Community Message Boards

Thread: Round steak, thinly sliced: recipes???

Question Round steak, thinly sliced: recipes???

Last night I sliced a couple of pounds of top round on the grain and am in search for a new recipe. I have my go-to favorites, Beef stroganoff at the top, but would like some inspiration.
    I often use it in place of high quality beef , stir frying, and putting aside till the rest of the ingredients and all cooked and returning at last minute.
    BTW: I bought two packets on sale and the other one was dry and tasteless. It started as stew but I cut it down till bite pieces to make a good soup. I guess you get what you pay for.

Any recipe recommendations?

Could you make Satay's? Or steak salad?

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Could you make Satay's? Or steak salad?
    Both are great thoughts. I am not fond of the peanut sauce and would look for a different dipping sauce. It's beautiful out today for grilling.

Bul go gi? CL had a good recipe a few years ago
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

I've always wanted to make Philly cheesesteaks. I've never tried it, but here is a yummy looking CL recipe.

Philly Cheesesteaks/

Thank you all. I have bought lots of ingredients to go Thai.
    Gilgamesh: I have a recipe close to yours that one one of my go-to choices. I saute onions and mushrooms to combine - love the Korean blend of ginger, garlic, soy. My recipe won blue ribbon at NYS Fair for best Low carb dish.
    Philly steaks - used to make them often

Review: I marinated the beef in the wonderful bath of flavor before I grilled it on a cedar plank and combined with grilled mushrooms. Flavor was wonderful but the beef was tough. At least it was thin sliced.
    I am going to put the left overs in the crockpot with some sherry and add a few mild veggies and serve over rice.
    Last edited by margeslp; 05-18-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Here is the steak salad recipe I tweeked. My problem as I stated was this was poor quality beef. I loved all the mint in this recipe:
    Thai beef salad
    Don't serve this dish just as an appetizer because it's delicious any time. Using fairly common ingredients, this recipe is quick and easy with little clean up.
    1-lb decent quality steak, sirlion or other
    10(or more) "prik kee noo" (fresh hot Thai chile peppers), slice crosswise very thin(or substitute jalepenos or serrano chiles,minced)
    2 large cloves garlic, sliced crosswise very thin
    1 Tbsp. sugar
    5 Tbsp. fish sauce
    5 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice(1 medium size lime)
    1 head Bibb or Boston; or 1 heart of Romaine
    12 sprigs fresh mint(optional), remove the leaves and discard the stems
    1/2 Hot House cucumber or 1 small cucumber(seeds removed), peeled and sliced thin
    2 to 3 shallots, sliced crosswise very thin or 1 small red onion, sliced very thin
    3 or 4 sprigs cilantro, stems removed
    Grill or broil the steak until medium-rare. Trim off any fat. Cool and slice thin, into pieces approx. 2 inches across and 1/8 inch thick.
    Mix garlic, chiles, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar in a small bowl. Add the sliced meat and toss with the cucumbers and shallots. Taste and add more fish sauce if desired.
    Make a bed of the lettuce on a serving plate. Place the beef on top. Garnish with cilantro. Serves 2 to 3 as an appetier or as part of a meal.

Thats my go to for braising in the crock

Love these recipes for that

Korean Beef Tacos

http://crockpot365.blogspot.ca/2011/...eef-tacos.html

French Dip Sandwiches

http://crockpot365.blogspot.ca/2008/...andwiches.html

I also love making Bibimbap, which I would also use thinly sliced beef for

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Home-51140460