Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Game of the Week #77 01/30/2013

Cooking Game of the Week #77 01/30/2013

Good Morning Everyone!!!!!!!

This weeks letter of the alphabet couldn't come up at a better time. This week we will be working with the letter "S"
    Does "Superbowl Food" come to mind? I know, there are several threads devoted to that day, but I am sure we can come up with some more goodies.

So, how did we all do last week? Does anyone have any stories about getting their "To Try" recipes dwindled down any?
    Well, in case you are still working on them, how about we extend them for this week also? I know I need a lot more time.

Well, that is it for this week. Remember, I am always looking for suggestions on playing this game. Please don't hesitate to let me know your ideas.

This game is open to anyone that would like to play. Any questions, please ask.

Happy Cooking!!!!!!

I WILL be getting into the kitchen with a new recipe this week! My "home team" (Pats) didn't make the Superbowl so I don't know if we'll be watching it but I'll come up with something tasty for dinner.
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    I WILL be getting into the kitchen with a new recipe this week! My "home team" (Pats) didn't make the Superbowl so I don't know if we'll be watching it but I'll come up with something tasty for dinner.
    Hi Reb, so sorry about your home team. Looking forward to your post.

DH cooked these for dinner tonight. Used boneless thighs. Why was it sitting around all these years? It was sooooo good.

Wasabi-Crusted Chicken Breasts
    4 servings

Recipe by Brooke Dojny and Melanie Barnard

1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
    4 teaspoons wasabi powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 eggs, beaten to blend
    4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, flattened to 1/3-inch thickness between plastic wrap
    4 tablespoons peanut oil
    3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
    3 tablespoons sake
    3 tablespoons low-salt chicken broth
    3 green onions, thinly sliced

Combine panko, wasabi powder, salt, and pepper in large shallow dish. Place eggs in pie dish. Dip chicken, 1 breast at a time, in egg, then in panko mixture. Turn to coat completely.

Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté 2 chicken breasts until golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to platter. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.

Add teriyaki sauce, sake, and chicken broth to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Drizzle sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and serve.

Source: Bon Appetit - December 2003

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi Reb, so sorry about your home team. Looking forward to your post.
    Hehe that's okay - I don't watch sports so I don't really care. But my family was a bit bummed out. We probably would've had a Superbowl party had they made it to the game but probably not now. Just as well...we would've been overrun with all the "junky" leftovers!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!

DH cooked these for dinner tonight. Used boneless thighs. Why was it sitting around all these years? It was sooooo good.

Wasabi-Crusted Chicken Breasts
    4 servings
    I'm not a wasabi person but am curious: how noticeable was it in this recipe? I absolutely LOVE heat and spice and usually able to withstand a lot...but wasabi is just too much for me. Same with hot mustard - they just go right up and burn my nose rather than my tastebuds lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    I'm not a wasabi person but am curious: how noticeable was it in this recipe? I absolutely LOVE heat and spice and usually able to withstand a lot...but wasabi is just too much for me. Same with hot mustard - they just go right up and burn my nose rather than my tastebuds lol.
    Ok, this is embarrassing. First, DH cut back on the Wasabi. (protecting me) Second, after the fact, I found out the Wasabi was 10 years old.. I made a note on the recipe to make this again when we get fresh wasabi. I could not taste it at all. It was really very, very good, especially the sauce. I also think it was so good because he used thighs which were not as dry as breasts. Don't skip the green onions.

It's suggestion time

I will start it with some of my favorite things that start with S. Of course you know what my first item is. YEP!!!

SHRIMP!!!!!!
    Steven Raichlen
    Smith, Jeff ( The Frugal Gourmet)
    Sage
    Salt
    Seafood
    Steak
    Sweet Potatoes
    Spinach

Have any to add?

sofrito?

Quote Originally Posted by Soupandstew View Post
    sofrito?
    Thanks

SHRIMP!!!!!!
    Steven Raichlen
    Sage
    Salt
    Seafood
    Steak
    Sweet Potatoes
    Spinach
    Sandwiches
    Snacks
    Spreads
    Sofrito

Have any to add

SHRIMP!!!!!!
    Steven Raichlen
    Sage
    Salt
    Seafood
    Steak
    Sweet Potatoes
    Spinach
    Sandwiches
    Snacks
    Spreads
    Sofrito

Have any to add
    Sugar
    Spice or spicy (general spice as opposed to a specific)
    Sara Moulton

Don't expect I'll be playing though...supposed to be getting my countertop installed next week, plus I still don't feel like cooking...lost my cooking mojo...hope it'll come back once I'm feeling more energetic, and of course with actual countertops to work on instead of the temp plywood

The crepes I made last week turned out amazing and so easy. Alton Brown really is a genius. I was suprised that I really didn't need to oil the pan beyond the first crepe. I don't own any nonstick pans but this didn't seem to matter not a single one stuck.
    I remember the last time I tried making crepes alot of cursing was involved and they turned out oily and too thick.
    This is definately omething I'll make again.

Here is my recipe to try for this week which is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Fresh Food Fast. I've never had a bad meal from this book. It falls under the S catigory for stew.
    I'm also planning on making fresh lasagna (from my to try folder) but I haven't decided on a recipe yet.

Winter Vegetable Stew with Maple-Glazed Tofu

Makes: 4 | Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:

Tofu:

• 1 1/2 pounds extra-firm tofu, drained
    • 5 Tb soy sauce
    • 1 Tb extra-virgin olive oil
    • 3 Tb maple syrup
    • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
    • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Stew:

• 1 Tb extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 large onion, cut into chunks
    • 3 cups water
    • 2 medium turnips, peeled & cut into chunks
    • 2 medium carrots, peeled & cut into 1-inch pieces
    • 1 pound winter squash, peeled & cut into 1-inch pieces
    • 1 fennel bulb, trimmed & cut into chunks
    • 1 Tb chopped fresh ginger
    • Course sea salt or kosher salt to taste
    • 2 or 3 heads baby bok choy (about 3/4 pound total), cut into large pieces
    • 4 to 6 cups cooked couscous
    • Juice of 1 lemon
    • Chopped fresh green onions for garnish

Directions:

To make the tofu: Wrap it in a clean kitchen towel & press gently but firmly to extract excess water. Cut the tofu into 8 slices.

In a large sauté pan, arrange the tofu in a single layer.

In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, olive oil, maple syrup, garlic and red pepper flakes. Pour over the tofu.

Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the pieces and cook uncovered until almost dry, about 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.

To make the stew: Warm the oil in a pressure cooker over high heat (see note). Add the onion and sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the turnips, carrots, squash, fennel, ginger and salt. Lock the lid in place and bring to full pressure. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes.

Transfer the pressure cooker to the sink and run under cold water to releast the pressure. Remove the lid and return the pot to high heat. The vegetables should be perfectly tender; if they are not, continue simmering the stew, uncovered, over medium heat until done.

Add the box choy and simmer for 1 minute, until bright green and tender. Stir in the glazed tofu. Serve the stew over couscous with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of green onions.

If not using a pressure cooker, use a large pot and simmer over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Source: http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/334...ll_recipe=true

Sent From Paprika Recipe Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Beachside View Post
    Sugar
    Sara Moulton
    How could I have forgotten to add....SOUP!

And I'll throw in Steamy Kitchen, the web site and cookbook(s) by one of my favorite authors, Jaden Hair.

I really will get back to cooking some new Stuff for the game this week. But so far I've been Sidelined by hideous weather keeping me from the store, a meal out with friends (postponed from my birthday because of even more hideous weather in December), and ... laziness. (I hope I made that small enough so you couldn't read it.)

Speaking of Jaden Hair, by the way, her new cookbook should be shipping any day now. I have one on pre-order, and I can hardly wait.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Beachside View Post
    Sugar
    Sara Moulton

Don't expect I'll be playing though...supposed to be getting my countertop installed next week, plus I still don't feel like cooking...lost my cooking mojo...hope it'll come back once I'm feeling more energetic, and of course with actual countertops to work on instead of the temp plywood
    Darn Susan, how are we going to get your cooking mojo back for you? Please Susan, for me and your friends here, make something this week. I don't care if it fits in with the game, or how simple and easy it is. Just make SOMETHING !!!!!!! OK? For us, please? Pretty please? Pretty please with SUGAR on it.?

SHRIMP!!!!!!
    Steven Raichlen
    Sage
    Salt
    Seafood
    Steak
    Sweet Potatoes
    Spinach
    Sugar
    Spice
    Sara Moulton
    Soup

Have any to add

Quote Originally Posted by Heather SD View Post
    Here is my recipe to try for this week which is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Fresh Food Fast. I've never had a bad meal from this book. It falls under the S catigory for stew.
    I'm also planning on making fresh lasagna (from my to try folder) but I haven't decided on a recipe yet.

Winter Vegetable Stew with Maple-Glazed Tofu
    Hi Heather, congratulations on your crepes. Did you have fun? Did you stuff them or anything?

Your right, how could I forget STEW. Thanks for the rec. for the book. Let us know how the stew comes out

SHRIMP!!!!!!
    Steven Raichlen
    Sage
    Salt
    Seafood
    Steak
    Sweet Potatoes
    Spinach
    Sugar
    Spice
    Sara Moulton
    Soup
    Stew
    "Steamy Kitchen"
    Sahni, Julie
    Saucy, Oliver
    Sax, Richard
    Schlesinger, Chris
    Schmidt, Jimmy
    Shulman, Martha Rose
    Simmons, Marie
    Simonds, Nina
    Soltner, Andre
    Spieler, Marlena
    Stern, Jane and Michael
    Stewart, Martha
    Stitt, Frank
    Susser, Allen

Have any to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    And I'll throw in Steamy Kitchen, the web site and cookbook(s) by one of my favorite authors, Jaden Hair.

I really will get back to cooking some new Stuff for the game this week. But so far I've been Sidelined by hideous weather keeping me from the store, a meal out with friends (postponed from my birthday because of even more hideous weather in December), and ... laziness. (I hope I made that small enough so you couldn't read it.)

Speaking of Jaden Hair, by the way, her new cookbook should be shipping any day now. I have one on pre-order, and I can hardly wait.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Wow Phoebe, I didn't realize you were having such bad weather. You still haven't had your Birthday meal? No, you didn't make that small enough. What am I going to do with you and Susan?

Chalk up another one for DH. This was dinner last night. He cut the recipe in half. He didn't use all the sage the recipe called for. We have a little sage plant and he didn't want to strip it too much. All in all, I would just give this one a "Good" rating.

S is for SAGE-also "To Try" binder-13 years is long enough

Pork Burgers with Sage
    SERVINGS: 8
    •STAFF-FAVORITE

Use ground pork butt for juicier, more flavorful burgers, ground pork loin for leaner ones.

1/2 cup dry Marsala
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 1/2 pounds ground pork
    3 tablespoons minced fresh sage
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon pimentón (see Note)
    Pure olive oil, for brushing
    8 hamburger buns

1. In a small saucepan, combine the Marsala and salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced by one-third, about 4 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
    2. In a large bowl, gently mix the pork with the Marsala, sage, pepper and pimentón until evenly seasoned. Shape the meat into 8 thick burgers.
    3. Light the grill. Lightly brush the burgers on both sides with olive oil and grill over a moderately hot fire for about 6 minutes per side, or until nicely browned outside and barely pink inside. Serve hot, on the hamburger buns.

Notes Pimentón, a smoked Spanish paprika, is available at specialty markets.

Source: Food & Wine-July 2000

I am playing this week! I pulled this recipe out of the to-try folder for breakfast tomorrow. It is from Everyday Food May 2009.

Cinnamon-Oat Pancakes
    2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    2 cups milk
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for skillet
    In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and 1 cup oats and pulse a few times to coarsely grind oats. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and oil. Add dry ingredients and 1 cup oats and whisk just until moistened. Heat a large skillet (nonstick or cast-iron) or griddle over medium. Lightly oil skillet. Using 2 to 3 tablespoons for each pancake, drop batter in skillet and cook until a few bubbles have burst, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook until browned on undersides, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with more oil and batter.

Wow Phoebe, I didn't realize you were having such bad weather. You still haven't had your Birthday meal? No, you didn't make that small enough. What am I going to do with you and Susan?
    Well, I did get some shrimp at the store today, so I'll be looking for those shrimp recipes this weekend, plus whatever other goodies I can come up with. You know how much I love this game! But tonight I just need some comfort food: a big bowl of spaghetti (okay, an "S," but not a recipe, just a throw-in-the pot) with marinara sauce. Maybe with some olives in it.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Well, I did get some shrimp at the store today, so I'll be looking for those shrimp recipes this weekend, plus whatever other goodies I can come up with. You know how much I love this game! But tonight I just need some comfort food: a big bowl of spaghetti (okay, an "S," but not a recipe, just a throw-in-the pot) with marinara sauce. Maybe with some olives in it.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Hi Phoebe, please check your PM

Ok, this is embarrassing. First, DH cut back on the Wasabi. (protecting me) Second, after the fact, I found out the Wasabi was 10 years old.. I made a note on the recipe to make this again when we get fresh wasabi. I could not taste it at all. It was really very, very good, especially the sauce. I also think it was so good because he used thighs which were not as dry as breasts. Don't skip the green onions.
    Hmm, so it sounds like I should find some 10 year old wasabi, cut back on it, and I'll probably like it!

Thanks cookieee!

Have any to add?
    Saute

Salsa
    Sauce
    Smoothies
    Swiss (as in cheese/or steak)
    Salad

I think I am playing the word-game version this week

More possibilities:

Spanish
    Sicilian
    Southwest
    Solomon, Jay
    Sauerkraut

Susan's right ... even playing the word-game part of the game is fun!

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Susan's right ... even playing the word-game part of the game is fun!

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Sweet
    Sour
    Scallops
    Salmon
    s'mores

WoooHooo......cookieee--time to WAKE up --it is a beautiful sunny & chilly day in Florida...time to warm up your fingers by adding to the list Phoebe & I are playing our version of the game while you are snoozin'

Actually I have done some cooking today...I toasted an English Muffin...melted some SWISS cheese on the halves, then topped with tomato SLICES and popped under the broiler...oh I also cooked up some bacon to crisp and put them on top...so my SWISS cheese/tomato SLICES count...as a non-recipe?

Pancakes for breakfast! I wanted these to have more texture and a bigger taste, but they were good and slightly different. Increase cinnamon? Use part ww flour? Soak oats overnight? But I ate 3 and have 6 for freezing. I think with a few changes, these would be good without syrup, but I ate them with it this morning. But, Beachside, your breakfast sounds divine, too. From the student union snack bar in college, I used to get a poppy bagel with loads of green peppers and cheddar cheese stuck under the broiler. Yum!