Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I re-bake a cake?

Can I re-bake a cake?

I seem to be a terrible judge of when a cake is actually done. The toothpick test never seems to work for me - it always comes out clean as a whistle, even though the cake is raw in the center. Several times, I have pulled a cake out of the oven thinking it was done, and come back an hour later and realized that it wasn't done at all. Is there any reason I can't throw the cake back into the oven for a few minutes after that amount of time (or more)? I can't think of any reason I couldn't, but somehow I just always feel like maybe I'll make things worse if I do that. Anyone tried it?
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

I did this recently and it wasn't as good, but it wasn't a complete and total disaster either.

that is my two cents....

I wouldn't put it back in either because the part that is baked will now be way over baked.
    Are you really testing the center of the cake? I have always used the toothpick method but recently bought one of the metal testers. I have a special place to keep it since the toothpicks seemed to run off... Anyway, try testing in more than one spot if it comes clean the first time and I usually bake for the middle amount of baking time.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Just my two cents . . . if you have frequent problems with baked goods not being done at the end of the recommended cooking time, you might want to check your oven temperature with an oven thermometer. This happened to me a number of years ago . . . turns out the oven thermostat was going, and the temperature was off by 50 degrees. Just a thought.

Where you place you pans in the oven can change for cakes, breads, muffins, etc. I saw something recently that told you which rack to put it on. I can't remember off hand where I saw it, but if I come across it, I will post it. Perhaps someone else knows too.

HI, I just moved in with my boyfriend, and the first few things I made in the oven didn't turn out well at all. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, since they weren't "new" recipes. Turns out the oven temp is consistently off by 50 degrees! This makes a BIG difference, specially with baked goods. Maybe this is the problem for you, as well?

When I bake a cake (which isn't frequently) I usually use the "finger test" in addition to the toothpick test. Make a light indentation with your finger in the middle of the cake. If it remains the cake isn't done yet. If it pops back up, it probably is done. But, like I said, I'm not a very experienced cake baker.

It takes quite a bit of sensitivity, but I often try to detect the pressure with which the tester goes into the cake's center. With some cakes, it may even take a bit of moving the pick around while it's in there, but I can usually tell when poking straight into the cake simply by the pressure.

Funnybone, I think what you're referring to was a question on the CL website a few months back asking about which position in the oven was the "standard" one to use. They basically said to use the second slot from the bottom unless otherwise specified.
    Alicia

Yes, the bottom third of the oven is the standard rack position for most recipes, unless otherwise specified.