Community Message Boards

Thread: Getting Bundt cake out of the pan?

Getting Bundt cake out of the pan?

I am seriously considering making the rum-glazed banana cake for my book group. My problem is that I have never once been able to get a bundt cake out of the pan perfectly. This recipe just indicates to coat the pan with cooking spray, and I'm leery about this working.
    Can anyone give me any hints about this? Have you tried this particular cake and gotten it out of the pan with success?
    TIA

In the Cake Mix Doctor recipe book I recently purchase it said you should leave a bundt cake in the pan 20 minutes before trying to get it out. I have a Nordik star bundt pan that I've never been able to get out of the pan and leaving it in the 20 minutes didn't help either. However when I went back to one of my cheaper pans, it came right out. Try taking a spatula or object that won't scratch your pan and running it around as many edges as possible before trying to turn it out.

One more aspect besides greasing the pan well is not to allow the cake to cool completely before you try to unmold it. Cool it for a little while, of course, but try to unmold it while it is still somewhat warm. When the cake is completely cool, the cooking spray and the cake kind of solidify and restick. Hope that helps. Maybe others have some other ideas too.

Wink

I've always buttered and floured or buttered and sugared them..let them sit on a rack at least ten minutes..never had a problem. no, its not light, but then I dont stand there eating the crumbs that are stuck in the pain either, so that makes up for it
    Karen

One reason why I don't like bundt pans and always use my tube pan instead!
    A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat---Old New York Proverb

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him the entire weekend.---Zenna Schaffer

Never eat more than you can lift.---Miss Piggy

I never have problems getting cakes out of a bundt pan. I have a cheap non-stick pan and I spray it lightly. When the cake is done, I take it out, leave it on a rack for about 10 minutes. Oh, I take a butter knife and loosen the cake a bit around the edges. If the recipe say to invert, I do, if it doesn't, I don't. I really can't remember a time when a cake has stuck.

I have a microwave/oven Bundt pan that was one of my first kitchen purchases. It's a kind of hard plastic. I think I bought it because it was less expensive than the heavy metal ones, because I don't remember ever baking a cake in the microwave (convection/micro combo, ye, but that came much later and could use a metal pan). It is suposed to have a non-stick finish, but I always spray it (to get into all those cracks) and usually dust it with flour or cocoa (for chocolate cakes). I let it cool slightly, only a couple of minutes, while I close the oven, get the plate out...never more than 5. I usually take a knife and run it around the hole in the middle. Then I pick up the pan and and turn it almost onto it's side and jiggle it, the turn it and jiggle it agian until I have worked my way around the pan. That gives me an idea whether the cake is sticking anywhere or seems to jiggle easily. I see people picturing plattered cakes instead of ones that merely have chucnks out of them. Sounds harder than it is.

I do the same thing as Kjente2, and always have sugared the pan as well as spray and flour. I've rarely had a problem! I also agree with Grace that you have to invert the pan before the cake is completely cooled or the cooking spray will harden up again.

Something else I was taught was to drop the pan a few times on the counter from abut 2-3" up before baking. This removes air bubbles from the batter. If there are bubbles in the cake, especially towards the bottom, they can create a very uneven surface that can tear when trying to remove the cake!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I've never had a problem either. I make sure that it is properly greased, floured and that the pan sits for awhile and turn it over after 15-20 minutes. Jewel, I like your drop on the counter hint.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

While taking a cake class, the instructor said to listen to your cake. When your cake stops talking to you (making noises), you can remove it from the pan. You really can hear it cooling in the pan. Try it!

Thanks for all the ideas. I have some new things to try!
    My pan is a nice Williams & Sonoma pan -- maybe in this case I should have gone cheaper!

The only bundt cake I make regularly is a Midori cake, and I have never had a problem. I went and bought a sort of cheap pan at Service Merchandise just for this one cake. I usually use shortening/flour and then turn it over about 5 minutes out of the oven. Sometimes I'll just let it set upside down for another 5-10 minutes, then give it a little shake and it comes right out.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Originally posted by jjsooner73
    The only bundt cake I make regularly is a Midori cake, and I have never had a problem. I went and bought a sort of cheap pan at Service Merchandise just for this one cake. I usually use shortening/flour and then turn it over about 5 minutes out of the oven. Sometimes I'll just let it set upside down for another 5-10 minutes, then give it a little shake and it comes right out.
    jjsooner73, I'm intrigued....when you say Midori Cake, do you mean Midori like in melon liqeuor? If so, then I'm on my Cyber-Knees begging for that recipe!! Please?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Originally posted by Jewel

jjsooner73, I'm intrigued....when you say Midori Cake, do you mean Midori like in melon liqeuor? If so, then I'm on my Cyber-Knees begging for that recipe!! Please?
    Yes, that's the kind of Midori I mean. It is wonderful! I'll post the recipe when I get home tonight.

Warning--it is not low fat. It has a wonderful cream cheese frosting.

I am making one next week for an OU/Texas football watching party and am craving it now!
    Last edited by jjsooner73; 09-26-2001 at 03:45 PM.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

--Emerson

Midori Cake

OK, first a couple comments. Don't be thrown off by the cake mix in the recipe. Just don't tell who you are serving, and they'll never know! I promise!
    Also, the glaze makes way too much, so be careful not to drown your wonderful cake in it. My mom did that the first time and learned the hard way. It was more like icing with cake rather than cake with icing.
    Also--I've also made a chocolate-kahlua version of this, making the appropriate substitutions and it was great as well!
    Let me know what you think if you try it.

Cake
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1 3 oz box pistachio pudding Instant
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 cup Mazola oil
    3/4 cup Midori
    1/2 tsp. coconut flavoring

beat 4 minutes at medium speed Pour into well greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes. Cool for about 15 minutes in the pan, then turn onto cooling rack.

Glaze
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 cup Midori
    1/2 cup cream cheese
    2 TBS. butter
    1/2 tsp. coconut flavoring

Mix and beat at high speed until smooth and spreadable. Glaze while
    cake is still warm.
    Jennifer

--Abraham Lincoln

--Emerson

I usually use parchment paper, but obviously, you cannot do that with Bundt pans. I do not like cooking spray and would always advise against using butter or oil to coat. The best thing to do is to coat the pan with plain Crisco. It leaves no flavor and does not affect the browning. It's worked better than anything in my opinion for Bundt pans and waffle irons.