Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New cookbooks for Christmas?

New cookbooks for Christmas?

I did not see any other threads on this--hope I did not just miss them. I love hearing what cookbooks people get for Christmas, especially because I get good ideas that way! So far (we leave on the 27th for Christmas at my mom's house with my family) I have gotten:

Jerusalem (Ottolenghi)
    Burma (Duguid)
    Vegan Indian Cooking (Singla)
    Fat (McLagan)
    Williams Sonoma One Pot a Day
    Vietnamese Home Cooking (Phan)

Everyone else?
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Laura, your new volumes are soo international. I got:
    Eat more of what you love (Marlene Koch)
    Barefoot contessa foolproof
    Cake simple
    One dish at a time (Valerie bertinelli)--I actually kinda got this for DH for the photos!!. He ADORES!! Valerie!

And I'm typing on my new iPad mini DH felt like I needed.

Any reviews/recs would be most appreciated if you guys have any of these!
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

Bought myself Nigella Kitchen early this month as a bargain-find present!

E-book About Bulk Cooking With Friends. Make Enough Meals To Feed Your Family For 2 To 3 Months While Having A Great Time!

http://www.grandecooking.com

My dear M-i-L got me Bouchon and Ad Hoc at Home. I've drooled over them for a couple of years; this is the first time I've asked for them.

Michelle

I got Herbivoracious by Michael Natkin. Excited to try some new things since I've recently gotten into more vegetarian cooking. I might even do a month of being vegetarian for January.

Cooking Lights 2013 Annual.

I've moved away from cookbooks - plenty of good recipes in magazines and online - but I do like to get the Annual every year. Next weekend I'll sit down and start transferring my magazine notes into it and then I can pass along the magazines.
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

No cookbooks, but I did get the Key Ingredient Recipe reader, which comes with recipes, and a website similar to Pinterest, with 1,500,000 recipes (I think that's how many they said), and the ability to add more.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

DH got me two:

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
    Slow Cooker Revolution (by America's Test Kitchen)
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    No cookbooks, but I did get the Key Ingredient Recipe reader, which comes with recipes, and a website similar to Pinterest, with 1,500,000 recipes (I think that's how many they said), and the ability to add more.
    That should keep you busy for a while, Kay! Sounds like fun.

I've moved away from buying or asking for cookbooks as well, but enjoy reading about new ones so I can check some out at the library And who knows, one may come up that I must have. So thanks for the posts!
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie B View Post
    Laura, your new volumes are soo international. I got:
    Eat more of what you love (Marlene Koch)
    Barefoot contessa foolproof
    Cake simple
    One dish at a time (Valerie bertinelli)--I actually kinda got this for DH for the photos!!. He ADORES!! Valerie!

And I'm typing on my new iPad mini DH felt like I needed.

Any reviews/recs would be most appreciated if you guys have any of these!
    I love Cake Simple so much I forced myself to stop posting the recipes on my blog. After all, it is a pretty small book! Ask me and I will tell you if I have made that particular one.

In general I skew international, but also I have found that the good cook gets better baking books, so I often buy those for myself.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alissa.z View Post
    I got Herbivoracious by Michael Natkin. Excited to try some new things since I've recently gotten into more vegetarian cooking. I might even do a month of being vegetarian for January.
    Let me know what you like. I have been sitting on that book for quite a while but have yet to be inspired enough to make something. It is gorgeous though.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Varaile View Post
    Cooking Lights 2013 Annual.

I've moved away from cookbooks - plenty of good recipes in magazines and online - but I do like to get the Annual every year. Next weekend I'll sit down and start transferring my magazine notes into it and then I can pass along the magazines.
    I love reading cookbooks. Some of my favorite cookbooks I love as great food writing and have never made a single recipe from them nor do I care if I ever do.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    Please tell me what you think of Key Ingredient. I know some bloggers who contribute to it but just didn't really "get it" when I looked into it. Alas this happens to me a lot.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    I love reading cookbooks. Some of my favorite cookbooks I love as great food writing and have never made a single recipe from them nor do I care if I ever do.
    I love finding kindred souls! (My thoughts exactly.)
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Quote Originally Posted by KAnn View Post
    I love finding kindred souls! (My thoughts exactly.)
    Add another kindred soul to the group

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

My new books:

Splendid Soups - James Peterson
    Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book

Me too, though i think i have made some recipes from every book on my shelves.

No one is likely to buy me cookbooks, so I bought some during the Good Cook sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    No one is likely to buy me cookbooks, so I bought some during the Good Cook sale.
    LOL, same here Beth

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post
    DH got me two:

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
    Slow Cooker Revolution (by America's Test Kitchen)
    Let me know what you think of the Slow Cooker Revolution! I have their Healthy Family Favorites and really like it so have been thinking about getting this one as well.

I got one: Soup Makes the Meal by Ken Haedrich. It doesn't just have soups - for every soup recipe, there is a salad recipe and a bread recipe. I think I'll get a lot of use out of it. The soup recipes look good.

And I have a Barnes & Noble gift certificate to use up. I'm thinking of ordering: Fine Cooking Comfort Food.

I'm also interested in the Jerusalem cookbook. It's getting great reviews so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    My dear M-i-L got me Bouchon and Ad Hoc at Home. I've drooled over them for a couple of years; this is the first time I've asked for them.

Michelle
    Those are two of our most used ones. Some fabulous recipes in there!

I did not see any other threads on this--hope I did not just miss them. I love hearing what cookbooks people get for Christmas, especially because I get good ideas that way! So far (we leave on the 27th for Christmas at my mom's house with my family) I have gotten:

Jerusalem (Ottolenghi)
    Burma (Duguid)
    Vegan Indian Cooking (Singla)
    Fat (McLagan)
    Williams Sonoma One Pot a Day
    Vietnamese Home Cooking (Phan)

Everyone else?
    I gave Burma to my husband this year. Very much looking forward to him experimenting.

Please tell me what you think of Key Ingredient. I know some bloggers who contribute to it but just didn't really "get it" when I looked into it. Alas this happens to me a lot.
    I will -- I use Living Cookbook to store my recipes, so that part seems redundant, but having a reader in the kitchen might be nice, and having a smaller container to hold the recipes instead of the gigundous card holder I have now will be great! The test recipes I put in showed up on the reader, and they have apps for both iphone and Android!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

My goodness, lots of good books from Santa and family for the CLBB!

Laura, I'll definitely consult with you on Cake Simple prospects! The pre-Christmas mention of a red velvet cake in Cake Simple prompted me to put it on my Amazon wishlist and DH was happy to select something with the word "cake" in it for me!

Peachesncream, I have that Ken H book and like it a lot. His combos are nice and I mix and match a lot, as well. If you want to let me know if anything catches your eye, I'll see if I've tried it. (I also have his baking book and a maple syrup one.)
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

Kiss My Bundt (Wilson)
    A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen (Bishop)
    How To Cook Everything Vegetarian (Bittman)
    Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers (Leader)
    Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas and More (Nguyen)
    Seattle, Washington's Chef's Table: Extraordinary Recipes from the Emerald City (Fraioli)

Quote Originally Posted by peachesncream View Post
    I got one: Soup Makes the Meal by Ken Haedrich. It doesn't just have soups - for every soup recipe, there is a salad recipe and a bread recipe. I think I'll get a lot of use out of it. The soup recipes look good.
    Oh, I love this book! I don't think I've made a dud out of all the recipes. The push-button flatbread is our go-to focaccia recipe, and very easy.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

I received Michael Symon's Carnivore. I read a little and can't wait to try out some MEAT

I received Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop for Christmas. One little problem, it doesn't ship until February! Looks really awesome though. Meanwhile, my candy thermometer broke on my first batch of candy this year (not break as in mercury all over the candy, it just didn't read the temps), and DH innocently asked if they made books about how to make candy. I said I'm sure they do! I'll go check it out I've never looked at candy/confection books but now that's on the to do list
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields