Community Message Boards

Thread: Roasted Shrimp and Orzo/Barefoot Contessa at Home

Roasted Shrimp and Orzo/Barefoot Contessa at Home

I seem to be trying many old recipes that have been sitting in my computer file for years. I made this recipe and I thought it was great. I cut back on the amount, made a few changes/adds (ie, added some red pepper), left out the dill, and cut back on the oil.

Roasted Shrimp and Orzo

2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home (Ina Garten)
    Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:1 hr 0 minCook Time:15 minLevel:EasyServes:6 servings.

Ingredients
    Kosher salt
    Good olive oil
    3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
    1 cup chopped fresh dill
    1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
    1/2 cup small-diced red onion
    3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 08-27-2013 at 11:21 AM.

This is one of my all-time favorites. The first time I made this with the roasted shrimp- omg, those shrimp were so decadent!

Did you leave the dill out because you don't care for it? It's spectacular with the dill.

I almost always reduce the oils and salt in Ina's recipes.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Thank you for reviewing and sharing the recipe. It is a truly beautiful salad!

OH YES! And thanks for the photo LeaHamm

I wish dh liked pasta salads cause that one sounds incredible. Why did you omit the fresh dill?

I left out the dill since I didn't have any on hand. When I saw the recipe on my computer I had all the ingredients except for the dill. I just decided to go with what I had.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I wish dh liked pasta salads cause that one sounds incredible. Why did you omit the fresh dill?
    Does he like grain salads at all? Because I think this would be delicious made with barley instead of the orzo. It would be different, but it would still be very good.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    Does he like grain salads at all? Because I think this would be delicious made with barley instead of the orzo. It would be different, but it would still be very good.

I've never made a grain salad. The more I think about it, maybe this is something I should try. Dh's thing with pasta salads is the typical mayo addition and that doesn't exist in this recipe. But then there's the issue of cold or room temp shrimp vs. warm ... something else he doesn't care for. I'll wait until I have a nice supply of fresh dill in the garden next spring and give it a try.

Farro might be a good sub too. I've made a salad like that without the shrimp and it was very tasty. This could be dinner tonight with shrimp for me and fish for the DH.

I have that book. Thanks for sharing.

Love this salad! You just inspired me for tonight's dinner.

It's a little high in points, but I'm going to try it! I'm loving orzo these days. DH is not fond of cucumber, though, or zucchini -- Any suggestions for a sub?
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Add tomato, yellow squash, cooked carrots, or any vegetable he likes - to his portion. Make your portion, as in the recipe, or to your taste. {BTW, if you peel the zucchini he probably would never recognize it, by its taste,}

For those of you tried it, I agree it is great. I sometimes am hesitant to mention super old recipes (and especially those that received a good amount of mention years back), but then I think that certainly many might have missed it the first time, or forgot all about it. And, I had the recipe in my computer for years and I finally made it.

So watch for a post on CL's Marbled Banana Bread. Ha.

I thought I would post, what I think is one of the first Ina Garten recipes I tried. I cut way back on the oil and salt. Typically leave out the pine nuts since not a fan. And, often play with the veggie combos, based on what I have on hand etc.

Orzo with Roasted Veggies (Barefoot Contessa)

1 small eggplant -- peeled and 3/4-inch diced
    1 red bell pepper -- 1-inch diced
    1 yellow bell pepper -- 1-inch diced
    1 red onion -- peeled and 1-inch diced
    2 garlic cloves -- minced
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 pound orzo

FOR THE DRESSING
    1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice -- (2 lemons)
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

TO ASSEMBLE
    4 scallions -- minced (white and green parts)
    1/4 cup pignolis -- toasted
    3/4 pound good feta -- 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
    15 fresh basil leaves -- cut into chiffonade

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.

Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.

Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil. Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.

Serves 6

Recipe By :Ina Garten
    Source:
    "Barefoot Contessa Parties!"
    Copyright:
    "2001 Clarkson Potter/Publisher"

NOTES : This is a variation of a wonderful dish invented by Sarah Leah Chase for her specialty food store in Nantucket. All these vegetables ripen at the same time and they're readily available, so you can make enough to feed a crowd. Add the dressing when the orzo is still warm so it absorbs into the pasta. This dish is even better made in advance; just check the seasonings and add the pine nuts, feta, and basil leaves at the last minute.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 08-28-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaHamm View Post
    Add tomato, yellow squash, cooked carrots, or any vegetable he likes - to his portion. Make your portion, as in the recipe, or to your taste. {BTW, if you peel the zucchini he probably would never recognize it, by its taste,}
    Thanks, LeaHamm -- carrots will probably work, and I like them, too!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Question: that's a lot of lemon juice - if you cut down on the oil (as always with Ina's recipes) would you also cut down on the lemon?

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    DH is not fond of cucumber, though, or zucchini -- Any suggestions for a sub?
    Serve the cucumber on the side and add to your portion. That's what I do with cilantro, capers and whatever else DH is "less enthusiastic" about.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post
    Question: that's a lot of lemon juice - if you cut down on the oil (as always with Ina's recipes) would you also cut down on the lemon?
    I wouldn't. I've been thinking of adding lemon zest to give the salad an added zing.

A lot of people don't like lemon as much. If in doubt, cut back, taste, then gradually add more until you get it *just right* - for you. (be sure to take notes, so you can duplicate next time). With any recipe you only have to please yourself - not the originator of the recipe, or the cookbook publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    I seem to be trying many old recipes that have been sitting in my computer file for years. I made this recipe and I thought it was great. I cut back on the amount, made a few changes/adds (ie, added some red pepper), left out the dill, and cut back on the oil.

Roasted Shrimp and Orzo

2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home
    I loved this! Sadly I had to make some changes. I went to grab some dill from my neighbour's house, but she must have used it all for her pickles. Because my grandchildren were here longer than initially planned I hadn't properly read the recipe before making it so I missed the part that it was to sit for an hour😜

It was delicious warm! I will do this again soon as a salad.

"Orzo with Roasted Veggies (Barefoot Contessa) "

I have also made this a few times and it has also been very well received!

I would really like to try the Roasted Shrimp and Orzo salad but DH doesn't like orzo. Do you see any reason why another type of pasta wouldn't work? I'm thinking about maybe using penne or bow ties.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgee View Post
    I would really like to try the Roasted Shrimp and Orzo salad but DH doesn't like orzo. Do you see any reason why another type of pasta wouldn't work? I'm thinking about maybe using penne or bow ties.
    How about any of the tiny soup size pastas or even rice? Why doesn't hubby like orzo?

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    How about any of the tiny soup size pastas or even rice? Why doesn't hubby like orzo?
    He doesn't like tiny pasta and I don't like rice in a salad.
    Last edited by mcgee; 08-31-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgee View Post
    I don't see why not. I'd probably go with the bow ties given the flatter surface.