Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We Are DRENCHED! What's it like where you are?

OK. I asked the husband.

RiverFarm

Kay, there were all sorts of incentive programs in NJ to go solar, although they have dried up now. What concerned us was that we weren't allowed to install a system whereby if the grid was down we could still use solar to power our house. The solar only operated when the grid was up. The reason cited was that power could flow back out into the grid from our solar installation and pose a danger to linemen working to restore the system. But we have a transfer mechanism on our propane generator that prevents that, and no one has been able to explain why a similar mechanism won't work for solar setups. Apparently that's what Joyce has.
    We have a special system and it is way more expensive because you have batteries, have to have a charger to charge the batteries and a different kind of inverter. The husband said this is legal everywhere.
    He has to completely disconnect from the power company before he can switch over to the batteries.
    He goes to the main disconnect that comes to the house and flips it off so we don't have any power coming from the power company and that keeps us from sending power back to them.

Then he has a sub panel that is on a separate breaker box that is in the house that just runs a few things. Since this snow, we have realized that on a sunny day our batteries do even better than what we thought. (we only have 8 batteries) They will run the freezer and refrigerator for 4 or 5 days, without an additional charge (from the sun-cloudy days) Since we were out of power this time for 3complete days, he has realized we can run our water heater if that is the only thing we are running at the time. This basically means running to the basement and turning the breakers to the fridge and freezer and water pump off, heating the water, turning the water heater breaker off, turning on the water pump to take our showers, then turning that breaker off. And this is possible because the freezer and fridge has been running to keep them at the temperature they need to be (so nothing spoils when we turn them off briefly to do the hot water and water pump) so,once the showers are taken, everything is turned off and the breaker for the refrigerator and freezer are turned back on.It's kind of like a juggling act. This all occurs when the power is down.

Otherwise, when the main breaker is on, and we are generating at full capacity, we have 45.00 a month power bills (in the last three months the power bills kept getting higher and higher because the leak was getting bigger and bigger and the pump was running constantly.) In the winter we keep the temperature set at 70 degrees and in the summer we keep the air set at 69 degrees. We also have a geothermal heat pump.

Our problem with why this wasn't working as well as it could have, this weekend, was that we discovered that we had a huge water leak. Once he fixed that yesterday he was amazed at how quickly the batteries charged...but mind you we had beautiful sunshine to accomplish this.

There is a gauge on the controller that tells us how much juice is left in the batteries, so he watches that and doesn't run our batteries down. It is not as difficult as it sounds, it's just a matter of keeping watch. Oh and if you wanted to tie a generator into the system, you could do that and it would automatically come on when the batteries get too low. (This is when solar is off and you are using the batteries)then you could possibly run your entire house off the batteries. With the geothermal heat pump, he doesn't know how much that would pull.

I hope that this explains why no one is in danger. And gives you some information to take back to the people you were talking to.

In the state of Virginia, the Stimulus money that the state received was given out on a first come first serve basis, for energy saving. You could receive grants for geothermal, solar panels and all it took to run them , energy efficient appliances and soon. At the same time, the federal government was (and may still be) giving tax credits for each thing that you did. At the same time, we were building our home and we basically just lucked out. A lot of people applied for money and then the task just looked too daunting so they turned their request back in and a second offering was made. and a third offering was made. The money was going to be there until it was gone...so I am not sure if there is any left. This is the ONLY reason we could afford it.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

hi

hi
    www.erdemlihaber.org local news site

49 and sunny...BLECH.
    Pollen counts have started...and the dreaded birch is alive.
    Oh how I miss my sub-zero, frozen, white landscape....and no pollen till april or may
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    49 and sunny...BLECH.
    Pollen counts have started...and the dreaded birch is alive.
    Oh how I miss my sub-zero, frozen, white landscape....and no pollen till april or may
    You are too funny! I am missing our great snowfalls here [lake effect] as well as the low temps and wind chills. Tuesday it will be 44 degrees and rain! We had about an inch or so today, but the blades of grass are protruding through the snow fall. The neighbor's p-u-s-s-y willow tree was blooming last week; tiny, white, fuzzy blooms on the hanging branches. My rose bushes were pushing out red growth buds, and of course the buds are frozen at this time. Had to edit the name of the tree!!

Many of our plants have continued to bloom and our strawberry plants have never died.
    Flies and pollen are just WRONG for January. I will never get used to it. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    Many of our plants have continued to bloom and our strawberry plants have never died.
    Flies and pollen are just WRONG for January. I will never get used to it. Sigh.
    I would take flies and pollen over the weeks of sub-zero temps we've been having here. I feel like I haven't been warm in months, and don't get me started on the dry, itchy skin...
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

It was 18 this morning when I woke up. we have an ice covering now. You can walk on top of the snow and not cave through and MAN! Is it slick because of this freezing drizzle. Wing is blowing and gusting at 35 MPH. BRRRRRRR. Stay warm everyone.

Ana, I think I would HAVE to move if the allergy season came any earlier than March! Spring
    and Autumn have always been really bad for me, and to think I might have to suffer an additional
    2 months. Couldn't take it. Feel better!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

When we first moved to Louisiana in 1978 spring lasted through mid May. Now we're lucky to make it through March without a need for a/c. Last year had to turn it on in February. I've already had it on for a couple days this year.

Our high's are in the low 80's with humidity. I plan to bake stuffed chix breasts and B/N squash tomorrow so I will have to turn on the A/C. That is just flat wrong for January. If we're in the 80's in late January, what on earth will Easter be like? We're fertiliziing the grass this weekend because it's growing and greening and I'm going to trim my crepe myrtles too because they are leafing out. Nothing ever went dormant this year. We are just barely out of the drought declaration due to the rains earlier this month but we don't expect much more rain until early February.

The white-wing doves have been mating for the last two weeks and our resident mockingbird is so territorial he's chasing the sparrows. We have a lovely hawk, probably a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned, who is reducing the white-wing population while his larger cousins give amazing aerial demos over our bayous.

And I bought another 90-day supply of Allegra at Costco.

And I bought another 90-day supply of Allegra at Costco.
    Oh Brother! How I love living where I live for the above reason. We have 4 distinct seasons
    and I only need medication for 2 of them, with a season in between to recuperate!

Between Quercetin supplements and nasalcrom (cromilyn salts) nasal spray, my allergies are well under control...
    I just don't LIKE IT.

Dh thinks 2 seasons are great...spring and summer....can you tell I love him ?

Flies, pollen and mowing the lawn in January ARE wrong. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Maybe we will luck out with a cold snap

Too funny! You have 6.5 inches... we got 1/2 an inch in about 24 hours here in San Diego. The roads are a mess due to so many accidents and people are talking about "downpours". I'm enjoying a day of rain though... we don't get it very often!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

Flies, pollen and mowing the lawn in January ARE wrong.
    I have a friend in Texas who told me their mowing season begins in February
    and I just had not thought about that. Blew me away. Mid April to Mid-October
    is plenty enough mowing for anyone! the mid October is more for mulching the
    leaves than anything.

We got 1/2 an inch in about 24 hours here in San Diego. The roads are a mess due to so many accidents and people are talking about "downpours". I'm enjoying a day of rain though... we don't get it very often!
    LOL, it's amazing what a difference a word makes depending on your region.

DOWNPOUR, here,means just that. LOTS and LOTS of rain way more than 1/2"!
    But 1/2" where you live, is a downpour!

TODAY! Lots of SUNSHINE!

It's about 0 now with winds blowing about 30 and gusting past 50. I'm guessing it is well below 0 if the wind chill is factored in. Saltwater spray from the waves is freezing in the air. Beautiful clear skies but you can't see the mountain tops with all the snow blowing off them. It's supposed to warm up and snow about 15 inches in the next day or so.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    It's about 0 now with winds blowing about 30 and gusting past 50. I'm guessing it is well below 0 if the wind chill is factored in. Saltwater spray from the waves is freezing in the air. Beautiful clear skies but you can't see the mountain tops with all the snow blowing off them. It's supposed to warm up and snow about 15 inches in the next day or so.
    Anne, are you in Anchorage?
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

http://www.evsboca.com/index.htm

It's about 75 here. See more people in clothes than in bathing suits.

75 degrees for FL has to be good any time of the year!

It's 57 right now, but about midnight a thunderstorm rolled through with heavy rain, hail, and wind. I just want seasonal weather-cold and snow. It will be 18 on Friday.

Central Oklahoma is certainly having strange weather. It is 5:40 a.m. and 67 degrees. Around 5 a.m. we got a national weather service tornado watch on our cell phone. The good news is some places are getting rain and we certainly need a lot of rain. After today we are supposed to have more typical typical weather in the 40's and 50's but then a warm weekend. Crazy.

Carole
    Last edited by Love to Run; 01-29-2013 at 06:11 AM.

It's about 70 today, going up to 75 tomorrow, then down to 30 during the night! I love it, but I don't know how to dress, and the thermostat is certainly confused...
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    Anne, are you in Anchorage?
    I'm in Juneau. Last week it got up to almost 40 for a few days and was warmer than parts of Arizona. If the wind is from the interior, through the mountains we share with Canada, it is cold, windy, and usually dry, if the wind is off the ocean it is mild and often wet. During the transition periods in winter we get dumps of snow, up to several feet at a time. This makes life interesting and planning difficult.
    Anne

Stop raining!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Stop raining!!!
    I hear you! Wind STOP blowing. 50 MPH Gusts.
    60 degrees, with yet another flash flood watch.
    To drop into the 20's by tomorrow with snow flurries.

I just wish the rain would hold off until after February 18th, which is when they are required to start letting the lake fill! We were soaked today, with tornado warnings and hail warnings (we didn't get any), and the dogs are drenched! They literally don't have enough sense to come in out of the rain! OTOH, I got to try out my new slicker, which kept me dry, from the thighs up!
    Kay

I hope the tornadoes did not affect many people....the weather channel showed some horrific highways with cars strewn about.

50 and slightly overcast. Pollen count high, but at least it is overcast

Yesterday, 40 & rain. Today. BLIZZARD. Ah, to be in northern Michigan!

To all in the flood & tornado zones, take care.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Getting my wish; wind and snow although it's not supposed to amount to much. Still I'm enjoying the view as I type. It was 58 dgs. yesterday with RAIN and more RAIN, 37 as I type, 18 dgs tomorrow, and wind chills of -15. Yikes! I love it! The principal has already put out a delayed start schedule for tomorrow.

We have received 1.53 inches of rain in the last 4 hours with wind gusts up to 53 MPH. And THAT'S just the gusts.

The temp is 6 with a windchill of -6. I'm lovin' it! The fireplace is going and putting out some heat and a wonderful ambiance. Sorry Wallycat!

We didn't have a single freeze the entire month of January. We did get over 15" of rain. Neither is typical for the month ... or what once was considered typical. Climate change changes everything.

Temps all week will be in the high 60s/low 70s. I started garden cleanup today. Cut back ornamental grasses and fertilized the citrus trees. Plan to start tomato and pepper seeds tomorrow.