Community Message Boards

Thread: Datil Pepper "Classic Red Sauce": How would you use this?

Datil Pepper "Classic Red Sauce": How would you use this?

The in-laws went to St. Augustine, FL last spring and brought us a bottle of Datil Pepper Classic Red Sauce. The consistency is thick, and on initial taste, it has a sweet tomato flavor with lingering heat from the peppers. The ingredients are tomato concentrate, sugar, vinegar, salt, onion powder, green and datil peppers, onions, spices (possibly oregano?)

Looking for some creative ways to use this...any help is appreciated!

TIA!

How much do you have? Could you substitute some tomato sauce or diced tomatoes in a soup recipe with some of this spicy sauce?

Sounds liek it would be wonderful layered onto roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes, perhaps topped with a cheddar. Or as a base for a curry dish.

I have a 12-oz. bottle, Celeste. I hadn't thought of adding it to a soup, but that's a good idea! It might make a nice base for a cioppino.

And heavy hedonist, I also love your idea of putting it over potatoes with some melted cheddar...the taste would definitely go well with that.

ooh...now I'm feeling inspired!

There is an omelet I love at a local diner. The filling is sauteed sausage, peppers, mushrooms, and onions with a touch of red sauce and some mozzarella. I think what you describe would be great in a combo like this. Yum!

There is an omelet I love at a local diner. The filling is sauteed sausage, peppers, mushrooms, and onions with a touch of red sauce and some mozzarella. I think what you describe would be great in a combo like this. Yum!
    mmm...that DOES sound good! Is the sauce cooked into the omelet or drizzled on top?

That omelet with the potatoes heavy hedonist suggested (I'm picturing diced or thick-sliced taters with onions and green peppers done in the style of home fries with a layer of sauce and cheese baked on top) would make an amazing Sunday breakfast. I think I may have found my plan for this bottle of sauce!

Thanks, everyone!

mmm...that DOES sound good! Is the sauce cooked into the omelet or drizzled on top?
    Oh, duh---you said it's in the filling, so it's folded into the omelet.

My mouth is watering now.

Yes, you're right--it is part of the filling. I like the days when the cook has a heavy hand with the sauce I would never think to pair eggs and tomato sauce, but it is seriously good.

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    I would never think to pair eggs and tomato sauce, but it is seriously good.
    LOL, I always thought pairing eggs with tomato sauce/ketchup was seriously odd until the day I realized my eggs were swimming in salsa.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

Might be good in meatloaf.

Did you check the website for more ideas?

http://datsnicehotsauce.com/cooking-...-pepper-sauce/

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    Yes, you're right--it is part of the filling. I like the days when the cook has a heavy hand with the sauce I would never think to pair eggs and tomato sauce, but it is seriously good.
    eggs in purgatory is a classic homestyle Italian-American recipe... here's one I like, but there are dozens of ways, including poached.

http://www.therecipeclub.net/2013/01...igella-lawson/