Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veggie Garden 2013

Veggie Garden 2013

I thought I had already read/started something of this nature for 2013 but maybe not I just wanted to see what everyone's gardens are up to.

My garlic seems happy. Strawberries are late! I'm just getting flowers. The last couple of years we were almost done by now. Asparagus is doing good, maybe slowing down some. I have onions, carrots, soybeans, green beans, peas, beets, chard, romaine all coming up. Pretty happy with the volume. Filled in some spots that were missing soybeans.

My volunteer cilantro isn't as abundant as usual but I've resorted to putting down plastic to help control weeds so that is my trade off. I was stomping on my mint last night getting in and out of the garden was was wishing for a mojito with that heavenly smell!

I had to fence in my blueberry plants. The bunnies just won't leave them alone. What a pain but hopefully will help them grow. My blackberry plants are setting flowers which was a nice surprise. Seems a little early but is okay with me! Lastly, my grapes, knock on wood, are setting flowers too. I'm determined to net those this year because I'm pretty sure the birds were the culprits the last 2 years stealing my grapes. We were in Sonoma in late April and got a tutortial on grapevines. I'm feeling a little better about maintenance.

Anyone else?
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Sounds like you have a nice size garden. Mine is fairly small, but I'm able to grow something year round, so that makes it nice. Dill and parsley are going to seed. Will probably plant more basil when I pull them. Still have chard from the fall garden. Limited my summer planting to tomatoes and hot peppers.. About a third of the kitchen garden is planted for butterflies and hummers.

My garden isn't nearly that large either. I have strawberries in a pot (just planted last month so likely won't yield fruit until next year), and herbs in pots. The chives, parsley, oregano, thyme, sage and mint are thriving. The dill died, and the rosemary is not looking too good. The basil looks like something has been eating it! It has been chilly and I think basil likes hotter temps anyway.

My raised bed veggie garden has 6 different kinds of tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers, lettuce, squash and zucchini. So far all are growing well.

Parsley has been giving me fits. My seeds never germinated and when I've bought starters and planted them they don't died too. Any advice?

I have basil started down stairs under lights. I wanted a little more control over them then the 'chance' of them coming up out in the garden (besides the competition with the weeds!). Plus I like to plant them at the beginning and end of my tomato rows so having them as seedlings just helps. We had frost warnings this week so I haven't transplanted tomatoes and peppers yet. I have to get my corn in yet too. We will do a couple squash plants. My neighbor, bless his heart, grows eggplant but doesn't eat it so we score there.

You all are way ahead of me, but we've only had temps in the 60's for a couple of weeks. I've planted potatoes, peas, shallots, chard, kale, and spinach, and I'm waiting for a break in the rain (much needed!) to plant lettuce, carrots and beets. Beans will have to wait at least another week before its warm enough, as well as my squash and melons. Tomatoes and basil are waiting for a bit warmer weather to transplant (I only have 8 tomatoes, not 48). My chives, garlic chives and tarragon are growing beautifully, my plums are just beginning to bloom, and I'm thrilled that my two apple trees look like they're both going to bloom this year, since I only planted them in 2011. I'm a bit concerned that they may not bloom at the same time, however. We'll just have to wait and see. We have a CSA share this year, so I've cut way back on my veggie growing, and am hoping to have more flowers for cutting this year. There's still so much to do...
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

DH is the gardener in our family. I probably don't know all the stuff he's planted. I get to buy/select/vote for seeds and he deals with the minutia (aka: planting, tending, weeding). I swore I would get more involved, but every time I see the sun--blech.

Radishes
    Strawberries and Blueberries from last year
    Rhubarb
    spinach
    Broccoli
    Chard
    zucchini
    cukes
    tomato plant (no real hope it will survive, but he is determined),
    onions,
    cabbage,
    beans,
    pok choy,
    arugula,
    kale,
    oregano from last year and rosemary is BLOOMING from last year!
    and who knows what I am missing....
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Ours isn't even dug yet. Last two mornings, before yesterday, temps were33 degrees.
    Maybe today or tomorrow.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

We have fruit trees also. Our tart cherry is well established and is putting on fruit. Our orchard is young. This is just the 2nd year. It consists of 2 plum, a nectarine, 2 pear and 2 apple~orginially. We lost a tree and as embarrassing as it is to say, we have no idea what it was. I didn’t pay attention that the young man at the garden store removed all the tags. I’ve narrowed it down to one of the apple or the pear. My neighbor is a farmer and has fruit trees so I’ve been comparing our leaves to his since his are still tagged Our surviving trees all flowered even through the 2 freezes and countless frosts we had. Early on we put up awnings over the trees or I wrapped them with towels and sheets but as the season wore on they were left to defend for themselves. So here hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    Parsley has been giving me fits. My seeds never germinated and when I've bought starters and planted them they don't died too. Any advice?

I have basil started down stairs under lights. I wanted a little more control over them then the 'chance' of them coming up out in the garden (besides the competition with the weeds!). Plus I like to plant them at the beginning and end of my tomato rows so having them as seedlings just helps. We had frost warnings this week so I haven't transplanted tomatoes and peppers yet. I have to get my corn in yet too. We will do a couple squash plants. My neighbor, bless his heart, grows eggplant but doesn't eat it so we score there.

Sure! This is the parsley I've had the best luck with so far. It's the first year I have planted it (as a starter plant, not from seed) in a pot, and the first year it is growing in a mostly shady spot. Just gorgeous. However, this morning I went out to my herb pots to discover a chipmunk had dug through the basil pot and the strawberry pot!! :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga0829 View Post
    Sure! This is the parsley I've had the best luck with so far. It's the first year I have planted it (as a starter plant, not from seed) in a pot, and the first year it is growing in a mostly shady spot. Just gorgeous. However, this morning I went out to my herb pots to discover a chipmunk had dug through the basil pot and the strawberry pot!! :-(
    A very liberal sprinkling of ground black pepper deters squirrels, chipmunks, etc. Not birds though. I get the giant restaurant size pepper at Costco and sprinkle away all summer long. It also keeps the cats out of my raised beds. Sort of fun to watch them sneeze too

Quote Originally Posted by Soupandstew View Post
    A very liberal sprinkling of ground black pepper deters squirrels, chipmunks, etc. Not birds though. I get the giant restaurant size pepper at Costco and sprinkle away all summer long. It also keeps the cats out of my raised beds. Sort of fun to watch them sneeze too
    Cayenne works the same way unless you happen to have Cajun critters, then all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Cayenne works the same way unless you happen to have Cajun critters, then all bets are off.
    Funny.

I bought one parsley plant. It has 4 decent starters in it so I divided them up and planted them so here's hoping. While a the garden store they had a decent sized shallow pot filled with basil. I've never considered basically just sprinkling seeds over a pot of soil before. If I can find something suitable I may try this. Just so we have something up close to the house. We usually make tons of pesto and freeze them in 1/2 cup containers and enjoy it all winter.

I was able to plant tomatoes, peppers, broccoli (which I am worried it's a little late) brussels, pak choy and cabbage over the weekend. Had some serious weeding to do and can now see my chard. I transplanted a dozen cilantro volunteers too. I'm so excited

My bunny fence seems to be working.

Last year I had a big problem with the possums and rats eating tomatoes, oranges and everything but the jalapenos and eggplant. My local garden store sold me some granules based on coyote urine that didn't help at all. Maybe my local critters don't know what coyotes are. Or maybe they are so large they don't worry about coyotes.

That would be tough to combat. It's not very practical to try to fence in tomatoes. I usually have a fence clear around my garden but it's to keep the dogs out of it. Rats et al wouldn't let that stop them. You may want to try putting out rubber snakes to see if that makes a difference. Good luck.

I checked on my seedlings under the grow light and was pleasantly surprised to have sprouts so that should take care of my squash. The basil wasn't doing much but I thought I saw some pushing up thru the soil. Happy day!

Ahh, late May in central Texas. I don't try too hard, but so far here's what's happening:
    Dill and cilantro have had their season. Basil is great and I need to get a few more varieties going.

Sage, curry leaf, parsley,Mexican and Italian oregano doing wonderfully.

Thyme is holding on but I expect it to fade out by mid-June.

4 tomato plants - all but one have fruit. The one is isolated and I may move it closer to the others.

4 types of potatoes, 4 bins, everyone still hanging in there. I'm using grow bags for 3 of them. We haven't had the heat until the past two weeks, so maybe I'll get at least as many potatoes as I planted. Last year, I had 16 plants and I got 3 spuds. Some kind of larval demon ate all the leaves off in a two day period and they never recovered.

Fig trees are loaded with fruit so maybe the squirrels will leave us one or two for our dessert.

Meyer lemon tree is full of fruit but a lot of it has dried up. Again, if anything lasts, the squirrels will probably get them.
    The new grape vine was full of flower clusters but I do believe the birds finished them off. It's okay because it really should put down another year of growth before putting the energy into fruit.

I had a whole yard of volunteer pumpkins but they're finished. Too dry.

We're in Critical Stage drought here, no outdoor watering. I fill the pots, fill the bird baths and hope for the best. That's also why I don't get too upset with the wildlife scavengers. They're short on water, short on food.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

Patt,

Can you tell me about the curry leaf? I saw it at the garden store and it smelled wonderful! I didn't know about this...

Can you tell me about the curry leaf? I saw it at the garden store and it smelled wonderful! I didn't know about this...
    It does smell great, like Indian spices toasting. It loves our heat and humidity. In winter, it drops the leaves. The plant seems to be cold sensitive and if we get a frost, the stalks die off. In the spring, it sends out new shoots and starts again. Very manageable size for our climate. I don't know what it would do in your winters.

I've used it as an herb for oven roasted chicken and seen it as a fried garnish in some recipes. Here's a picture of mine.

Name:  Curry leaf plant.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  5.5 KB
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...

Nice! Thank you. I try to keep most of my herbs in containers so I can bring them in in the fall.

I can see that going very well with roasted chicken. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

It's so neat to see all my fruit trees blooming (including both apple trees!), but I'm concerned that I haven't seen any bees at all this spring. Granted, it's been rainy/windy for the last 10 days, but I'm wondering. Has anyone else noticed an absence of bees in their area?
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post
    It's so neat to see all my fruit trees blooming (including both apple trees!), but I'm concerned that I haven't seen any bees at all this spring. Granted, it's been rainy/windy for the last 10 days, but I'm wondering. Has anyone else noticed an absence of bees in their area?
    I haven't noticed any honey bees this year, only carpenter bees.

I don't think I've seen honey bees at all this year. We have pollinators - wasps, carpenter bees, others, but so far, no bees. Not really surprising considering the recent die-offs of feral bees.

We still have a lot of honey bees in addition to various solitary bees and more carpenter bees than we would like. I find it very interesting that all the pollinators seem to prefer my herbs to any other flowering plants. Right now the rosemary and oregano are covered with bees who ignore the other 10,000 blooms in my yard. I wonder what their honey tastes like?

I'm very interested in the curry leaf plant patt mentioned. My usual source for special plants told me that genus was under quarantine here because of a disease, but gave me the address of a nursery that caters to the Indian trade in our community.

As for the possums and rats, not a prayer of eradicating them nor would I want to. I haven't seen one snail or slug since the possums arrived. We mostly have arborial rats that live primarily in the trees. I only see them running the electrical wires after dark.

Yeah, drought is always our nemesis in Texas, that and flood. This is forecast to be an especially active year for tropical storms so we just got the generator serviced and next week we lay in the extra gasoline, water and food.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    I used to feel neutral about possums until one killed both of my adult geese. It was a horrible death for them and we caught the perp and disposed of it, too.
    I had no idea that they weren't vegs or just scavengers. That is so sad.

I had to replace a couple of squash plants but pretty much wrapped up the planting until the lettuce is done. I will plant pumpkins in that spot. Knock on wood, everything seems to be doing well. Should have a bounty this year. Yea!

I just happened to be at the garden store so I bought some of the curry spice. OMG, now I know Ive been shopping too much because I can't remember what else I bought. It wasn't dill. They were out of it. I'm not a huge fan but I don't know what that has to do with it. Oh! I remember one of them is epazote. I was surprised to find it and took it as an omen.

Happy Gardening!

It wasn't dill. They were out of it. I'm not a huge fan but I don't know what that has to do with it.
    If you still want dill pick up a pack of seeds. They germinate in 10-14 days. Just scatter the seeds on top of the soil like you would lettuce.

Lost my first tomato to something, probably the mockingbird family. It was on the ground with the inside all pecked out. Oh well, I'm willing to share because I love mockingbirds. Score so far on tomatoes is me 2, predator 1.

Saturday I'm grilling my first eggplant along with the most beautiful yellow squash from my neighbor's garden.

Huh. We have our first mockingbird this year. I love listening to her. Only the purple martins and red wing black birds are more beloved. I've put an owl out on the grape arbor to deter the birds. Not sure if it's close enough to the veggie garden to help. I have had a few strawberries chewed on. I just wish they'd finished them

Ended up picking a basket full of berries yesterday. They look very nice. May not be a huge crop this year. We've had 3 days of 90's. They need water so I hope we're going to get what's predicted. I should water my corn regardless. Did see sproutlings last night. Ah, summer.

I've put an owl out on the grape arbor to deter the birds. Not sure if it's close enough to the veggie garden to help.
    I keep one in the garden too, but I don't think it's really any deterrent. I've seen birds perched on its head and what they left behind.

Well darn! Oh well. Thanks for saving me from running out and buying my own owl.

I think the problem is that songbirds like jays and mockingbirds are daylight feeders and owls are nocturnal predators. And the daylight birds know it.

We ate our first tomato tonight and the taste reminded us again of why we fight the bugs, birds, and critters to grow a tomato. One of our favorite summer meals is a simple tomato caprese, good ciabatta and watermelon.

We also grilled the first of our eggplant crop along with some awesome yellow squash from the neighbors. Life is good.