Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone watching the Taste?

Anyone watching the Taste?

New show and on right now. Anthony Bourdain and Nigella are two of the chefs. Nigella has lost at least 30 or more pounds. She looks fabulous- younger and very svelte.

I watched it... was entertaining and I love Anthony. I remember Brian from Top Chef, but he looks slightly different ... work done? I'm curious to see how the show plays out... if they are helping with their meals, how is it a 'blind' tasting? We shall see...........

Agree about Nigella. I wasn't even sure it was her at first.

Watched until 8:30 when the New Normal came on.

I watched the first 30-40 minutes and was bored. But then, I'm not much of a reality TV watcher. I just didn't think it had much of a hook.

I tried to watch it but got bored, fairly quickly.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I think the auditions for a food type of program are going to be pretty boring since there isn't any particular suspense as you aren't vested in anyone. I don't watch the "talent" reality shows but at least on those, the audience can evaluate the contestants.

There really wasn't much to work with except for the waste management guy who was shown stirring up the waste and who then produced a chicken mole with a sauce that resembled the waste.

I assume it will get better once the judges being mentoring and the contestants are shown actually cooking.

The idea of a blind tasting is interesting although I do wonder how they can preserve the anonymity as the judges get to know the styles of the competitors.

I wanted to like it. It did get old and boring very quickly.

Nigella and her 'come play with me',' let's play together', ........gave me the creeps.

I'll stop in next week if I happen to be around.

Sorry I missed this!

I didn't bother watching as it seemed like it should be on the food network instead.

My DS wanted to watch it, so we turned it on. He enjoyed it, I thought it was so-so. There were SO many commercial breaks, and there just wasn't much "meat" there, really. I really can't believe they made that drag on for two hours! I told DS we could continue to watch it, but that we weren't watching it live so that we can skip the commercials.

I think the concept is fun... maybe it will get better as we get invested in the contestants. I can't imagine it being a bad show with the judging panel they have. And I seriously doubt anyone could have gotten Bourdain to sign onto a train wreck of a show. Time will tell.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I watched it, but didn't understand how they selected one to be on their team. On a couple of occasions one or two of the judges said they really wanted the person to be on their team, but they had voted. Did they vote before they met the contestant.
    Also is this filmed all at one time? If so, how can they judge without somehow clearing their palettes? Some of the better restaurants used to give you a little sherbert to clear your palette. Maybe they still do, I haven't been out lately!

Quote Originally Posted by madpots View Post
    I watched it, but didn't understand how they selected one to be on their team. On a couple of occasions one or two of the judges said they really wanted the person to be on their team, but they had voted. Did they vote before they met the contestant.
    Also is this filmed all at one time? If so, how can they judge without somehow clearing their palettes? Some of the better restaurants used to give you a little sherbert to clear your palette. Maybe they still do, I haven't been out lately!
    They vote in a blind tasting without seeing the contestant or knowing anything about the contestant. That's the hook of the show as all tastings will be "blind" so theoretically a mentor could vote someone off his or her own team.

The reason why they expressed regret at times is when they actually met the person and learned of their experience/background, they realized that the "taste" might not have reflected how good the person actually might be in the future.

The elimination is filmed over the course of many days so there is a LOT of time between contestants to clear the palate.

Thank you for the update. Now it makes more sense. And thanks for the correct spelling of palate! I knew it was wrong, but too lazy to get the dictionary. And I'm not used to spell check.
    One other observation - why do all these shows have to have one or more people who are absolutely obnoxious? That one woman who said everybody else might as well go home.................