Community Message Boards

Thread: Dermaplaning, Anyone?

Dermaplaning, Anyone?

I am curious if any of you have tried Dermaplaning, ? I am so naive about things of this nature. I always knew that my mom's facial hair in her later years was so long and I knew that the fine facial hair was headed in the same direction. My facial hair is white so I knew the laser wouldn't help it so, I just figured I was doomed. I didn't know what to do about it and I wasn't going to shave...I was afraid to wax because I was afraid it would come back as hard hair.

anyway, I became upset with the lady I was purchasing my Obagi from (she could never answer my questions), so I sought out a different place. This new lady is so intriguing with what all she her office has to offer. When she was showing me make-up, she mentioned that my makeup would go on so smoother and look so much better if I had my facial hair removed (I always thought that doing that would just cause whiskers and I wasn't having that. She explained otherwise.)

I was amazed that a lot of places charge $130-$150 for this but if you buy a package of three from this business, it costs 45.00 each time as opposed to the 65.00 for one time. I have to tell you I LOVE it!

If you are curious, please follow the link to learn more about this process. And I would love to know if anyone else is doing this. It is apparently a well kept secret around here!

http://askanesthetician.wordpress.co...ing-explained/
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

In terms of laser hair removal, I only know what I hear on Dr. oz
    There are new lasers that work in different light-wave-lengths so can deal a wider array of specs.
    For example, darker skinned people had issues with the first generation laser, but that is no longer the case.

As for shaving, they say the reason (aside from their thicker dermis) men have smoother skin is because of the daily shaving...a fabulous way to exfoliate the skin!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

First I'd ever heard of it (sounds awful to me -- You know what a planing tool for woodwork is, right?), but it sounds to me like there are cheaper and less risky ways to exfoliate than to use a scalpel. I've used Philosophy and Olay products for months for what you are paying for a single treatment.

If it's hair removal you're after, $45 is still awfully expensive for a shave (and $130-150?!?!?), and more risky. I don't want an open blade on my face. One slip could have long term consequences. Call it what you will, but it sounds like a marketing ploy for those with money to burn. Obviously, I have not tried it and you can put me in the column for not likely to.

Your waxing comment surprised me. I've always heard that hair grew back finer after waxing.

As I said Beth, I am a bit naive about things like this.

I am spending a very extravagant Christmas gift.
    When that is gone, I will try your strategies!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

You know more than I do, and I'm sorry if I came off snarky this morning. That wasn't intended. The idea of a scalpel on my face gives me the willies, especially with images of a wood planing tool in my mind. I think it is too hard for me to get past that to even truly consider the cost. If you've tried it and really like it, there must be more to it than I can imagine. I'd put my money on massages or pedicures.

Okay, this will probably be TMI and, Joyce, not meant to hijack your thread.

I thought I was pretty silly to suddenly start getting my eyebrows waxed at 62 after a lifetime of thanking Brooke Shields for having real brows. Still, made me feel better and now I even take care of my own because it seems wrong to pay $10 every 6 weeks when three minutes of pain resolves the situation.

Recently, I realized that what may have once been a slight bit of soft down was really dark, long hair. Ladies, I shaved that stuff off as soon as I could warm up the water. I am not fair-skinned and while the head hair is slowly turning silver, the face hair is dark. And obvious. And like a really bad Robin Williams comedy routine.

So, no, I wouldn't let someone else use a scalpel on my face just for that-both because of a lack of trust and the cost. I will add a new step to the usual shaving routine because no-one is going to know that I'm turning into wolf-crone as time marches on. Joyce, enjoy the gift for as long as it lasts.

Sigh! I once thought zits were the worst thing in the world. Perpective can sure change.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

No no no no, Beth. I took NO offense at what you said! But I am going to try several
    different procedures just for fun. I feel like since the gift was actually purchased from
    a spa, that I want to use it for spa things. And I absolutely meant what I said, when I
    said I will try your products, because I knew about Nair for legs but had no idea there
    were products for the face. (Would never dream of using Nair for the face, though
    the products you mentioned may be the same thing, just marketed differently.)
    I was actually trying to say that you clued me in. But since I purchased a package
    of three, I would use them and then try your products. Hope that makes sense.

I appreciate all of the comments. I enjoy knowing what others do, what works, what
    doesn't work. (and that I am not the only one )

Olay does have a hair removal product, but I know nothing about it beyond the ads I have seen. The Olay and Philosophy products I have used are things like the microderm peels or scrubs for exfoliating. I like both of their lines, but it looks like the Oxygen peel from Philosophy has been discontinued. That was my current favorite.