Community Message Boards

Thread: Find: Non-hydrogenated Shortening

Find: Non-hydrogenated Shortening

I am sure a lot of you can understand that when I see in a recipe that it calls for shortening I don’t read any further. I absolutely refused to buy a can of Crisco. For that matter, I seriously try to avoid any product that contains any partially-hydrogenated oils.

However, I think I may have found a good solution. During my visit to Fresh Fields this weekend, I came across “Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening” - a big container of organic vegetable shortening that consists purely of 100% Organic mechanically pressed palm oil. It contains no hydrogenated oils. I know palm oil isn’t the best for you, but it is certainly better than Crisco.

Although I won’t use a ton of it, I think this could be a good product for those occasional CL recipes that call for shortening. Do any of you have experience with this product? Any thoughts?

For those who are interested, the nutritional information is as follows: 1 Tablespoon contained 110 calories – 13 g. fat – 6g Sat, 1 g. Polyunsaturated, 5 g. Monounsaturated, No Chol, Sodium, Carb. or Prot.

With all the debate, I seem to understand that saturated fat and trans-fat are equally as bad or "not beneficial." I would advise using shortening, butter, margarine, animal fats, and tropical oils (like palm and coconut) all in the exact same moderation.

shortening

I am with you. Those hydrogenated things scare me. However, I probably only use shortening a couple times a year. I am a label reader, too. Question: If total fat grams are 11, 3 sat. 4 mono. 2 poly. does that mean the rest ,2 gr. are trans-fatty? I have been trying to find the answer to this but noone seems to know. I believe that the trans fat will have to be listed within the next year or so. Vicky