Community Message Boards

Thread: Best substitute for wheat flour?

Best substitute for wheat flour?

As the holidays get closer I want to bake ALL THE THINGS.

But wheat and rice are still bothering me too much to consume in even tiny portions.

Has anyone had any great experience with alternative flours? We've used potato flour for gnocchi but I don't want my pies to taste like potatoes.

Suggestions?

I am so sorry you are still having issues.
    Rice is considered the least problematic, and if it is giving you issues, I can't think of anything else less bothersome.

I know some use cornstarch, but that is from corn...and you can't use it alone.

What about making custards, creme brulees, puddings, crustless cheesecakes.
    I have done several of these since I low carb (and I use stevia) and don't miss the crust at all.

If you are determined to make at least one wheat-like dish, have you tried nut flours?
    Almond is typically recommended (I have allergies to that) but I have used pecans, pulsed in my cuisinart and used it for a crust or as "flour" for a brownie-like dessert.
    Last edited by wallycat; 11-10-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I found the following on the Gluten-Free Goddess blog. She has some great tips on a gluten-free Thanksgiving if you haven't already checked her site out.

Karina’s Gluten-Free Baking Tips

Numero Uno: Keep your sense of humor handy. It helps in gluten-free baking, Darling. Hockey pucks and doorstops are inevitable. We’ve all been there. We've all tossed failures into the compost.

Remember the crumb trick- you can always zap failures in the food processor and use the crumbs in other recipes. I freeze crumbs in a zip-lock bag.

For those of you interested in mixing your own gluten-free flour mix from scratch, here is a basic guideline- tweak it to your preference.

Karina's Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix

Combine:

1 cup sorghum flour (aka jowar flour) or millet flour
    1 cup potato starch (not potato flour) or other starch blend
    1/3 to 1/2 cup almond meal, or buckwheat flour
    1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...-tips-for.html

I have also made a gingerbread "cake" using only garbanzo beans as the filler. It was actually quite tasty and now that I am not a fat-phobe, it would probably turn out even tastier!

Soybean flour and garbanzo bean flour may also be something you can try.
    Ground flax seed can be added to thicken things.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garbanz...e-gluten-free/
    Last edited by wallycat; 11-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.

I know several people who swear by coconut flour.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

I have used coconut flour in some things. Be prepared to up the liquids. It is VERY absorbent and it is VERY high in fiber, incase you have IBS, this may or may not cause a problem. It is also a sweeter tasting "flour" so you may need to adjust any sweeteners.

I use spelt, almond and coconut, but I'm not sure if spelt is a problem for gluten sensitivity. However, I have a dear friend who is very gluten sensitive and she is in love with Pamela's Flour. She uses it for pancakes, baking.. everything and her family loves it. Here's a link to it on Amazon. I haven't tried it yet myself. Pamela's Flour
    fixitplan.com
    Our Journey Back From Heart Attack

I remember reading a recipe (on the is CLBB?) of a recipe that used only oats (no flour) -- the oatmeal was whirled to make oat flour. Might not help with the pies etc, and fancy baking, but might work for you for just everyday baking for the family that you can eat too.

Hope you find some good subs that work.

You will likely need a blend of flours and some sort of gum or psyllium to give the non-wheat flours structure to mimic what wheat does. The blog Gluten Free Girl has a library on gluten free baking that can get you started. The link is at the top of the page. She has a general plan for building a gluten-free all-purpose mix to use in her recipes. I was going to suggest the French Laundry's blend called Cup4Cup, but it contains rice.

If your problem is modern wheat that highly hybridized, you may be able to tolerate white spelt flour--it comes in white and whole grain, like regular flour. Spelt does translate cup for cup for regular wheat flour, because it is wheat. It does contain gluten, so skip it if this is your concern. Good luck gearing up for the holidays.

if you would like to try almond butter as the base for a delicious bar cookie, see the blog Elana's Pantry-- almond butter brownies and almond butter blondes are both good recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    I use spelt, almond and coconut, but I'm not sure if spelt is a problem for gluten sensitivity. However, I have a dear friend who is very gluten sensitive and she is in love with Pamela's Flour. She uses it for pancakes, baking.. everything and her family loves it. Here's a link to it on Amazon. I haven't tried it yet myself. Pamela's Flour

That's made with rice flour.

Spelt.... I've done it in the past with no issues but haven't introduced lately. I think I'm going to try oats first then spelt and see how those two items go. I know oats will open up some options. Good suggestion on the spelt as I had forgotten about it.

These are all great suggestions. I have no nut issues so almond might be a great option. Maybe I could do a batch of cookies with coconut as well to see how that goes.

Also check out this site: Gluten Free Girl & the Chef. Lots of options there and she's done a lot of baking!
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger