Community Message Boards

Thread: What do I do with Leftover Butternut Squash

Question What do I do with Leftover Butternut Squash

I made the Butternut Squash and Shallot Pasta from the 10/01 issue (which was absolutely wonderful) and I ended up with a lot of leftover squash. Since it was my first time using a Butternut Squash, I didn't know what size to buy for the recipe.

Does anyone have suggestions for some low-calories way to use the rest of my squach? I probably have around 6 cups left. I thought about making more of the topping from last night, but I don't know if you can freeze cooked squash and shallots with good results.

What about Butternut Squash Risotto?

Since you already have the squash cooked, you could skip the squash-prep steps in this recipe, and it would go together fast! We love this risotto. I can eat it for a main dish, but my hubby prefers it alongside a pork or chicken dish.

Also, you don't need as much butter as this calls for, IMHO.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
    1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1 3/4 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup water
    1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
    1 large garlic clove, sliced thin
    1 1/4 teaspoons minced peeled fresh gingerroot
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 cup Arborio or long-grain rice
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Garnish: chopped fresh chives and Parmesan curls shaved with a vegetable peeler from a 1/4-pound piece of Parmesan at room temperature

Preheat oven to 450F.

Halve squash lengthwise and discard seeds. Peel one half and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Put remaining half, cut side down, in an oiled shallow baking pan with diced squash and season with salt and pepper. Bake squash in middle of oven, stirring diced squash occasionally, until tender and browned lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Holding halved squash in a kitchen towel, scoop out flesh and chop coarse.

In a saucepan bring broth and water to a simmer and keep at a bare simmer.

In another saucepan cook onion, garlic, and gingerroot in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Stir in rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Stir in 1/4 cup broth and cook, stirring constantly, and keeping at a simmer throughout, until absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding next, until about half of broth has been added. Stir in diced and chopped squash and continue simmering and adding broth in same manner until rice is tender and creamy-looking but still al dente, about 18 minutes. Stir in chives and salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon risotto into 2 shallow serving bowls and garnish with chives and Parmesan curls.

Serves 2.
    Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2

Mash your cooked butternut squash. Peel and dice an apple.
    Put the apple in a large glass measuring cup. Add some brown sugar, a dab of butter, a little water, raisins or craisin. Micro just until apples are done. Mix the microwaved into the mashed squash, stir well, reheat the whole casserole in the micro, and it makes a great side dish with pork or chicken!

To precook squash for mashing:
    Cut in half, discard seeds. Place in micro in a suitable OPEN container, cut side down. Cover with WAXED paper. Process on high for 10 minutes. Turn over the squash pieces, cover and process for another 10 minutes. Let squash cool a little, while you make the apple mixture, scoop out the cooked squash from the skin, and you are ready go from there!
    Curleytop

Last time I cooked butternut squash I cut it into chunks and steamed it. Then mixed/mashed it with margarine, cinnamon and nutmeg. Very good and easy.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

There's a really good sounding recipe for Butternut-Oatmeal Bread in both the Five Star Cookbook and the CL Complete Cookbook. (same recipe) Has anyone tried it? In the 5-Star it was an Editor's top choice recipe.

Originally posted by Kelli Kerrigan
    There's a really good sounding recipe for Butternut-Oatmeal Bread in both the Five Star Cookbook and the CL Complete Cookbook. (same recipe) Has anyone tried it? In the 5-Star it was an Editor's top choice recipe.
    If this is the bread I think it is then yes! It was very good, nice and moist too. I have made (long ago) a CL bread with this exact title. It is a 1989 recipe.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I saw this on Emeril the other day and although it is not light, it looks sooo good!

Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli With a Sage Brown Butter Sauce

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000

9 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons minced shallots
    1 cup roasted butternut squash puree
    Salt
    Freshly ground white pepper
    3 tablespoons heavy cream
    3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus 2 ounces
    Pinch nutmeg
    1 recipe pasta dough, rolled out into wide ribbons, about 1/4-inch thick (or won ton skins)
    12 fresh sage leaves
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
    In a large sauti pan, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the shallots and sauti for 1 minute. Add the squash puree and cook until the mixture is slightly dry, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cream and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons cheese and nutmeg, to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely.

Cut the pasta ribbons into 3-inch squares. Place 2 teaspoons of the filling in the center of each pasta square. Bring 1 corner of the square to the other, forming a triangle and seal the pasta completely. Add the pasta to pot of boiling salted water. Cook until al dente, about 2 to 3 minutes or until the pasta floats and is pale in color.

Remove the pasta from the water and drain well. Season the pasta with salt and pepper.

In a large sauti pan, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter. Add the sage to the butter and continue to cook until the butter starts to brown. Remove from the heat.

Place some of the pasta in the center of each serving plate. Spoon the butter sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle the 2 ounces of cheese over each plate and garnish with parsley.

Yield: 4 appetizer servings
    Prep Time: 25 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes

[B]
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine