward to trying them.

And, Hammster thanks again for posting the recipe years back. It is one of my most frequently made recipes from the CLBB.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 12-03-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typos

Love this recipe. Have made it many times since I found it here on the boards. My oldest son adores this and would do pretty near anything for a batch. Thanks for the reminder. I think I will pop a batch in the oven now.

I've been making this granola 2-3 times per month for years now and we have even filled up 12 cup resealable containers and sent out as holiday gifts! Apple, I never have issues with the brown sugar and water mixture overflowing. I use a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup and it bubbles and simmers for the required five minutes to make a thick and gooey syrup. The ONE time I used non-cane sugar for the recipe it started foaming and boiled over. I think it was Market Pantry Brown Sugar. I read somewhere that if it doesn't specify cane sugar it is probably from sugar beets. I now will never use any brown sugar that is not specified cane sugar in my granola. I use two cups total, one cup light brown and one cup dark brown.

I regularly use Craisins in my granola and a few batches ago I used 2 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp of Penzeys Orange Extract to compliment the Craisins and it was really good! I've also used a mixture of vanilla and almond extracts.

The other main change I make to the recipe is spice. The original recipe calls for no real spice whatsoever, but I add 6 tsp of Vietnamese Cinnamon and 1 tsp of Apple Pie Spice. We like spice.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I am in good company --- lots of fans of that granola.

Jewel, hmmmm, maybe it doesn't help that I only use a 2-cup measuring cup. I've learned from experience, to watch the sugar in the microwave real carefully, to avoid a sugar volcano. I use Domino sugar.

This is the recipe I use for granola too. I use an 8 cup glass pyrex so I'm totally safe Using orange and craisins is an interesting idea! I might have to try that this winter.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

I don't use the microwave for this either, so there's no chance of boiling over like that. I just melt the sugar with the water, salt and cinnamon in a saucepan, and when it's smooth, take it off the heat and add the vanilla.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Jewel, hmmmm, maybe it doesn't help that I only use a 2-cup measuring cup. I've learned from experience, to watch the sugar in the microwave real carefully, to avoid a sugar volcano. I use Domino sugar.
    I checked online and Domino is cane sugar so that shouldn't be the issue, I just think your container is too small! I forgot I also decrease the oats from 8 to 7.5 cups and increased the sugar from 1.5 to 2 cups, so there is definitely a bit more syrup on the mixture to promote crunch and clumping. I have never had to watch that syrup boil in the 4 cup Pyrex, so that might be your best bet!

And the Orange Extract was really good... it only offers a hint of flavor, but to compliment the Craisins that's all you need. I wish Penzeys made Powdered Orange Peel like they do the Powdered Lemon Peel, I would use that in the oat mixture instead of the Orange extract! The Penzeys clerk told me it was just their dried peel that had been ground fine, so I might have to try pulverizing the dried orange peel in my spice grinder. Hmmmmm.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~