Community Message Boards

Thread: weird symptoms - your thoughts?

weird symptoms - your thoughts?

The day before DH was hospitalized with his heart event, I woke up with a heavy chest and dry cough, like I had a chest cold. I felt tired and rested that day and ran a low grade fever on and off. No other symptoms other than maybe post-nasal drip. (I have that so much I'm not sure it was a symptom.) I stayed with DH in the hospital, wore myself out, and lost my voice for a day. Lots of dry coughing with very little phlegm for days and low grade fever on and off, plus swollen glands. Then I noticed red nodules on the back of my throat. Finally went to the doctor, mainly because I was worried about DH getting sick, and he prescribed a Z-Pak which I took for 5 days, because he said the red nodules indicated bacterial infection. I slowly got better, but the coughing was the worst. It kept me up at night and was difficult to control and continued to be an unproductive cough for the most part, but I got better each day. The antibiotic said I would continue to feel better even after I stopped taking it, which indicated to me it was still in my system, so I wasn't worried when I still had a little sore throat and still had some of the red nodules because I was clearly getting better. That was 5 days ago. Still have the red nodules and now a worse sore throat. Not terrible, but my tonsil on one side is swollen. No fever though.

So what could this be? It doesn't have any of the strep symptoms. I've never had anything like this before. I actually wondered about mono but I don't think the heavy chest and cough are symptoms of that. Naturally my sore throat returned on Friday evening so I can't even go back to the doctor. And really I don't feel sick so I'm not sure I would yet. It's just weird.. not like a cold, not like the flu.

Did they run a culture of your throat?
    I had a non typical strep that required Ceftin to knock it out twice and have never gotten it back (since my 30s).

Allergies have started and some people get low grade, run down type feelings. Pollen is certainly around here.
    Post nasal drip can cause a reddish, sore throat.

If you aren't feeling better, you should go back since it can be anything.
    I am sorry you are going through all of this.
    Do post back and let us know.

I did hear of several people who developed GERD (which can be stress related) who had no other symptom than the red throat...but no mention of fever.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks Ana. Whatever it is, I'm starting to feel a bit of that heaviness in my upper chest again and needing to cough. I think I must be relapsing. My throat isn't really red, it just has these red bumps on the back of it. I will call the dr and see what he says.

You need to go back to the Dr. because sometimes you just don't get better or something else crops up that specific drugs don't help.

I would definitely get a strep test (he prescribed the zpak without one?)

I doubt it's mono, as that symptom is unbearable fatigue - like, can't get out of bed, or i could fall asleep standing up - fatigue.

Have you ever been Dx with asthma? Viral induced asthma can cause the cough and heaviness you describe.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

No culture/strep test. He just looked at my throat and and said it was bacterial and I needed an antibiotic. It just seems strange to me I never had any cold symptoms. Oh well, I guess just some sort of bug. Someone told me today that there was something going around Miami with these symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by kerryvis View Post
    i don't know about it.
    reported