Community Message Boards

Thread: Favorite Russian recipes please

Favorite Russian recipes please

My son is in love with a Russian gal. I have a handful of Russian recipes I like but would like to tap your resources for some tasty faves.
    Thanks

I've done a Russian dinner at church several times. These are some of the recipes I did. I actually liked everything I'm posting (and everything I did for the dinner except borscht). The chicken paprikash in particular I really really like and all of the dessert recipes, especially the 15 layer cake (seriously, this is to die for ) and the kissel.

Periogies are also really good but we were doing so many other things and those are readily available from the store, so we bought them.

And I'm sorry there are pretty much no attributions. Some came from church members, some from library books, some from ruscuisine.com and some from recipes I collected off the internet a loooooong time ago.

Pickled Mushrooms

2 1/2 lbs small mushrooms

Brine
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup vinegar
    1 3/4 cup water
    10 peppercorns
    3 bay leaves

Cook mushrooms over medium heat in boiling water with salt until they are on the bottom of pan, 15-20 minutes. Drain and place mushrooms in sterilized jars.

Make brine. Boil 1 3/4 cup water with spices for 30 minutes. Add salt and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Add vinegar and bring to a boil. Pour over mushrooms. Close jars and refrigerate 3 days before servings.

Eggplant Caviar

1 lg eggplant (1 1/2-2 lbs)
    1 med onion, finely chopped
    1 med tomato, peeled and finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Tbs olive oil
    2 Tbs red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper
    fresh parsley

Pierce eggplant with a fork several times. Bake at 375 degrees until soft, about 50 minutes, turning midway through baking time. Cool. Cut in half and remove pulp. Chop very fine. Combine with onion, tomato, garlic, oil and vinegar. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate several hours before serving. Garnish with parsley. Serve with crackers or bread.

Warm Carrot Salad with Caraway Dressing

1 lb baby carrots
    1 tsp toasted caraway seeds
    2 Tbs white vinegar
    2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    salt and pepper

Steam carrots over boiling water, covered, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Whisk together caraway, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper to taste until dressing is emulsified. Add hot carrots and toss to combine.

Chicken Paprikash

2 Tbs butter
    1 onion, chopped
    3 Tbs paprika
    3 Tbs oil
    4 lbs chicken
    1 green bell pepper
    1 red bell pepper
    4 tomatoes
    salt and pepper
    1/4 tsp marjoram
    1 cup chicken broth
    2 Tbs sour cream
    3 Tbs heavy cream
    1 Tbs fresh parsley

Sauté onion in butter in large Dutch oven until softened, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and stir until onions turn reddish brown.

Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Add chicken to onions in Dutch oven. Add peppers and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, marjoram and stock. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 40 minutes.

Combine sour cream and heavy cream. Remove chicken from Dutch oven. Whisk a little of the hot liquid into sour cream mixture, then add to Dutch oven. Reduce over high heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Spoon over chicken, sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Beef Stroganoff

2 lbs sirloin, cut into strips
    1/2 cup flour
    salt and pepper
    9 Tbs butter
    1 onion, chopped
    1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    2 Tbs Dijon mustard
    cooked noodles

Combine flour, salt and pepper. Dredge meat in flour mixture and sauté in 6 Tbs butter until browned. Fry onions in remaining butter for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté 6-8 minutes. Add meat and cook an additional 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and mustard. Heat thoroughly but do not boil. If mixture is too thick, thin with a little milk. Serve over noodles.

Note: I never use that much butter, just enough to grease bottom of pan.

Golubtsy – Cabbage Rolls

1 green cabbage

Filling
    1 cup cooked rice
    2 carrots
    2 onions
    18 oz mushrooms
    salt and pepper
    1 slice bread, crumbled
    3 Tbs milk
    1 Worcestershire sauce*

Sauce
    2 Tbs butter
    1 onion, chopped
    salt and pepper
    1/2 tsp paprika
    one 16 oz can tomatoes
    12 oz tomato paste
    2-4 Tbs sugar (to taste)
    1/4 cup lemon juice

Drop cabbage into a large pot of boiling water and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from water, leave water boiling, and carefully remove as many leaves as you can until it becomes difficult to separate them. Return cabbage to the boiling water and repeat until the whole cabbage has been separated (discard the smallest inner leaves). Trim the wide center vein on each leaf so it bends easily.

For the Filling: Finely chop carrots, onions and mushrooms. Sauté until tender, then add to rice along with bread, milk, Worcestershire and salt and pepper to taste. Divide mixture among cabbage leaves and roll up snugly, forming a bundle.

For the Sauce: Melt butter and sauté onion. Stir in salt and pepper to taste, paprika, tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice and sugar to taste. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Stovetop: Place sauce in a skillet and top with cabbage bundles, seam side down. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes.

Oven: Spoon a little sauce in bottom of a 9x13 pan. Top with cabbage bundles in a single layer, seam side down. Pour remaining sauce over top and bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Berry Kissel

1/2 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups water
    5 cups blackberries
    4 cups raspberries
    1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice

Whisk in sugar, cornstarch, and salt until combined well. In a saucepan simmer water and 1/8 cup each type of berry 2 minutes. Drain mixture in a sieve set over a bowl, reserving liquid. Transfer cooked berries to a large bowl and stir in remaining fresh berries.

Gradually whisk reserved hot liquid into sugar mixture until smooth. Transfer mixture to pan. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking, and simmer, whisking, 3 minutes. Immediately pour mixture through sieve into berries and stir until combined well. Stir in lemon juice. Chill kissel, covered, at least 2 hours, or until cold.

Hazelnut Rusks

2 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup flour
    1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped hazelnuts

Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in nuts and flour. Pour into greased 8-inch loaf pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 50 minutes. Turn out of pan, wrap in a moist dishtowel and let stand for 4 hours. Cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices, place on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees until lightly browned and crisp, about 3 hours. Makes 2 dozen.

15-Layer Russian Honey Cake

2 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 Tbs honey
    7 Tbs butter
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg

Filling & Topping
    3 1/2 cups sour cream
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 Tbs honey
    1/2-1 cup crushed cookies or ground walnuts for coating

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat eggs well with sugar. Add baking soda and honey. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat (Just barely melt it, don't let it get too hot). Stir in egg mixture and mix until mass has no lumps (it will be very thick and hard to stir). Remove from heat and cool.

Divide dough into 15 pieces. Roll each layer very thin, using extra flour as needed, and cut into 7-inch circles. Bake at 350 degrees F for 2-4 minutes, until golden brown in color. Allow to cool.

Beat sour cream, sugar and honey until sugar dissolves. The mixture will be fairly liquid. Coat each layer with cream and assemble cake. Then coat the sides and top with the cream and sprinkle with cookie crumbs or walnuts. Refrigerate for at least six hours before serving.

Chuchkella (Grape and Walnut Candy)

35 whole walnuts, shelled
    4 lbs green or purple seedless grapes
    1 Tbs potato starch dissolved in 1 Tbs cold water

String the walnuts in the following manner: Tie a knot one inch from the ends of two strings each 12 inches long. Then thread the end of one string through the eye of a strong needle. As if you were stringing beads, insert the needle through the center of 18 walnuts. Tie a knot after the last walnut and join the unstrung end of the string into a loop. Thread the second string and loop the other walnuts similarly.

A cup at a time, puree the grapes. Strain through cheesecloth-lined sieve set over a 2-qt saucepan and discard the skins.

Bring the blended puree to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Boil briskly, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the blend has cooked down to 2 cups. Stir in the potato starch-water mixture and, stirring constantly, cook another minute or two, until the sauce thickens enough to coat a spoon heavily. Set aside.

Holding the looped end, dip the strings of walnuts into the sauce, coating them thoroughly. Hang the loops where they will dry quickly. Place a paper plate under them to catch the drippings. If you have a fan then you can dry them even quicker. When the nuts have dried and are no longer sticky, warm the juice to lukewarm and dip the walnuts again. Dry as before, then repeat the dipping and drying process until the nuts are completely coated and there is no longer any separation between them.

Note: If you'd like, you can skip the whole grapes part. Just start out with 4 cups 100% unsweetened grape juice and boil until it reduces to 2 cups, then stir in potato starch-water mixture and continue as above.
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Thank you so much for all your recipes

I've tried and/or posted a few Russian recipes:

Chickpea and Onion Stew at http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...613#post952613

Medianyky (Honey Cookies) at http://community.cookinglight.com/ar...p/t-46338.html

Ponchiki (Russian doughnuts) at http://amethysts-recipes.com/book/in...ion=24&page=39

Kievian Verguny at http://www.ruscuisine.com/recipes/br...pastry/n--367/

and these tasty cookies that are much the same as Mexican Wedding Cakes:

RUSSIAN TEA COOKIES

- makes ~ 4-1/2 dozen cookies
    -for another recipe and other info on these cookies see http://www.joyofbaking.com/Mexican%2...g%20Cakes.html

1 c. butter
    1/2 c. powdered (icing, confectioner’s) sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2-1/4 c. sifted flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 c. nuts finely, chopped
    icing sugar for rolling (1 cup or more)

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt well; combine with butter mixture. Stir in nuts.
    Roll dough into balls and bake at 350 degrees. Shake in powdered sugar when baked. Dough is easier to roll if allowed to chill first.
    Andy’s notes: I usually use pecans for the nuts - I don’t usually toast them for these but they can be. Roll the baked cookies in a bowl of icing as soon as possible after removing from the oven, then place on a rack to cool. When cool, re-roll in icing sugar if desired.
    Cheers! Andy

This is a traditional Russian super-simple recipe.

Mushrooms in Sour Cream -

1 pound mushrooms, 1/4" slices
    1 onion, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    3 tablespoons sour cream
    salt and pepper, to taste
    green onion tops, chopped

In a medium, non-stick pan, saute onion in olive oil until golden. In a separate, pan, saute the mushrooms in olive oil until soft. Drain any excess juices, leaving behind a small amount of juice. Combine mushrooms and onions. Add sour cream, sprinkle with salt and pepper and garnish with green onions. (You can omit the olive oil and assemble this uncooked.)

I have to give a shout out for borscht! I have home grown beets I am just waiting to use once it cools off enough to eat soup.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    I am just waiting to use once it cools off enough to eat soup.
    Cold Borscht Soup is perfect for serving in the heat of summer!

Thanks for the new recipes. I will definitely make the Russian Tea Cookies for Xmas. My problem was the dough always seemed very dry and the batter crumbled easily. But the Mexican Wedding cakes are almost identical but so much more pliable:
    Mexican Wedding Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for coating baked cookies
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting hands
    1 cup pecans, chopped into very small pieces

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar at low speed until smooth. Beat in the vanilla. At low speed gradually add the flour. Mix in the pecans with a spatula. With floured hands, take out about 1 tablespoon of dough and shape into a crescent. Continue to dust hands with flour as you make more cookies. Place onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle but still warm, roll in additional confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks.

Has any one prepared them early and frozen them? I could see storing them in confectioners sugar

I am not a big fan (or even a little) of beets so have always avoided borscht. However, our Gourmet Club did a Russian dinner with a borscht with beef and other vegetables that was very nice.

I will definitely do the chickpea and onion stew because we will be at my Veggie Boy and Gal's for Xmas. It just sound plain wonderful anyway!

So now I am e-mailing my future DIL (ah yes I knew that dream vacation will land them engaged! We trade recipes. She has a gorgeous figure which she works on but is from Siberia where everything is carbs and fat to offset the temperatures.

We have had fun communicating. Tomorrow I am bringing a recipe we both shared that has a garlic challenge. I am providing a garlic alert sign and breath mints but Dasha and I both love garlic. I toned the original recipe down by using only regular paprika and adding 1/4 cup sour cream. Halved grape tomatoes lengthwise and will be sprinkling with paprika and will stick a few chives up for garnish. Message to self: send photo to Dasha. It is a bridge group with several senior citizens who may not tolerate all that raw garlic. Future DIL and I are planning to serve it when she visits for Xmas and meets my other son and his wife. I told her Mitch's mountain bike team stole my big jar of minced garlic to use as condiment on their meals that I prepared. She confessed she does same thing when she is alone.

Here is recipe:
    Garlic Cheese

Called pikantny syr (spicy cheese) in Russian, this is a popular appetizer in Siberia and the Russian Far East. In restaurants it is usually served as a stuffing for ripe red tomatoes, or as a spread for chewy-textured Russian bread. The combination of cheeses used in this recipe approximates the taste of the cheese used in Asian Russia. Plenty of garlic provides the kick; you can also add some cayenne pepper to make the cheese even hotter. Russians make this dish by putting all the ingredients through a meat grinder--but you can shred the cheese by hand or even use a food processor.

1/2 pound (8 ounces) medium-sharp white cheddar cheese, finely shredded
    1/2 pound (8 ounces) Emmentaler cheese, finely shredded
    1/4 cup pure sour cream (containing no additives)
    1/4 cup full-fat mayonnaise
    8 to 10 large garlic cloves, put through a garlic press (8 is a LOT)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or hot paprika (optional) --(I omitted for seniors)
    1/4 teaspoon salt (omitted - didn't need)

Toss the shredded cheeses by hand in a large bowl. Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, pressed garlic, hot pepper (optional), and salt in a small bowl, then add to the cheese, stirring to mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours (and preferably overnight) to let the flavors meld. Let the cheese mixture come to room temperature before serving. Use as a stuffing for small firm ripe tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, as a topping for baked potatoes, or as a spread for dark bread.
    Yield: Approximately 3 cups.
    Heat scale: Medium

I am going to add this to my potato bar recipe collection
    Last edited by margeslp; 09-14-2013 at 10:16 AM.