Community Message Boards

Thread: Red WIne Vinegar Mother

Red WIne Vinegar Mother

I want to make my own vinegar. I can't find a supplier for the mother (starter) anywhere in Texas. When I checked online sources, the cost of the starter was $15.99 and the cheapest shipping option was $31. This is for an 8 oz bottle?

If someone has a mother they can sell, spare, trade for a bottle or two in a few months time, I'd be happy to pay for the shipping assuming USPS priority rates. If you know of a supplier here in Central Texas, I'd love that information.

Thanks

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

How to make your own vinegar mother.

http://blog.makezine.com/craft/in_th...th_jarod_make/

You can buy a vinegar and keep it for a bit; it will create a mother if there are good cultures in it.
    Colavita is the one I had and yikes on the size of the mother it grew!!
    I am happy to send it to you if you want, but it is cheaper to buy and grow your own at home.

Remember there are good bacteria in the air. Leave a bottle of wine open and check in a few months.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

LeaHamm and Wallycat, thank you both so much. Every article I came up with told me where to buy it but not how to make it.

Why is it that something new is so challenging? I make sourdough starter from wild yeast. It makes perfect sense that I could make my own vinegar mother yet never even thought about it.

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet