Community Message Boards

Thread: Help -- how much is a serving of chicken thighs?

Help -- how much is a serving of chicken thighs?

I'm confused about all the chicken thigh recipes, especially from the May issue. I want to make thighs for 3 people, but can't figure it out. The one with Goat cheese calls for 14 oz. of meat, but serves 4 people. The one with Marsala also calls for 24 oz. and serves 4. The one with Garlic and Lime calls for 24 oz. of meat, but only serves 2. How can it be so different? How much do I need for my family of 3 meat eaters? I like to go by weight, as the pieces vary so much in size. What does a typical serving weigh?
    Last edited by ewatkins; 10-01-2001 at 01:10 PM.

I thought 4 oz (without bone) was a serving but now I'm not sure

Most recipes say two thighs per serving. DH usually eats three

JeAnne

Do some of the recipes call for boneless thighs and others for bone-in thighs? That might explain the weight and serving size discrepancies. I agree with JeAnne - 4 to 6 oz. of cooked meat is about one serving, depending on what else you're having.

The way I figure it -

If the chicken thighs are part of a full entree (i.e. the entree has rice or pasta or something else substantial) each servings should have less meat to it.

That being said, I also think that because the one with Goat cheese, has such a fattening ingrediants such as goat cheese, they had to reduce the calories and fat somewhere, so they used less chicken per person. CL has a tendancy to do that, to stay within the calories and fat percentage guidelines.

I would say though, to use 3-4 thighs a person, regardless of what the recipe says.

I make chicken thighs all the time. I marinate them and grill them. I also love the garlic chicken thigh recipe from CL. I always count on 3 to 4 thighs per person. I never use weight as an indicator. It's always worked out for me.