Community Message Boards

Thread: Superbowl Food

Superbowl Food

I saw an idea in the new issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine for a Superbowl appetizer. I thought it might be fun to have a thread about Superbowl food.

The appetizer is Individual Nachos.

Here's a link to the recipe and a photo:

http://www.marthastewart.com/960745/individual-nachos

Any other new ideas, or favorites?

Still contemplating a party, but, if it goes forward, this would be my menu.

Super Easy Super Bowl

I ripped the pages out of Bon Appetit and the photos are drool-worthy! It is a make it/buy it menu, too. I would make my own guacamole and brownies, though (and skip the lemon bars). Just because

This is certainly not healthy, but everyone has loved it when I made it.

Bacon Blue Cheese Toast

½ Cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
    4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled, at room temperature
    6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
    1 loaf French bread

Preheat Broiler.
    Combine the butter, blue cheese and bacon in a bowl.
    Cut the bread into slices 1/3 inch thick. Toast in the broiler on one side only.
    Spread the cheese and bacon mixture on the untoasted sides of the bread slices and broil until bubbly,1 to 2 minutes.

I made this ahead of time and toasted the one side of the bread then set aside. I also made the butter/cheese mixture then took it out of the refrigerator a couple of hours ahead of time to let it soften.

This artichoke bread looks amazing. Check out the photo here http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/01...oke-bread.html

Ingredients
    1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    2 green onions, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
    1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
    1 loaf Italian bread, sliced in half lengthwise

Directions
    1.Mix the artichoke hearts, green onions, garlic, cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano reserving some of the cheese.
    2.Hollow 1/2 an inch out of the center of both halves of the bread.
    3.Spread the mixture into the hole in the bread slices and top with the reserved cheese.
    4.Bake in a preheated 350F oven covered in foil for 20 minutes.
    5.Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and golden brown.

Hot Party Ham Sandwiches - they have a stick of butter in them, how bad can they be? http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/12/...-football.html

1 dozen Brown 'N Serve rolls
    1/2 lb sliced deli ham
    12 slices provolone cheese
    1/2 cup butter
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 Tbsp yellow mustard
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tbsp poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350.

Split each dinner roll. Make a sandwich of the ham and cheese and the dinner rolls. Arrange the sandwiches in a 9x13 pan.

In a small sauce pan combine butter, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire and poppy seeds. Bring to a boil and pour over sandwiches.

Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the tops are brown and crispy.

Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pulls - http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/07/...nch-pulls.html

1 unsliced loaf of (round is preferable) sourdough bread
    8-12 oz cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
    3 oz bag Oscar Mayer Real Bacon bits
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1 Tbsp Ranch dressing mix

Using a sharp bread knife cut the bread going both directions. Do not cut through the bottom crust. Place slices of cheese in between cuts. Sprinkle bacon bits on bread, making sure to get in between cuts. Mix together butter and Ranch dressing mix. Pour over bread. Wrap in foil the entire loaf in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Unwrap. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

or Jalapeno Popper Pulls http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/02/...per-pulls.html

1 16oz round sourdough loaf, unsliced

8 oz cream cheese softened
    2 Tbsp pickled jalapeño pepper juice
    1 tsp garlic powder

1/4 cup diced picked jalapeño peppers
    3 Tbsp bacon bits
    1 cup monterrey jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a sharp bread knife cut the bread going both directions. Do not cut through the bottom crust.

Mix together cream cheese, jalapeño pepper juice and garlic powder. Spread cream cheese mixture in between cuts. Sprinkle diced jalapeño peppers and bacon bits on bread, making sure to get in between cuts. Top bread with cheese, getting in between cuts.

Wrap in foil the entire loaf in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Unwrap (I just open the foil packet to expose the bread). Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Quote Originally Posted by peachesncream View Post
    I saw an idea in the new issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine for a Superbowl appetizer. I thought it might be fun to have a thread about Superbowl food.

The appetizer is Individual Nachos.
    This is one of those things that I say to myself, "How have I never thought of this before!?!?!" Thanks for posting!

I keep a pinterest board of "football food" ideas for entertaining during big games. Sometimes it's a bunch of people, and sometimes it is just DH and me. Not sure about the Superbowl yet, but am leading toward a big pot of this:

Buffalo Chicken Chowder

http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/11...n-chowder.html

And possibly these:

Sausage Stuffed Jalapenos

http://www.lowcarblayla.blogspot.com...jalapenos.html
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Wow, what a lot of great ideas. We don't do anything special for superbowl but these would work for a lot of different occasions.
    Anne

We're having a small gathering , and I don't know who's even playing! It's all about the unhealthy food. I plan on making White Castle sliders, chicken wings[if I can find them, I heard that there's a shortage because of the drought], and cheeseburger dip. I will also make a couple of pies-buttermilk and banana cream.
    Last edited by vbak; 01-25-2013 at 05:12 PM.

I don't really care who wins but after doing research on food traditions of the two cities, we came up with a menu of:

Baltimore pit beef sandwiches (grilled beef sliced thin on sandwiches with a creamy horseradish sauce)
    Rice-a-Roni (the San Francisco treat! ;-) )
    veggies and dip
    Berger cookies (already ordered these from Baltimore)

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    We're having a small gathering , and I don't know who's even playing! It's all about the unhealthy food. I plan on making White Castle sliders, chicken wings[if I can find them, I heard that there's a shortage because of the drought], and cheeseburger dip. I will also make a couple of pies-buttermilk and banana cream.
    Today the American Chicken Council People (or whatever they call themselves) said there was no shortage of chicken wings. Now if they could only tell me chicken wings are fat- and calorie-free .

It will just be the two of us and we have absolutely no skin in this game, so I might do something easy like braised lamb shanks. Or we might just graze on cheese and crackers, olives, stuffed grape leaves, etc.

I made these Feta Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs for dinner last night and they were really good. You get the buffalo flavor at least without a lot of fat and calories (I used 85% ground turkey and estimated for 4 they were approx. 325 calories...nothing scientific just an approximation).
    Feta Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs.

These Roasted Jalapeno Popper Potato Skins sound good too.

I thought this looked really good! We're not having a party, but if we're invited to one, I may take this! Though they usually ask me to bring dessert...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    Still contemplating a party, but, if it goes forward, this would be my menu.

Super Easy Super Bowl

I ripped the pages out of Bon Appetit and the photos are drool-worthy! It is a make it/buy it menu, too. I would make my own guacamole and brownies, though (and skip the lemon bars). Just because
    Looks really good! I'm going to a Super Bowl party and need to take a salad - I think I'll make this romaine and broccoli one. I also printed the sandwiches - they look wonderful! Thanks
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Do you have a recipe for the White Castle sliders?
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lake Martin Gal, I cut out that recipe and want to make it, too. I have found Mezzetta Tamed Jalapeno Slices that are not really hot. You get the jalapeno flavor, but your mouth is not on fire! Since some of my children like it hot, I thought I would do one side tame and one side hot.

I love the idea of making Super Bowl food but I've never watched a football game in my life! I should find someone to offer catering service to Love reading these menus!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    Do you have a recipe for the White Castle sliders?
    Here ya go. The numbers refer to the steps and not the amount. DD uses hotdog buns because that's what's available. Feel free to use whatever you can find that is small and slider like. She attends an international, Catholic, English speaking church in Germany, and every June they have an international potluck before everyone goes back to their respective countries for the summer. We have attended several times, and it is a very tasty experience. with food from around the world. The 'American' sliders go fast!

1 hot dog buns
    2 1 1/2 # ground beef
    3 1/4 c. bread crumbs
    4 1 egg
    5 1 pkg dry onion soup mix

1 large onion
    dill pickle slices
    cheese slices

Mix ingredients 2-4. Add pepper. Add soup mix and mix together. Spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment or tin foil. Chop onion and spread on top of ground beef mixture. Poke holes with fork. Bake at 325 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Beef will curl a bit. Drain grease. Cut hot dog buns into threes. Cut beef to fit buns. Place beef on bun with sliced pickle and cheese. To heat, sprinkle with water, cover with pplastic wrap and microwave to make buns gooey.

Here ya go. The numbers refer to the steps and not the amount. DD uses hotdog buns because that's what's available. Feel free to use whatever you can find that is small and slider like. She attends an international, Catholic, English speaking church in Germany, and every June they have an international potluck before everyone goes back to their respective countries for the summer. We have attended several times, and it is a very tasty experience. with food from around the world. The 'American' sliders go fast!

1 hot dog buns
    2 1 1/2 # ground beef
    3 1/4 c. bread crumbs
    4 1 egg
    5 1 pkg dry onion soup mix

1 large onion
    dill pickle slices
    cheese slices

Mix ingredients 2-4. Add pepper. Add soup mix and mix together. Spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment or tin foil. Chop onion and spread on top of ground beef mixture. Poke holes with fork. Bake at 325 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Beef will curl a bit. Drain grease. Cut hot dog buns into threes. Cut beef to fit buns. Place beef on bun with sliced pickle and cheese. To heat, sprinkle with water, cover with pplastic wrap and microwave to make buns gooey.

Thanks!

some really good stuff in this link from F&W, particularly the neato take on disco fries-- I make something similar, but vegetarian style:

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...ovativeGameDay

Food doled out by quarter :-)

Happens to be all Vegan except for the 'real' Hot & Teriyaki Wings in the 3rd Quarter. I don't think people would know/realize except they will see my husband and I eating all of it !

1st Quarter
    XLVII Signature Drink: Alien Juice Cocktails
    Tapas:
    Twice Baked Teeny Tatoes
    Marinated Mushrooms
    Stuffed Mexican Pepper Bites
    Chili Lime Almonds

2nd Quarter
    Chili
    Spinach & Artichoke Dip / Tortilla Chips

3rd Quarter
    Hot Buffalo & Teriyaki Wings
    Vegan Wings
    Veggies & Rancho Dip

4th Quarter
    “Cowboy” Cookies
    Coffee

Buffalo Chicken Dip

This is my first post on the Cooking Light Community boards. Thought I'd start with Superbowl foods since I am having a few people over on Sunday. My "go to" is always the Buffalo Chicken Dip recip from Franks Red Hot -
    Honestly, it's super easy and everyone always loves it!
    http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/...ken-dip-RE1242

I'm going to keep browsing these message boards for some other easy recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by Missi View Post
    I made this and decided to review it even though I didn't follow exactly. I do not like ground chicken so I diced up breast meat and replaced. Otherwise followed the recipe; adjusting the broth some. It is very good. We actually have some very spicy buffalo sauce we used so it was kicked up but that's how we like it!

Thanks for posting.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Oops, I meant to post to the thread as well. I am making Gumbo. Figured it was a good compromise instead of doing Baltimore/SF stuff. It's just me and DH so Im not going to a lot of trouble. I like Alton Brown's recipe but I don't make shrimp stock, just use chicken stock and toss in the shrimpers.

Shrimp Gumbo
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2007

Prep Time:1 hr 0 minInactive Prep Time:-- Cook Time:2 hr 30 minLevel:
    IntermediateServes:6 servings.This spicy Cajun gumbo, a stew originating in Louisiana in the 18th century, gains much of its flavor from the dark roux and its characteristic thickness from file, an herb made from the ground leaves of the sassafras tree. Onions, celery and green peppers, the "holy trinity" of both Creole and Cajun cooking, add flavor and substance to the thick shrimp and sausage stew, which is served over a heaping portion of white rice.

Ingredients
    4 ounces vegetable oil
    4 ounces all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 pounds raw, whole, head-on medium-sized (31-50 count) shrimp
    2 quarts water
    1 cup diced onion
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup diced green peppers
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1/2 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomato
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and browned
    1 tablespoon file powder
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the vegetable oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.

While the roux is baking, de-head, peel and devein the shrimp. Place the shrimp in a bowl and set in the refrigerator. Place the heads and shells in a 4-quart saucepan along with the 2 quarts of water, set over high heat and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour or until the liquid has reduced to 1-quart. Remove from the heat and strain the liquid into a container, discarding the solids.

Once the roux is done, carefully remove it from the oven and set over medium-high heat. Gently add the onions, celery, green peppers and garlic and cook, moving constantly for 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent. Add the tomatoes, salt, black pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves and stir to combine. Gradually add the shrimp broth while whisking continually. Decrease the heat to low, cover and cook for 35 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the shrimp and sausage and stir to combine. Add the file powder while stirring constantly. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve over rice.

Per Serving (does not include rice): Calories: 408; Total Fat: 25 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 24 grams; Total carbohydrates: 21 grams; Sugar: 3 grams; Fiber: 1.5 grams; Cholesterol: 183 milligrams; Sodium: 1939 milligrams
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.