Community Message Boards
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tipping Question

Quote Originally Posted by ccooney View Post
    Actually, it's exactly the same.
    No it's not, because anybody can bring out food without a high school diploma even, but a computer programmer has to have college years before she or he can become one. You sound not very intelligent.

Even a 6yr old can tell the difference between a chicken sandwich and ribs for example. A 6yr old can't write computer code(not counting those child prodigys of course that may have the rare ability to have a very high IQ of course). I am talking about your average child.

Do you think he/she should be able to tell the difference just by looking at it? It's possible, I suppose; the hollandaise should be a little yellower. Or did you want the wait person to taste it first just to be sure?
    Of course if it's a different color. You know for example what honey mustard looks like compared to ranch. On the other hand, bleu cheese is kind of hard to compare to ranch that the server may not know unless she or he touched it.

Quote Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
    Of course if it's a different color. You know for example what honey mustard looks like compared to ranch. On the other hand, bleu cheese is kind of hard to compare to ranch that the server may not know unless she or he touched it.
    Yah, well blue cheese versus ranch/bechamel versus hollandaise - I have that problem all the time. Guess that's what happens since I'm not very intelligent.
    Connie

Oh, and by the way, I do have "college years." Many of them. And experience at waitressing to boot.
    Exactly the same.
    Last edited by ccooney; 02-24-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    And here's another one. Let's hope she fades far, far, away.

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Springs1

Love the name -encyclopedia dramatica!
    LOL! Hey, back in my working days I worked in both a Subway and a pizza shop. Perhaps that makes me **more** qualified to talk about tipping servers than someone with a background in the donut industry. I would get dollar tips from the little old ladies who bought pizza for their grandkids. It was only once in a blue moon, because it was a take-away place, no reason for tips. But I always felt uncomfortable when one of them would hand me a dollar.

It must be Sunday night and I have little to do to ponder such facets of life.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Oh, and by the way, I do have "college years." Many of them. And experience at waitressing to boot.
    Exactly the same.
    NO, in that you don't need *ANY* college years to figure out mac n' cheese isn't a baked potato, but yet a stupid, dumb waiter that TOOK MY ORDER brought me mac n' cheese.

NO, in that you don't need *ANY* college years to figure out mac n' cheese isn't a baked potato, but yet a stupid, dumb waiter that TOOK MY ORDER brought me mac n' cheese.
    But you might need experience to realize that if maybe a waiter/waitress has worked the 3rd double shift in a row, or just pulled an all-nighter studying, or had a sick child that kept them up all night, or maybe had a family member just dxed with a devastating illness so that maybe they could take the mac and cheese to table #16 instead of table #17, because well....$h!t happens and sometimes it happens not because someone is "stupid and dumb" but because their mind is FULL. It doesn't mean they don't "CARE" about you or are lazy or stupid. It *might* mean that even though you are their customer and they are waiting on you, that their life doesn't revolve around YOU.

However, I wouldn't expect you to understand any of that, because that takes empathy and clearly, your world revolves around you and you only. Anyone who had the time to build an "internet legend" of complaining, or as every waitstaff's "worst nightmare", clearly does not have to tend to "real life."

I'm so glad I have other things in my life to get me riled up about than a waitress making a mistake, because I think bitching about waitstaff all the time would make me feel shallow, dumb, and basically worthless. Instead, I'll worry about grant funding issues, program development, and meaningful data analysis to answer to deal with actual educational research/questions.

OK, I'll stop feeding the troll.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

First of all, I can't believe our regulars have been feeding into Springs1, the way you have.

Secondly, who says DUHH, now? Isn't that just a wee bit passe`?

And Lastly. we do a straight 20%. We had a waitress tonight, that 3 hours later, I am still wondering about. asked for salads before meal. She obliged and brought the meal 2 minutes later. Thank You, ma'am. We asked for EXTRA butter and jelly for biscuits, (LATE GETTING THERE) it was a messed up meal... and these were only a FEW of the problems.Minor annoyances, I understand,but this girl really acted out of it. And she still got her 20%.

We do the credit card for the restaurant and leave cash on the table for the waitress because we do not know how much they are penalized when the tip is added to the charge.

The last time this subject came up, I was literally yelled at for saying that when the 18% gratuity is added for groups, that our server loses because we would have normally tipped 20%. I was told by members of this board that I should have left the 2% on the table for the server. I didn't respond,but thought...Really,for the entire group? I find it interesting that it is not an issue, now.

But Springs 1 .....REALLY?

OH, and this https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Springs1 WAS hilarious! I mean I laughed out loud at the end.
    Last edited by jmarie; 02-25-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    We asked for butter and jelly for biscuits, (never came) asked for ketchup with burger, (TWICE)... and these were only a FEW of the problems.Minor annoyances, I understand,but this girl really acted out of it. And she still got her 20%.
    THAT is what CAUSES LAZY, UNCARING IDIOTS! YOU ARE PAYING THEM TO MESS UP ON PURPOSE TO BE LAZY AND NOT TRY THEIR BEST, WHY?

Have you ever heard of positive and negative reinforcement? It works a lot of times. You reward when they do a good job and you punish(leave a bad tip or no tip) for when they do a bad job. You never took psychology have you?

Lady you are going to give yourself a heart attack one of these days if you get yourself so worked up over someone you don't care about. If you don't feel like tipping then don't. If I feel like tipping I will.

While not in restaurants I work a second job seasonally where it is customary to receive tips at the end of the season. I put my heart and soul into the job, often risking my life and/ or serious injury either getting there or during work for which I'm paid not much more than minimum wage. Just yesterday i was in a situation that sent me sliding down a snow slope towards a tree in order to protect the child I was working with. I spend off time writing emails to families and planning upcoming days. I appreciate tips when I get them. I don't expect them. But, on the other hand, I've had parents aka customers step in to help me on a bad day. Like the day I was hit by a random person. Or when another customer is hurt and I need to tend to them.

You see, caring goes two ways. And people talk. If you treat servers in your town the way I suspect you do then you are likely not only a legend on the internet but in the restaurant circles in your town.

Chill out, life is too good to waste on the small stuff. And this is most certainly the small stuff.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

No, but springs1, I will share these thoughts with you before bowing out.

1. The girl tonight acted like she was out of it. (Like she had really had a bad day,or might even be ill.) We were annoyed, but hid it, because we felt badly for her. We were in good company and made the best of a bad situation, as I think she already felt bad enough.

2. I HAVE OFTEN WONDERED WHAT A TROLL WAS....I NOW KNOW.

3.(I'll bite) THE GOP IS THE GRAND OLD PARTY= REPUBLICAN PARTY.

4. She annoyed me, but you literally make me sick.

5. You are about 14 years old. I know that you are just playing. This is a very sick game for you. GROW UP.

Goodnight. You really should be in bed by now..... school comes early tomorrow. DUHHH
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Hey Springs!

How about a buffet restaurant? Then you don't have to worry about the servers and you can get things exactly the way you like them!

And, just to add, I will not receive a tip for putting myself in harm's way yesterday as I was filling in for someone else who would receive any end I'd season tips. Doesn't matter. I still cared for the customer I was protecting.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by angelina View Post
    hey springs!

How about a buffet restaurant? Then you don't have to worry about the servers and you can get things exactly the way you like them!

**********snort**********

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    5. You are about 14 years old. I know that you are just playing. This is a very sick game for you. GROW UP.
    No, I am SERIOUSLY 35yrs old, for REAL! Born in 1977. I remember the days of (barely, but I remember) the show "The Electric Company", does that tell you I REALLY AM 35yrs old, huh? Back in the days when Mister Rogers had the trolly number at the end. When Mr. Cooper died on Sesame Street, it was a huge ordeal. NOW do you believe me?

school comes early tomorrow. DUHHH
    NO, WORK!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    Hey Springs!

I don't want to always eat at those. You end up eating too much at times at those things. There's still service at most with initial first drinks, refills, and some with the check as well. Cici's pizza I would say is one of the ones that has zero service. Most have "SOME" service though. I don't really count them taking dishes at buffets, because I sit at large enough tables where I stack my dishes and don't really care if anyone takes them or not. I could care less if they take them or leave them. It doesn't bother me any. That's also MY opinion on it. Some people it may bother them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    If you treat servers in your town the way I suspect you do
    HOW do you expect me to? I am VERY NICE, actually *NICER* than they are to me. I still tell them "thank you" when they forgot something, but NO SORRY 95% of the times for their mistakes. FOR REAL and I am not mean 99.9% of the times there are mistakes. The .1% is when you could easily tell the plate has like 4-5 mistakes like they didn't even LOOK at my food, I have lost my cool a couple of times because it shows how LITTLE they "CARE" about what they are giving you. Like if the food had bugs all on top of it, they wouldn't care, they'd still give it to you, because they are so self-centered about caring JUST about their tip and acting like we are money bags instead of HUMAN BEINGS with REAL FEELINGS.

3 things

1) my guess is that you waited til you were 25 because no one wanted to have sex with a mean spirited troll.

2) my second guess I'd bet you get served wrong on purpose. I would *love* to see what else is in your food that you don't know about

3) my homemade food is better than many restaurants, as told to me by multiple professionals. So suck it Trebek.
    "I worry that you don't worry enough"--another worrier aka the Yarn Harlot

We eat out because we rarely cook and I don't even know how to cook most things, even when I have tried, it came out horribly. I personally find restaurant food *TASTES* better in my personal opinion than ANYBODY'S home cooked food.
    My husband would beg to differ... but then, I am a chef ;D

I eat out rarely. Except for my ramen/pho addiction.
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Spring1,what is with this " DUHHH. "

Did you get lost in a time warp?

If you treat the servers the way you have treated us, as strangers, then you are, in fact, not being nice. Your repeated use of "DUH" and all caps, bold, underline and large fonts is childish and uncalled for. One can have an intelligent, respectful discussion regarding tipping and restaurant service without the attitude and sweeping stereotypes. You are obviously only looking to scream and yell and not attempt to determine why you have the issues you do in restaurants.

Wow. I did something today I've never done before.

Reported.

This is not the place for graphic sex. Good morning to me!
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Robyn, we agree!

Plus, I have another idea. For as much as this person dines out, the cost has to be astronomical!

Personal Chef! This person can then serve themselves! And honestly, I think spring1 is a guy.(Well, boy/child)
    Spent too much time defending babies/pregnancy.

http://jewelz1313.hubpages.com/hub/Tip-it

Go here if you would like to read spring1's conversation without all of
    the screaming. This link above is from 13 months ago, (strangely, spring1 is citing
    things that happened all the way back to 2005. )

This person must have journaled the restaurant experiences
    and perfected the yelling in Word. There is NO way she could have written those posts in the
    short amount of time that she did, yesterday without copying and pasting.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Leebee, I've already reported, three times, which is also a first for me, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I don't understand why veteran posters are continuing to try to reason with someone who's patently unreasonable, though....
    Well, everyone needs a hobby! I admit to finding it a little entertaining until things degenerated too far. When it grows tiresome AND gets a little too graphic, it's a problem.

But I also will admit to reading some of the links posted above. Whew!
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    Well, everyone needs a hobby! I admit to finding it a little entertaining until things degenerated too far. When it grows tiresome AND gets a little too graphic, it's a problem.

But I also will admit to reading some of the links posted above. Whew!
    I think I find it hilarious because it's a topic that most people on the CLBB - and probably in the US - more or less agree upon. Therefore, no one has any skin in the game emotionally in terms of what is being said so one can just sit back and read what is obviously the ranting of someone with issues that have nothing to do with their real interactions with wait people.

How can one treat the rantings of someone who eats at what are probably mediocre type restaurants and states that the food is better than ANY home cooking I very much doubt the author of these posts is dining at Daniel Boloud's establishments or any other world class eateries. Much quibbling about sides of BBQ sauce.

And who but a lunatic would then post hilarious posts on how people who might have a sick child shouldn't have children - and the rest of that lunatic post. That's even crazier than Todd Akins on rape. and then to veer off into her ode to masturbation was the maraschino cherry on the sundae of her dysfunction.

Everyone has a bad experience at a restaurant every now and then. A server will forget something or put in the wrong order. We once received a $50 gift card to use at On the Border/Macaroni Grill (and whatever other restaurants are associated with these companies. We only went to the 2 I mentioned, though. That $50 lasted us probably a good 5-6 meals because a couple of our meals were messed up and we received our meals free - we were seated after some other people who came after us, bringing meals to others who came in well after us before our meals, they ran out of something vegetarian for my husband.... Not once did we get so irate over any of these situations. They righted the situation by not charging us. We always left a tip. We never got mad, but rather, just laughed because that gift card seemed like the gift that kept on giving.

Everyone has a bad day and everyone makes mistakes. It doesn't make them uncaring or stupid. It makes them human. It must be a full time job to make sure you never make a mistake in your life and fault everyone else who does.

I just don't know how any one person could possibly encounter so much trouble eating out, regardless of how much you eat out. If you are, I think you need to look at the common denominator in every situation (FYI -- it's you).

Back to the OT.

We tip generously, usually more than 20%, because we typically get exceptional service. But we're nice, and a lot of fun to wait on. We're patient, accommodating, and grateful. The thing that puts me in a generous mood is being nice (not fakey, but sincerely) to my kids. You are a star if you make them feel special. We have a couple of places we are regulars, and one is a chain-family-type place. Not stellar food, but we know what we're getting, and the basics are good. They hire the best staff--I have NEVER had a rude waitperson there, and they will bend over backwards to make us happy. Last month I left a $10 tip on a $25 ticket, because I was feeling generous & flush. The young lady that served us was so sweet, so nice, & I just wanted to leave extra. She actually followed me out thinking I left too much. I told her we understood how hard they work, and just wanted her to know we appreciate her. She teared up & said, "Thanks. That means a lot." And I know it does.

So, I guess I'm lucky--all the caring and hard-working wait-people live in my town! Who knew?