Community Message Boards

Thread: Why?

Why?

Why are the spammers still joining if they apparently can't post?

Also, once banned, why do the spammers keep coming back?

Dear CLModerator, why won't someone answer my questions?

Why don't you contact CL directly instead of wasting your time hoping they'll see your posts on the board? Or better yet, why not just ignore these imaginary villians? They're not an issue for anyone except you.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Why don't you contact CL directly instead of wasting your time hoping they'll see your posts on the board? Or better yet, why not just ignore these imaginary villians? They're not an issue for anyone except you.
    I thought we already had this talk?

I'm curious ... have you received any reply from CL?

Hate to sound cynical, but $$$$? Perhaps spammers whose posts have been deleted still count for purposes of traffic count, which generates advertising revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Hate to sound cynical, but $$$$? Perhaps spammers whose posts have been deleted still count for purposes of traffic count, which generates advertising revenue.
    Beth, that is exactly what I was telling DH this morning. He even suggested CL themselves may be posing as the spammers, but I don't want to think that.

Charley, I have not heard a single thing from them. That is what is really getting my goat. Not only have I posted questions about the spammers and their blogging, but other questions that they will not/can not answer. We cannot get the new moderator to even tell us his/her name. Things are very strange. That is why I am having a hard time letting this all go. I also am tired of reading a bunch of jibber jabber every time I want to see who is on line or who's having a birthday.

The latest update

Currently Active Users

There are currently 870 users online. 96 members and 774 guests

Most users ever online was 2,271, 11-21-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    cookieee,
    amarante,
    ArrameFrarf,
    bagspvy,
    bartoombzox,
    boOtethenny,
    brookemPeak,
    Bruinyrub,
    Cixgoagma,
    ckwsgmnefmry,
    cleocat,
    cnoazzsjgmwc,
    CRICENEWKNOVE,
    dkjrsbygyxsh,
    dreamer101,
    dressbrawc,
    DupPoigotaigo,
    Dusplaups,
    eagabgfgctyy,
    edhnmuxfqo,
    ehobjman,
    embecaumsnuby,
    embickxegbbm,
    Feagginee,
    flaxiapah,
    Fuchemumpew,
    fvtutgodfdkl,
    goonalonelm,
    gshtxbgmhlel,
    Hoffilled,
    hothrursuib,
    hvxzidfmejsu,
    hztmmqotrpxk,
    ifeoqaqiuhyn,
    Jessnc,
    kathyhenn,
    kixqtqowitgv,
    Kmnagfakfdcj,
    kongascno407,
    kqzazpgpggcm,
    ktrurahiyrha,
    Love to Run,
    lslosdvxyysw,
    miotgcihfzlt,
    mkicobbbsijz,
    MuscusysoxHox,
    mxaqahnzmiqj,
    nafaextkqtdn,
    noodwfsjtwyq,
    oehavrrrgfth,
    OfficdiCZof,
    OptotteGofGah,
    oucgafrmnmew,
    oycwbgrtzxhp,
    patt,
    PeddreceEtesk,
    Peftheoff,
    philriggsbee212,
    pjetdveegiht,
    pletcherwlx,
    plhnmqmqmeqh,
    poifyifip,
    qstkljcqavaz,
    RaisaWeskjaCe,
    ritice8gr,
    StevenMildred,
    stzijvbltpvv,
    tedsdiext,
    teeenbllger,
    thxvvbozyfzp,
    ttuouhehbgjr,
    TulaoccullY,
    tuoxctgrw,
    Tutquilllef,
    tzifvktlhjcw,
    ugzxxesepeot,
    vajerskin,
    vammenieree,
    vllgyczlfjhr,
    vonbfjwlyeoe,
    wcgjtdfhlyrb,
    wdriimqhblfu,
    wmczwvpeepir,
    wmofskxlpffx,
    wxeeuabhpxqv,
    yinuprhrphia,
    ynvrnlllcjji,
    zcbyhhxicuzw,
    zlpfhcmkaavl

Today's Birthdays
    funnybone,
    Sunshine,
    pinedk,
    MKBG,
    francophila,
    PresRice (69),
    TeenySprings (61),
    maritab (60),
    CARSUCH (54),
    RaisaB (52),
    conniemann (52),
    landybelle (51),
    shufetish (48),
    bilnsam (46),
    SueS312 (45),
    1cents (44),
    stlouisan (44),
    MMTHOMP (42),
    sarahm31 (41),
    Bella (37),
    ggs830 (37),
    kristaB (34),
    JeanarthurA88E (25)

CookingLight.com Community Statistics

Threads:138,569Posts:1,645,764Members:230,080
    Welcome to our newest member, pletcherwlx
    Blogs:0Entries:0Last 24 Hours:0

Well, the member count is over 230 thousand, where are they, certainly not on the food forum

Oh for Pete's sake, Cookieee. Let it GO!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeK View Post
    Oh for Pete's sake, Cookieee. Let it GO!
    Please check your PM

Dear CL, I don't know what it all means,, but it looks like you are doing something about all the spammers we get here. THANK YOU !!!!!!!!! Let's hope it works.

Just added

Spam-O-Matic Statistics

36 Spammers Denied Registration

55 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

324 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

Does anyone know what this means? Does it mean deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    324 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

Does anyone know what this means? Does it mean deleted?
    Sweetie, I don't think anyone cares except you. You are persistent ... I'll give you that. I couldn't care less what statistics appear at the bottom of the page. Why do you?

OK Charley, I'll tell you. I may sound paranoid, but it bothers me that MEN from all over the WORLD have access to a lot of personal stuff on our threads. That may not be their sole purpose coming here but it is a side benefit. Who are these people? Why would men from Saudi Arabia want to join a cooking BB. And these people writing in a foreign language. What are they saying? You may not care, but I do. Does that answer your question?

You do realize this is the Web ... the wide world web. Anyone, anywhere, can read anything we write. They don't have to join or spam to do it. Lurking is all it takes. I guess you need to expand your paranoia to all of those unseen creatures.

Btw, what did you want to say to Dee behind the scenes that you couldn't say here?

I know what we say can be read without joining. Why are they joining? Who or what told them about our nice quiet little community?

Charley, what is with all of these questions? None of this has anything to do with you. You do not have to read anything that I post. On this forum or any other. If I am bugging you or anyone else, it is not my fault. Just put me on ignore if you want to.

If you are concerned as a friend, then I apoligize. Thank you

Btw, what did you want to say to Dee behind the scenes that you couldn't say here?
    Don't worry. It wasn't anything important. Cookieee apparently did not understand my previous post. I thought it was pretty clear so there won't be any further explanation forthcoming.

I do not do PMs. If I have something to say, it will be right out here in the open. That way there are no misunderstandings or misinterpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeK View Post
    Don't worry. It wasn't anything important. Cookieee apparently did not understand my previous post. I thought it was pretty clear so there won't be any further explanation forthcoming.

I do not do PMs. If I have something to say, it will be right out here in the open. That way there are no misunderstandings or misinterpretations.
    Well then Dee, if you don't do PM's, would you mind answering my PM to you here?

When I don't do PM's, I get accused of being too CHATTY. Can't win for loosing around here.

Never mind Dee, let's just drop the whole thing.

Okey dokey ----- I'm pretty sure you know exactly what my post meant anyway. It's pretty self-explanatory.

If not . . . well, what more can I say that hasn't already been said by everyone else.

Sweetie, I don't think anyone cares except you. You are persistent ... I'll give you that. I couldn't care less what statistics appear at the bottom of the page. Why do you?
    Haven't been here in a very long time, but I have to say this is the funniest thing ever! One is accused of being persistent and the other is persistent in the accusation. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    I know what we say can be read without joining. Why are they joining? Who or what told them about our nice quiet little community?

Charley, what is with all of these questions? None of this has anything to do with you. You do not have to read anything that I post. On this forum or any other. If I am bugging you or anyone else, it is not my fault. Just put me on ignore if you want to.

If you are concerned as a friend, then I apoligize. Thank you
    Like I said on your other thread, you're not "bugging me". To be perfectly honest, I find this "concern" of yours slightly entertaining. You're pretty much talking to yourself on these tech threads and no response has been forthcoming from CL.

Whitney from SL?

I'm not Whitney from any where except here. I have visited SL but the last time I visited it was very slow with few posters. Are you a member there?

Recently we installed vBulletin (same program that is used here) as a forum for our little web site. After a few weeks we started having spam problems. I can tell you from experience that it is amazing how little spam gets through on the CL BBs.

Most of the spammers are bots. They are not actual people registering on the board that will surf around and look at your "private" information. The accounts are created by programs and frequently use compromised computers (computers of innocent non-spammers that have been infected with a virus).

There are 2 ways in dealing with spammers. Prevent them from registering in the first place and scan posted messages to try to catch the spam and flag it so that legit users don't see it. There are some tools available to help manage the spammers. CL uses Spam-o-matic. If you click the link on the main forum page you can read all about how it works.

Dealing with spammers is a challenge. The goal is to prevent spammers from registering and posting while non preventing legitimate users from registering and posting.

At one point our little forum was getting almost 60 spam posts an hour. Luckily they were almost all caught by a spam filtering service and the posts moderated before any regular user saw them. As the admin/moderator I delete the messages and ban the users, which sends information to an anti-spam database so that in can learn and track spammers. I spend about 30 minutes a day dealing with and cleaning up spam.

What's the point of this long-winded message? Regular, legit users do not need to worry about spammers whether or not they might be getting your personal information. The spammers that make at registered users are most likely not actual people, they are bots/programs. CL is doing a great job at keeping the spammers at bay. Don't worry about it.
    http://www.pjrc.com

No matter how big or soft your bed is, you still have to get out of it.
    -Grace Slick, raucous rock diva

Robin, thank you VERY MUCH