Community Message Boards

Thread: Finicky Cat!

Finicky Cat!

Sylvester is driving me nuts ... short trip, I know. Every few months, he just stops eating... first, not from the bowl, fine, I put on the floor.... then not from the floor... actually backs away from the food like I'm trying to poison him. He is peeing and pooping and playing, nose is cold and wet, eyes are clear... just does not want to eat. I went and got canned food (do NOT want to start with that tho) and mixed in with his dry... took two licks and backed away. Once he is over this, he will gobble his food like crazy. Not sure he is has a tummy problem at these times.. I did a 'poop examine' yesterday as he had a slight bit of red blood on his little hinny.... just a bunch of fur in it (sorry for the visual). Today, no blood as I was going to take in to vet if he did.... will check next week and if it comes back, will take in for a check. I got some furball treats at Petsmart, but he doesn't want them either... will not lick the off the tube of furball stuff. I comb him daily. Not sure what his problem is, but I so worry about this as it is how Casey started getting sick.... I try to NOT relate the two, but hard to do at times. I think that he is just trying to test me. I need NO more tests in life currently...

I would just continue feeding him what you normally do. When he's hungry he'll eat it. And unless there are dire symptoms I wouldn't worry about him. Sometimes people go off their food, too. He may be getting something elsewhere if he goes outside, or he may just be hunkering down because it's winter now.
    Chacun à son goût!

Strictly indoor kitty, so no other food. He is drinking water ok. I have some cooked chicken that I'm going to make BBQ out of, think i'll put a small piece aside for him and see what that does. I guess he gets bored, but I actually tried some of my neighbor's dry last time and, nope, didn't want that either.... oh well... hopefully, this too shall pass.

My cats are the same way. Not only that, but if they love something for YEARS, they can up and turn their noses at it in an instant.
    In nature, cats eat very small portions at a time, so what we perceive as not eating may be that infact they eat throughout the day in small amounts. He may be taking a few bites here and there, which is enough for him. My girl-cat hardly eats anything, but she sure weighs enough!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

"du jour" is a term for what a cat will or won't eat at any moment in time. One day my little guy will devour his regular diet, next day he tries to cover it like you-know-what.

Blood in stool or urine needs to be evaluated by a vet.

Cats'll tweak you, that's for sure! If his lack of appetite is due to a little nausea from furballs, you might want to try about 1/2" of Laxatone on the roof of his mouth.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Blood in stool or urine needs to be evaluated by a vet.
    Yes, I will take in a stool sample next week.... as there was NO blood yesterday and they are closed for the weekend (and no blood again today), they need a 'fresh' sample to check. He is eating again today.... every single bite I left on both the floor and in his bowl were gone when I got up this morning and he had his breakfast and lunch.... I need a 'cat whisper' to figure him out at times.... I do love him tho

Quote Originally Posted by Casey1230 View Post
    I need a 'cat whisper' to figure him out at times....
    Good luck with that I don't have a cat but many of my friends do and their stories are endless.
    Hope test results will prove your sweet Sylvester is fine.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

It doesn't sound like this is the case, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

A few years back, a couple of our dogs that were getting dry food started to not want to eat, which was strange. It turned out that the dry food ended up being recalled shortly thereafter. We switched them over to a raw diet and haven't had any problems since.

Probably not the case with your cat, but like I said, just thought I'd put it out there.