Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about cod

Question about cod

Is cod a smelly fish?

I bought some at Costco 2 weekends ago on a Saturday. Plans changed and I tossed it in the freezer that Sunday, which was a couple of days before its sell by date. I did notice the car smelled a little fishy on the way home.

Everytime I open the freezer, all I can smell is fish now. Is it a particulary smelly fish? It doesn't smell bad, just smells like fish. Hoping it doesn't mean it is bad ... but it is frozen.
    Maria

Cod is not a smelly fish. Fresh fish doesn't smell so you would notice it driving home from the store and certainly not stink up your freezer.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Cod should definitely not smell and no fresh fish should smell "fishy". Fresh fish should smell delightfully of the sea.

I would take the fish back to Costco and return it.

I would take it back too. I try to be careful when I buy fish from supermarkets because sometimes it's not as fresh as it should be. I've had some really pungent filets in the past. If it's just slightly fishy smelling you can get rid of that odor with a light sprinkling of ginger; a neighbor whose husband fished all the time taught me that. I rub a little bit of ginger into the fish and that takes care of it. But this sounds like it's beyond slightly!

I do have some shad from last year in my freezer, and that has an odor. Shad is a strong smelling fish to begin with, and a friend got me more than I wanted so we haven't used it up yet. I will still try cooking it, though, because we love it; just not too frequently!
    Chacun à son goût!

If you bought it fresh and let it sit for a day or two in the fridge, and then froze it...it would smell. Fish goes off quickly.
    I had to laugh when our neighbor, whom DH goes fishing with, complained about the "pinks" as being inferior. Then I heard what he did with them when they catch them....

I have had fish that smelled strongly directly from the store and I always wonder what happened...once, I actually cooked it up and ate it and it was fine, but the smell was very unpleasant (pre-learning about fish)...

If it is from costco, you can easily take it back. They are wonderful about customer service.
    I will say that I have had some of the oilier fish (though cod is not nearly as oily as sable fish or salmon, but still on the oily side) have a scent. Not everyone can get uber-fresh fish and noone can know what happens on a boat when it is caught/flash frozen. If you bought yours fresh from Costco, you have no idea how long it was there.

When I lived in WI, the fish people hated me. Here they thought they were doing this great thing offering "fresh" fish and I always asked.."do you have any of that still frozen?" I still do it!!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I have bought cod from Whole Foods before when it seemed to be very fresh, and yet it did have kind of a fishy smell to it. Just had it happen last week when I made fish tacos. We went ahead and used it anyway, and the tacos were amazing and the fish tasted VERY fresh, so I'm not sure why it seems to have more of a scent than other fish. Not sure if that is necessarily how it is supposed to be, but we have lived to tell about it.

Thanks everyone. If Costco truly has good customer service, then I will try taking it back. It just smells too fishy when I open the freezer door and I've never had fish smell like that before. Less than fresh w as my first guess.
    Maria

I agree with the 'take it back' comments. We freeze a lot of salmon and halibut and lesser amounts of cod, rockfish, and other species every year and our freezer never smells fishy. Smelly fish does not sound good.
    Anne