Community Message Boards
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tipping Question

Wow. I did something today I've never done before.

Reported.

This is not the place for graphic sex. Good morning to me!
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Robyn, we agree!

Plus, I have another idea. For as much as this person dines out, the cost has to be astronomical!

Personal Chef! This person can then serve themselves! And honestly, I think spring1 is a guy.(Well, boy/child)
    Spent too much time defending babies/pregnancy.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    Wow. I did something today I've never done before.

Reported.

This is not the place for graphic sex. Good morning to me!
    Leebee, I've already reported, three times, which is also a first for me, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I don't understand why veteran posters are continuing to try to reason with someone who's patently unreasonable, though....
    Chacun à son goût!

http://jewelz1313.hubpages.com/hub/Tip-it

Go here if you would like to read spring1's conversation without all of
    the screaming. This link above is from 13 months ago, (strangely, spring1 is citing
    things that happened all the way back to 2005. )

This person must have journaled the restaurant experiences
    and perfected the yelling in Word. There is NO way she could have written those posts in the
    short amount of time that she did, yesterday without copying and pasting.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Leebee, I've already reported, three times, which is also a first for me, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I don't understand why veteran posters are continuing to try to reason with someone who's patently unreasonable, though....
    Well, everyone needs a hobby! I admit to finding it a little entertaining until things degenerated too far. When it grows tiresome AND gets a little too graphic, it's a problem.

But I also will admit to reading some of the links posted above. Whew!
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    Well, everyone needs a hobby! I admit to finding it a little entertaining until things degenerated too far. When it grows tiresome AND gets a little too graphic, it's a problem.

But I also will admit to reading some of the links posted above. Whew!
    I think I find it hilarious because it's a topic that most people on the CLBB - and probably in the US - more or less agree upon. Therefore, no one has any skin in the game emotionally in terms of what is being said so one can just sit back and read what is obviously the ranting of someone with issues that have nothing to do with their real interactions with wait people.

How can one treat the rantings of someone who eats at what are probably mediocre type restaurants and states that the food is better than ANY home cooking I very much doubt the author of these posts is dining at Daniel Boloud's establishments or any other world class eateries. Much quibbling about sides of BBQ sauce.

And who but a lunatic would then post hilarious posts on how people who might have a sick child shouldn't have children - and the rest of that lunatic post. That's even crazier than Todd Akins on rape. and then to veer off into her ode to masturbation was the maraschino cherry on the sundae of her dysfunction.

Everyone has a bad experience at a restaurant every now and then. A server will forget something or put in the wrong order. We once received a $50 gift card to use at On the Border/Macaroni Grill (and whatever other restaurants are associated with these companies. We only went to the 2 I mentioned, though. That $50 lasted us probably a good 5-6 meals because a couple of our meals were messed up and we received our meals free - we were seated after some other people who came after us, bringing meals to others who came in well after us before our meals, they ran out of something vegetarian for my husband.... Not once did we get so irate over any of these situations. They righted the situation by not charging us. We always left a tip. We never got mad, but rather, just laughed because that gift card seemed like the gift that kept on giving.

Everyone has a bad day and everyone makes mistakes. It doesn't make them uncaring or stupid. It makes them human. It must be a full time job to make sure you never make a mistake in your life and fault everyone else who does.

I just don't know how any one person could possibly encounter so much trouble eating out, regardless of how much you eat out. If you are, I think you need to look at the common denominator in every situation (FYI -- it's you).

Back to the OT.

We tip generously, usually more than 20%, because we typically get exceptional service. But we're nice, and a lot of fun to wait on. We're patient, accommodating, and grateful. The thing that puts me in a generous mood is being nice (not fakey, but sincerely) to my kids. You are a star if you make them feel special. We have a couple of places we are regulars, and one is a chain-family-type place. Not stellar food, but we know what we're getting, and the basics are good. They hire the best staff--I have NEVER had a rude waitperson there, and they will bend over backwards to make us happy. Last month I left a $10 tip on a $25 ticket, because I was feeling generous & flush. The young lady that served us was so sweet, so nice, & I just wanted to leave extra. She actually followed me out thinking I left too much. I told her we understood how hard they work, and just wanted her to know we appreciate her. She teared up & said, "Thanks. That means a lot." And I know it does.

So, I guess I'm lucky--all the caring and hard-working wait-people live in my town! Who knew?