Community Message Boards

Thread: Chicken Kabobs with Greek Barley Salad (Barleyfoods.org)

Chicken Kabobs with Greek Barley Salad (Barleyfoods.org)

I made this recpe over the weekend and I thought it was quite good. It has some of my favoite ingredients/flavors. lemon, feta ....

I didn't follow the recipe exactly,cut back the qty, kind of winged the marinade amounts etc. I left out the olives since I hate them (yes hate )

A pretty typical greek type chicken dish. I did like using barley in the side dish.

Chicken Kabobs with Greek Barley Salad

Dressing/marinade (makes about 3/4 cup)
    1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/3 cup olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
    1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Salad
    3 cups cooked pearl barley, cooking directions follow
    1 can (13-3/4 ounces) artichoke hearts, chopped
    1 cup pitted kalamata olives
    1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/2 cup chopped parsley

Grilled chicken skewers
    16 wooden skewers soaked in water
    8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes

Combine dressing/marinade ingredients in small bowl; set aside. Combine salad ingredients in large bowl. Drizzle 1/2 cup dressing/marinade over salad and mix well. Place chicken in sealable plastic bag; pour in remaining dressing/marinade. Seal bag and turn over to coat chicken pieces. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade and thread onto skewers. Grill or broil 4 to 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. To serve, place a portion of salad on plate and top with 2 chicken skewers.

Nutrients per serving: calories 542; protein 58g; carbohydrates 24g; dietary fiber 3g; fat 22g; cholesterol 159mg; sodium 741mg.
    (Makes 8 servings)

To cook pearl barley
    In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl barley; return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Makes about 3 to 3-1/2 cups. Place any extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze for up to 1 week. Add cooked barley to soups, stews, casseroles and salads for extra fiber and flavor. For best results, bring refrigerated or frozen cooked barley to room temperature before using.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 03-04-2013 at 10:26 AM.